Bad fall/Good treatment/Pearl Mist

Solo48

I've waited to write this until the curtain came down on whole incident and, I am happy to say, American Cruise Lines (owner of Pearl Seas) behaved beautifully albeit a tad slowly. My parents took the Pearl Mist last summer on a 14 day cruise of the Canadian Maritimes. They were having a very good time when, the day before her 90th birthday, my mother took a fall re-embarking in Quebec City. She suffered broken ribs and a punctured lung. I will not bother with every detail but only say that the crew, the port agent, Ross Baldwin and Pearl Seas took care of both my parents well. They put my 93 year old dad in a hotel and paid for taxi trips to and from the hospital and all meals. My mother was not permitted to fly home because of the punctured lung so I flew to QC and drove them home. After we arrived safely home I wrote to Pearl Seas and detailed the expenses both travel and medical my parents had to pay. Again, I will say the process was rather slow (6 months) but they stepped up and reimbursed my parents for the airfare they couldn't use, all expenses in Canada, and nearly $10,000 in medical and 4 days of missed cruising. The only insurance they purchased was for the missed days. American Cruise Line's Sue Whealen was continually helpful through the process. At times I wondered what the outcome would be. It would have been easy for them to continue to drag this out since my parents are not litigious. On behalf of my parents, I am very impressed and very grateful the outcome. Thank you. p.s. One of my mom's regrets is that they apparently missed the birthday cake the ship's chef had baked for her 90th. She hopes the passengers ate it anyway!