How does "Free Gratuities" work?

Hi All. I tried hard to do my homework by searching this site and many others but could not find an answer. I booked a 9-day cruise on Royal Caribbean through WMPH because of an offer for free gratuities.

My question is how does the ship know that I'm not supposed to pay gratuities? How will the crew know that I'm not stiffing them out of a tip when I don't pay at the end of the cruise?

I asked WMPH and did not get an answer. So I asked Royal Caribbean, who told me to ask WMPH. I asked WMPH again and still did not get an answer. Since I did find a post on the internet about someone who got scammed by a "free gratuities" offer, I'm concerned that I'm encountering fraud in advertising because WMPH is not answering my repeated requests to answer a simple question. I guess they have no incentive to provide any customer service since I already paid in full.

Could someone who has actually received free gratuities set my mind at ease please?

Thank you all.

Dan T.

If your travel agent has "pre-paid" your tips, they (the ship) will know. You will get "vouchers" on the last night to give to those who have served you.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. Ask your TA for an invoice showing all of your payments and any benefits....they should be able to provide that to you. (I don't know what WMPH means)

Edited by cb at sea

Thank you to cb at sea for your response. I do have a confirmation email from WMPH, which is the name of my TA, showing itinerary, payment, names of travelers, etc, and, at the bottom of the email a statement saying

Offer Details:

icon_mouseover_promotion.gif

This cruise includes the following bonus offer:

Exclusive Offer: Free Gratuities on Balconies & Suites

• rci_331x331_20101007.gif

I was concerned because Royal Caribbean apparently doesn't know anything about WMPH's offer when I provided them (Royal Caribbean) with my reservation code and asked about the free gratuities. I chose WMPH over other TA's because of this offer!

Thanks again.

Dan

PS. BTW, WMPH is supposed to stand for We Make People "Happy" (emphasis added). They definitely are not making me happy. Next time, I'll ask all questions before paying (to a different TA).

Update:

02 Nov: received cruise documentation from WMPH (the TA) stating “No” under Prepaid Gratuities. Ugh! Sent them message asking why they are not honoring their offer and why they have been ignoring my two requests for help.

02 Nov: received this message from TA,

You are going to receive the Free Gratuities on your reservation. Once you get on the ship you can go to guest services and they will give you a print out showing that you have a credit on your onboard account. They will deduct the rate of gratuities per person every day from that onboard credit. You do not have to pay any other gratuities.”

04 Nov: received below updated invoice from TA with “Pre Paid Gratuities” added and showing as $0.00.

PASSENGER PRICING DETAILS

Description

Pax 1

Pax 2

Pax 3

Pax 4

Pax 5

Cruise (includes taxes/fees)

$x,xxx.xx

$x,xxx.xx

Insurance

Declined

Declined

Pre Paid Gratuities

$0.00

Passenger Totals

$x,xxx.xx

$x,xxx.xx

Total Price:

$x,xxx.xx

Total Received:

-$x,xxx.xx

Final Payment Due

$0.00

Final Payment Due Date

10/20/2010

05 Nov: Checked my online acct with Royal Caribbean, which still shows “No” for Prepaid Gratuities. I guess I better print the above invoice and show Guest Services when I board. I hope I won’t hear “That’s between you and your TA”. I asked Royal Caribbean and am waiting to hear back. It shouldn't have to be this hard.

• 4 years later...

Hi folks, soz i am new to all these forums please bear with me.

I know these gratuities are a pain but i have just booked a cruise with celebrity and they have stated free gratuities, does any body know if i book a drinks package will they be free from GRATS a well???? Thanks

No. Your free gratuities cover your room steward, wait staff and Maitre 'D for dining. Drinks at bars whether taken 'pay as you go' while onboard or as part of a drinks package have their own gratuity added (18%) at point of sale. If you buy a drinks package it will include 18% for gratuity. If you buy individual drinks on board you will charged for the amount of the drink plus an additional 18% grat.

Edited by Mim Lloyd
  • Like 1

02 Nov: received this message from TA,

You are going to receive the Free Gratuities on your reservation. Once you get on the ship you can go to guest services and they will give you a print out showing that you have a credit on your onboard account. They will deduct the rate of gratuities per person every day from that onboard credit. You do not have to pay any other gratuities.”

[

It seems as though your TA is giving you an onboard credit equivalent to the cost of gratuities. Usually OBC from a TA does not show anywhere on any cruiseline documentation but if you go to guest services they will be able to see it on your account - many times OBC does not appear on your account until the second day of the cruise. As mentioned in the response from your TA, your daily gratuities will be charged to your acc't every day but will be covered by the onboard credit that your TA provides.

• 6 months later...

But it is always wise to bring a print out of your reservation showing your perks JUST in case something isn't right once you get on board.

Yes, if you buy a drink package, gratuities are included in it. We love our drink packages--and if we have some servers/bartenders who have been good to us during the cruise, we give them an extra $10 or $20 at the end of the cruise.

