Disney cruise horn

jubilee

Hi..we where on the Carnival Elation July 18,04 and we docked next to the Disney Magic in Cozumel..we they docked there horn or what ever they call it played "When you wish upon a star"..i was wondering how often do they honk the horn??

Thanks

usually only when leaving Port Canaveral and upon arrival into a port. Special occassions I guess would account for more, but in the 5 cruises we have been on with DCL it was just leaving Port Canaveral and arriving in each port :)

we had sort of a horn war with a Costa ship leaving St. Thomas. They kept blowing theirs over ours so Capt. Tom just kept going until you could hear it clearly. Lots of yelling and hooting from the Costa ship during and after it.

We were on the Wonder in 2002 and we absolutely loved it that the ship played "when you wish upon a star". They played it quite frequently on our cruise. Always before leaving a port or passing a ship. They also play a little chiming noise thats supposed to be "magic pixie dust" sound before the captain makes his announcements. Its a nice special touch...Disney magic as usual. :)

Yes, the horn was quite interesting. The other thing I want to post is, we were on another cruise ship, and we had docked. It was early a.m., and we had an aft cabin. Well, I got up and flew out onto our balcony, only to be greated by the passengers from the Disney ship, and Goofy painting the front of the ship. The Disney ship was docked immediately behind us. I promptly slipped back into the cabin and put my bathrobe on. :eek:

I guess it varies. I heard it quite often on my first cruise, and rarely on my second.

I love it so much, I have my PC rigged at work to play it every time I get an email from Cruise Critic.

When we were on the Magic, it played at noon every day. If you are out at the pool deck it is load. After the first day, I made sure to keep an eye on the clock when noon was approaching, so I could be prepared to cover my ears.

• 8 months later...
When we were on the Magic, it played at noon every day. If you are out at the pool deck it is load. After the first day, I made sure to keep an eye on the clock when noon was approaching, so I could be prepared to cover my ears.

When I was on the Magic in 03, they announced on the PA system that the horn was going to sound so those within earshot could cover their ears. Guess somebody complained.

We were in Port Everglades in Ft Lauderdale aboard HAL's Zuiderdam immediately following Hurricane Jeanne and saw both the Wonder and the Magic in port as Port Canaveral was still closed. One was tied up along the pier and the other was just entering the port from the channel when dueling "Wish upon a Star" started. The one inbound played it, followed by the one at the pier replying with its own horn. Then it was repeated, and repeated once more. It was to say the least quite a sight (err...sound). I have a picture of them on my other computer to capture the moment as it does not occur very often.

• 2 weeks later...

I had the pleasure of pointing out to the Master that the horn on both MAGIC and WONDER does not meet SOLAS recommentations or US federal regulations.

However, since he invited my daughter to press the button to sound the horn while leaving port, I decided not to pursue the issue!

Look carefully up the fore mast. The "real" whistles are up there and are seldom used.

I had the pleasure of pointing out to the Master that the horn on both MAGIC and WONDER does not meet SOLAS recommentations or US federal regulations.

However, since he invited my daughter to press the button to sound the horn while leaving port, I decided not to pursue the issue!

LOL Capt BJ!! A few years back I, too, had the pleasure (and excitement, yes, I am a geek) of sounding the horn with my friend and business partner, Ella2. We would have fought over which one got to do it so the Captain suggested we both do it. :D

Cathy

Archived