Great Lakes Cruise Company

ILgirl

We are considering a five night cruise on Lake Michigan on the Yorktown over the Fourth of July. Does anyone have any experience with this vessel or line or cruising on Lake Michigan? Any comments would be appreciated.

• 4 weeks later...

Just found this..........No experience with Yorktown but did the Magical Lake Michigan trip with BlountSmallShips a couple of years ago and loved it. They may be having a sale now so would check. We're going to Lake Superior with them this summer. No frills, gambling or spa, but fun people and not the regular cruise stuff.

Oh, also no kids below 14, I think.

Edited by Suitcasefull

ILgirl, when I googled Great Lakes, I was a bit puzzled. The price they showed for the Lake Michigan cruise was very attractive, but it was labeled "Wait List Only". Seems really strange they would be discounting a sold-out cruise. I'm pretty sure the Yorktown was built for the now defunct Clipper Cruise lines and was essentially a large luxury yacht.

Suitcaseful, are you going from Chicago to Duluth or Duluth to Chicago. I considered Duluth to Chicago, but decided instead on the Gulf Coast New Orleans to St Petersburg. I think Captain Mike Kiernan (CapMike04530 on Cruise Critic may be on your sailing. If so, please say hi from Roy in Maryland.

Roy

Suitcaseful, are you going from Chicago to Duluth or Duluth to Chicago. I considered Duluth to Chicago, but decided instead on the Gulf Coast New Orleans to St Petersburg. I think Captain Mike Kiernan (CapMike04530 on Cruise Critic may be on your sailing. If so, please say hi from Roy in Maryland.

Roy

We're doing Duluth to Chicago since dates worked better for us with days up north shore prior. Would have liked to do one of the East Coast sailings this spring but couldn't. Will have to find CapMike on CC...ls he on the Chicago to Duluth or Duluth to Chicago? Have you been on trips with Blount? Which? Thanks!

We're doing Duluth to Chicago since dates worked better for us with days up north shore prior. Would have liked to do one of the East Coast sailings this spring but couldn't. Will have to find CapMike on CC...ls he on the Chicago to Duluth or Duluth to Chicago? Have you been on trips with Blount? Which? Thanks!

I can't find a CapMike04530 on CC. There's a similar one but different last name. Did you type it wrong? Thanks.

I think there are 2 Captain Mikes (I can't remember the other's last name right now), and I think I had the cc name later. I'll have a link later in this post.

Blount (along with Crystal) is one of my favorite cruise lines, and I have an extensive history with them:

1996: Erie Canal (Warren-Chicago)

2001: Lake Michigan

2005: Duluth-Chicago

When I was on the Lake Michigan cruise I fell in love with the hotels on Mackinac Island. On the Duluth-Chicago trip I noticed an overnight stay there, talked to the office, and booked a hotel that night. When I got on the ship Mackinac Island was crossed off the itinerary and Mackinac City was written in instead. There was a huge sailing race, and the Coast Guard was using our dock. It was too late to cancel the hotel. The ship paused off the island, put me on the skiff and took me ashore. I rode back on the ferry with everybody else the next day to join the ship.

2006: Lake Champlain

2006: Atlantic Coast, Rhode Island to Florida

2007: Belize

2008: Virgin Islands

2009: Rhode Island to Chicago

2010: Chicago to New Orleans

2010: Rhode Island-Maritimes-Quebec

2011: Nashville area to Chicago

2011: Erie Canal

I've said that my 2 favorite cruise lines were Blount and Crystal and here I combined them, with a bit of complication. A flood wiped out a section of the canal. Fortunately, the Mariner was on the Great Lakes side at the time of the flood, and the Grande Caribe on the Atlantic side. Both ships were planning to do the Erie Canal a couple of days apart. Passengers destined for the Grande Mariner were bussed to Montreal and sailed to the break. I was on the Grande Caribe and sailed to the break. We were all bussed to a day at the Baseball Hall of Fame and other Cooperstown NY attractions and then to the other ship where we continued our journey. After a couple days in Montreal I boarded the Crystal Symphony and returned to New York. Captain Mike was on the Grande Caribe, and made a post on my "live" thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=30949411&postcount=55

2012: New England Islands

2013: Gulf of Mexico

In about a week I hope to start a thread here on that cruise.

Roy

Oh, Wow! You've done a lot! Don't you have a free one due? Would love to do all those and hope to add some of them. DH already has one he wants to do in '14. No experience with Crystal. Chances of getting DH in a tux or me in formal are slim to none. Blount's relaxed atmosphere suits us wonderfully. Did figure out that Mike is Captain on Caribe but we're on Mariner so guess won't get to meet him. Loved Jennifer McD and "Little Jen" on Prince. Would like advice from you on anything to do in Montreal but figure CC would prefer it not be on their threads. I have a hotmail account......Suitcasefull at. Thanks!

Oh, Wow! You've done a lot! Don't you have a free one due? Would love to do all those and hope to add some of them. DH already has one he wants to do in '14. No experience with Crystal. Chances of getting DH in a tux or me in formal are slim to none. Blount's relaxed atmosphere suits us wonderfully. Did figure out that Mike is Captain on Caribe but we're on Mariner so guess won't get to meet him. Loved Jennifer McD and "Little Jen" on Prince. Would like advice from you on anything to do in Montreal but figure CC would prefer it not be on their threads. I have a hotmail account......Suitcasefull at. Thanks!