• 5 months later...

Yes RCCL's recent free gratuities offer is a scam. I looked up a cruise on a website that stated "free gratuities" and called the cruise travel agent to book it. They put me on hold and came back saying RCCL says I do not get free gratuities on it. We went back and forth several times and even with print outs and screen shots RCCL will not honor it. Then I looked up several online travel sights and all are offering the same free gratuities. I decided to book it online from costcotravel.com and they confirmed the free gratuities. Then I find out RCCL wont honor it even though my receipt says so. It's not the first time RCCL has lied to me. Last time I was on the ship already when I found out that I didn't get what they had promised. I have cruised enough be make Diamond Plus after the next cruise. I guess since they don't honor their offer I will opt out of gratuities and I will not book any excursions with them either. I will cancel the next 3 pre-booked cruises with them also, sad I really liked it on their ships.

• 2 weeks later...
Yes RCCL's recent free gratuities offer is a scam. I looked up a cruise on a website that stated "free gratuities" and called the cruise travel agent to book it. They put me on hold and came back saying RCCL says I do not get free gratuities on it. We went back and forth several times and even with print outs and screen shots RCCL will not honor it. Then I looked up several online travel sights and all are offering the same free gratuities. I decided to book it online from costcotravel.com and they confirmed the free gratuities. Then I find out RCCL wont honor it even though my receipt says so. It's not the first time RCCL has lied to me. Last time I was on the ship already when I found out that I didn't get what they had promised. I have cruised enough be make Diamond Plus after the next cruise. I guess since they don't honor their offer I will opt out of gratuities and I will not book any excursions with them either. I will cancel the next 3 pre-booked cruises with them also, sad I really liked it on their ships.

Are you in an inside? The free gratuities are only for oceanview and above. It was cheaper for me to upgrade from an onside to an OV to get the free gratuities. It may only be for certain sailing dates, as well, for instance may need to be within 2016.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

• 3 months later...

I wonder if there is a website that will alert cruisers to free gratuities specials or do we just need to watch our e-mails from the cruise lines, agents, etc.?

I've just noticed a free gratuities special AND a lower rate for our October cruise from an on-line agent, but unfortunately I've missed out on it because I booked months in advance and I'm past final due date. If I could only predict the future! :)

Edited by LHARTWICK

• 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Our free gratuities from Price Line was listed on the NCL website after you have your booking number.

One warning be careful of the Drink Package , you will still need to pay gratuities on it and it was more expensive than it we had 2 drinks a day , we don't drink much

• 1 year later...

This question makes me wonder about the whole gratuities thing. Obviously, if you get a "free gratuities" offer, the workers don't get stiffed, right? So either the travel agent or the cruiseline is picking up the expense on behalf of the workers. So when the gratuities are added to my account automatically, does it go into a fund that gets distributed to everyone? On my last cruise, I had automatic gratuities reduced to 0 and personally gave generous cash tips to everyone.

This question makes me wonder about the whole gratuities thing. Obviously, if you get a "free gratuities" offer, the workers don't get stiffed, right? So either the travel agent or the cruiseline is picking up the expense on behalf of the workers. So when the gratuities are added to my account automatically, does it go into a fund that gets distributed to everyone? On my last cruise, I had automatic gratuities reduced to 0 and personally gave generous cash tips to everyone.

Yes, if you leave the auto gratuities in place they get distributed to the folks who are supposed to get it which is comprised of the traditionally tipped and tipped out staff. If you tip in cash some people who are supposed to get a portion might not receive it. The same applies if someone pays your gratuities for you.

There is no such thing as 'free gratuities". The TA or the cruise lines are not paying them. You are. They are "included" in the fare you pay to take the cruise.

Yes, if you leave the auto gratuities in place they get distributed to the folks who are supposed to get it which is comprised of the traditionally tipped and tipped out staff. If you tip in cash some people who are supposed to get a portion might not receive it. The same applies if someone pays your gratuities for you.

Thank you. And in the case of a cruise line "free gratuities" sale, for the benefit of the staff, the cruise line fills in for what I didn't have to pay. Right?

There is no such thing as 'free gratuities". The TA or the cruise lines are not paying them. You are. They are "included" in the fare you pay to take the cruise.

The TA very well might be paying them, one would have to do a faux booking through the cruise line's website to figure it out.

Thank you. And in the case of a cruise line "free gratuities" sale, for the benefit of the staff, the cruise line fills in for what I didn't have to pay. Right?

As I understand it, yes. This takes care of your cabin steward and your wait staff. Bar and spa services have gratuities added to each purchase and these are separate from the daily gratuities.

And when $13.50 is added to my account daily, above the cruise fare, am I paying twice?

If you had included gratuities (regardless of source) and are charged daily then it would appear that you are being charged twice. You would need to look at the invoice closely to make sure the $13.50 isn't being offset elsewhere.