Rail and Bus Tour in Saint John, New Brunswick

Saint John, NB: Today marks the arrival of the first cruise ship of the 2012 season and the launch of a new tourism product to enhance the Saint John experience for cruise passengers. Ambassatours Gray Line and New Brunswick Southern Railway (NBSR) will be offering a two-hour Rail and Bus Tour. The highlight of this tour is a 45-minute guided train ride over the Reversing Falls as part of the optional shore excursions offered to passengers aboard numerous cruise ships visiting the city through to October 29, 2012. The rail excursion will operate up to eight times per day for each vessel and will consist of a locomotive, three rail cars, and a caboose.

For Carnival Cruises Lines, who have the first ship to visit Saint John in 2012, the new rail tour has already proven to be very popular. The rail excursion will be available to passengers on an estimated 55 cruise ships that will dock in Saint John throughout the 2012 cruise season. The train will board at Harbour Station and travel to the middle of the Reversing Falls rail bridge, where passengers can look down at the rapids while they receive a full interpretation of one of the great wonders of the world. The train will then pass the T.S. Simms Brush Company, Moosehead Brewery, and the Irving Pulp & Paper Mill, then continue over to Bayshore where the focus will be on the Bay of Fundy. Passengers will get to see and learn about many aspects of the city including its downtown core, harbour, residential and industrial areas, and natural attributes.

"This is the first rail shore excursion to be introduced in North America in over 25 years. The introduction of a rail shore excursion option to the Canada - New England cruise itinerary is very significant. History shows that rail tours appeal to all ages and we are confident that this option will actually influence more passengers to invest or reinvest in a Canada - New England cruise, thereby making the port of Saint John even more popular than it already is,” said Shirley Elliot, Ambassatours Gray Line - Saint John Cruise Operations. “We are thrilled to be working with NBSR – it is such a pleasure to work with professionals who 'get it' as to what it takes to deliver a superior world class product. World class is exactly how I’d describe what the visitors will experience on this excursion!"

“NBSR is pleased to be a part of this new excursion to share our city with cruise passengers. Ambassatours has a great team of knowledgeable local guides who are dedicated to delivering a first-class experience,” said Ian Simpson, General Manager of NBSR. “We greatly appreciate the support of Minister Holder and Minister Williams. Their belief in the potential of this new tourism initiative has made the passenger train excursion possible.”

I hope you check it out while you are in our great country...Welcome to all!

:)

Saint John, NB: Today marks the arrival of the first cruise ship of the 2012 season and the launch of a new tourism product to enhance the Saint John experience for cruise passengers. Ambassatours Gray Line and New Brunswick Southern Railway (NBSR) will be offering a two-hour Rail and Bus Tour. The highlight of this tour is a 45-minute guided train ride over the Reversing Falls as part of the optional shore excursions offered to passengers aboard numerous cruise ships visiting the city through to October 29, 2012. The rail excursion will operate up to eight times per day for each vessel and will consist of a locomotive, three rail cars, and a caboose.

For Carnival Cruises Lines, who have the first ship to visit Saint John in 2012, the new rail tour has already proven to be very popular. The rail excursion will be available to passengers on an estimated 55 cruise ships that will dock in Saint John throughout the 2012 cruise season. The train will board at Harbour Station and travel to the middle of the Reversing Falls rail bridge, where passengers can look down at the rapids while they receive a full interpretation of one of the great wonders of the world. The train will then pass the T.S. Simms Brush Company, Moosehead Brewery, and the Irving Pulp & Paper Mill, then continue over to Bayshore where the focus will be on the Bay of Fundy. Passengers will get to see and learn about many aspects of the city including its downtown core, harbour, residential and industrial areas, and natural attributes.

"This is the first rail shore excursion to be introduced in North America in over 25 years. The introduction of a rail shore excursion option to the Canada - New England cruise itinerary is very significant. History shows that rail tours appeal to all ages and we are confident that this option will actually influence more passengers to invest or reinvest in a Canada - New England cruise, thereby making the port of Saint John even more popular than it already is,” said Shirley Elliot, Ambassatours Gray Line - Saint John Cruise Operations. “We are thrilled to be working with NBSR – it is such a pleasure to work with professionals who 'get it' as to what it takes to deliver a superior world class product. World class is exactly how I’d describe what the visitors will experience on this excursion!"

“NBSR is pleased to be a part of this new excursion to share our city with cruise passengers. Ambassatours has a great team of knowledgeable local guides who are dedicated to delivering a first-class experience,” said Ian Simpson, General Manager of NBSR. “We greatly appreciate the support of Minister Holder and Minister Williams. Their belief in the potential of this new tourism initiative has made the passenger train excursion possible.”

nbsrcruiseshiptour2.th.jpg

nbsrcruiseshiptour1.th.jpg

Is this something we can book independently or through Carnival only?

We are 15 days away from our cruise and looking forward to visiting your area.

Is this something we can book independently or through Carnival only?

We are 15 days away from our cruise and looking forward to visiting your area.

Hi there,

I am not too sure if it can be booked independently, but Carnival may have the answers to that one. I did send a note to the Irving company and I will provide more information when I have it!!!! I want to take the excursion myself!

Have a great visit!

• 2 weeks later...

Don't waste your money. The train ride may be billed as 45 minutes. Much of the time is spent not moving or watching two trucks dump wood chips into the paper mill owned by the Irwin family that also owns the train. The guide is loud and leaves much to be desired in his narrative. It was the most unmemorable part of my Disney trip to St. John.

Don't waste your money. The train ride may be billed as 45 minutes. Much of the time is spent not moving or watching two trucks dump wood chips into the paper mill owned by the Irwin family that also owns the train. The guide is loud and leaves much to be desired in his narrative. It was the most unmemorable part of my Disney trip to St. John.

Hi, sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your tour. Please send your comments to the tour operator to suggest improvements. The company who runs the pulp mill is Irving, not Irwin. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi, sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your tour. Please send your comments to the tour operator to suggest improvements. The company who runs the pulp mill is Irving, not Irwin. Thanks.

Nice reply ... I did this tour a few weeks ago and thought it was amazing. LOVED the tour guide Bill .

Let's welcome Jeffk56 to cruise critic as that appears to be his first post and like many others the first post is a negative review of part of a cruise that he took.

Welcome aboard.

Cheers

Dennis

Let's welcome Jeffk56 to cruise critic as that appears to be his first post and like many others the first post is a negative review of part of a cruise that he took.

Welcome aboard.

Cheers

Dennis

Hi Dennis,

I just finished reading some of your South American cruise blog! It is so exciting. I would love to take that cruise. I am not a huge fan of flying either. I used to work in Northern Ontario and I had to take the little Cessnas! It was not a lot of fun in January.

I hope you have a great cruise!

Angela

• 7 months later...

Archived