Email sent. This will be my (almost) free cruise. I did pay the port charges and paid for the day early arrival.

Roy

thanks for the research, rafinmd. We did book this cruise, it is now sold out. The vessel was built in 1988 by First Coast Shipbuilding - I'm not certain who it was built for. It sails with 138 passengers. This is our first experience with Great Lakes travel so we're excited for the opportunity.

thanks for the research, rafinmd. We did book this cruise, it is now sold out. The vessel was built in 1988 by First Coast Shipbuilding - I'm not certain who it was built for. It sails with 138 passengers. This is our first experience with Great Lakes travel so we're excited for the opportunity.

I take it you booked the Yorkton correct??

i would be interested in hearing about your experience when you return

We were going to book the Toronto to Chicago cruise but went with the American queen instead

but maybe next year we will do the Yorkton

Lyn

• 3 weeks later...
I am sailing Lake Michigan this summer with the Blount folks. I'm really looking forward to it. The small boat/no frills aspect actually sounds relaxing and stress-free. I'll definitely write a review when I get back. :D

If you suffer with the "Motion of the ocean " be sure to take something with you ;)

They are not really made for open waters

I am sailing Lake Michigan this summer with the Blount folks. I'm really looking forward to it. The small boat/no frills aspect actually sounds relaxing and stress-free. I'll definitely write a review when I get back. :D

We did the Magical Lake Michigan tour in 2011 and loved it! Nice way to see that part of the country. At Holland, MI, if you do the excursion that goes out to the windmill, that fudge shop has the best fudge ever......not too sweet and fabulous! Sample and see. We ordered some when the weather turned cooler and gave for gifts. Nice wines at Mackinac and WI.

Blount crew are known for friendliness and I think Little Jen may be working your cruise. She's a sweetheart and very helpful. (Guess they called her that because there was another Jen on our cruise - they probably just say Jen, now, LOL.)

As far as the motion, we didn't notice it. It's not like they sail across the middle of the lake! The captain stays in the calmer waters and on ours, even went in close to shore when weather was bad one night. No problems. Word of warning: I got hooked on the small ship even though no frills. Totally stress-free and you'll be in for some very pleasant surprises! Hopefully you'll have a fabulous time, too!

Looking forward to your review!

We did the Magical Lake Michigan tour in 2011 and loved it! Nice way to see that part of the country. At Holland, MI, if you do the excursion that goes out to the windmill, that fudge shop has the best fudge ever......not too sweet and fabulous! Sample and see. We ordered some when the weather turned cooler and gave for gifts. Nice wines at Mackinac and WI.

Blount crew are known for friendliness and I think Little Jen may be working your cruise. She's a sweetheart and very helpful. (Guess they called her that because there was another Jen on our cruise - they probably just say Jen, now, LOL.)

As far as the motion, we didn't notice it. It's not like they sail across the middle of the lake! The captain stays in the calmer waters and on ours, even went in close to shore when weather was bad one night. No problems.

Word of warning: I got hooked on the small ship even though no frills. Totally stress-free and you'll be in for some very pleasant surprises! Hopefully you'll have a fabulous time, too!

Looking forward to your review!

Guess that's not to say you might not need Bonine or something if you do ever get motion sickness. We just didn't see a need for it. They may even keep some on board.

Guess that's not to say you might not need Bonine or something if you do ever get motion sickness. We just didn't see a need for it. They may even keep some on board.

On the Grande Caribe Gulf Coast cruise, we were mostly in the intracostal but used the open Gulf of Mexico for about 24 hours. There were about 3 varieties of pills available on the counter in the lounge (we had significant motion for about 4 hours). The Captain repeatedly reminded us the medicines were for prevention and were not effective after symptoms struck. People who are loyal to a particular brand or want something like a patch or wrist band should bring their own.

On my Lake Michigan cruise, our departure from Chicago was delayed 24 hours due to 40 foot seas, not something I would have enjoyed on a ship designed to go under 14-foot bridges. On the extra day in Chicago we were taken to the Chicago zoo.

Roy

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...

I can't comment on any of the ships that cruise Lake Michigan and Holland and Mackinac Island. But I have been all those places many times as I grew up in Michigan, summered on the beaches near Holland, and met my parents yearly after the end of the Chicago Mackinac sailing race. Mackinac Is is a wonderful place....no cars allowed...bikes and horses and carriages only. You can easily bike around the island. Practically flat the entire way. They have accommodations for every budget from the glorious Grand Hotel with seemingly hundreds (maybe not that many but seems so) of rocking chairs on the porch with glorious water views to fancy or basic bed and breakfasts.

We loved to ride horses around the island. The fudge is absolutely out of this world. My favorite is penuche...with or without nuts. It is made with brown sugar.

On your cruise you will see enormous sand dunes as you pass the shoreline on the eastern side of the lake. It is the prevailing west wind that builds and keeps these dunes so high. They do not exist on the west side of the lake.

Word of warning....if you are from a warm weather state.....you will find the water temperature very cold as you get into the northern part of the lake.