Maui excursions

trrn2016

Hi,

We are going on the Pride of America in February, 2018. So confused about excursions for Maui. My husband has problems with motion sickness. Is the road to Hana that bad??

Also, several people recommend renting a car. Need opinions of pros and cons regarding this option. My concern is the driver will not be able to enjoy the scenery.

If we take an excursion, need opinions of the different companies including NCL.

Thanks so much. Just seems a little overwhelming!

Hi,

We are going on the Pride of America in February, 2018. So confused about excursions for Maui. My husband has problems with motion sickness. Is the road to Hana that bad??

Also, several people recommend renting a car. Need opinions of pros and cons regarding this option. My concern is the driver will not be able to enjoy the scenery.

If we take an excursion, need opinions of the different companies including NCL.

Thanks so much. Just seems a little overwhelming!

Yes, if your DH is prone to motion sickness, he might want to choose something other than the road to Hana. Something like 617 hairpin turns can cause a problem that way no matter who is driving. Maui has so many other beautiful places to visit. Our opinion only, but why take chances? Vacations are to be enjoyed - not endured.

Thanks for your reply. Wanting our trip to be perfect!!! Any suggestions appreciated!

You might want to consider a visit to Iao Valley, which is fairly close to the ship and an easy drive (you can google it to see if it appeals). While we don't think your DH would be partial to going up to the summit of Haleakala and back, you can get some beautiful views and fun places to see "Upcountry" (on the slope of Haleakala). Another easy drive and good roads. There are so many things to see. What interests you?

I am studying about Hawaii and still learning what to see on each Island. We are flexible but not wanting to spend a lot on each excursion i.e. 300.00 and up!

If you rent a car you can tour at your own pace and without a busload of other people - and save money over ship tours. As an example, NCL has a tour of the Sugar Museum and Maui Tropical Plantation (3.5 hours total). They want $99.00 per person. On your own, we believe the entrance fee for the Museum is $7.00 each. Admission to the Plantation is free. The tram tour there runs $20.00 each. Do it with NCL and pay $99.00 each. Do it yourself for $27.00 each. Total saved doing it yourself: $72.00 each.

I am studying about Hawaii and still learning what to see on each Island. We are flexible but not wanting to spend a lot on each excursion i.e. 300.00 and up!

Look for a book called Hawaii for Dummies, part of the famous "Dummie" series. It does an excellent job laying out the highlights of each island.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...