Anyone close to retirement? / when do you start counting the days?

Look2Sea

I have a question. Planning on going to Australia for the first time in December, 2018. Was looking at spending Christmas in Melbourne and New Years Eve in Sydney. Your thoughts since I have never been? Is Sydney too crazy to go there for NYE? Looking to spend 4 to 5 weeks there so any tips would be great! TIA

Sorry JInteso, but you may be better asking this on theAustralia / New Zealand page.

We went in April this year and spend 3 days in Sydney prior to boarding a re-positioning cruise on Voyager to Singapore. However, in the 3 days we were in Sydney (pre-cruise) I thought the city was buzzing, it wasclean, the people were very friendly, we felt safe, and it was overall a very enjoyable experience to the point we are going back.

We arrived on the Sunday morning from the UK although very tired we spend the day around Manly beach area.

On the Monday we took a cab to visit Bondi Beach and from there we headed back into town.

We had a Sydney Harbour Bridge Climb booked for 3:00 PM. This was truly awesome and a very worth whilst experience. We would definitely do it again.

On the Tuesday we took a private tour and went to see the Blue Mountains are which was incredible. Think, Grand Canyon but with trees! At the end of that tour we boarded a boat that took us into Sydney Harbour bay all around the Bridge and Opera house area at night which was all lit up. It was stunning.

On the Wednesday we boarded Voyager and then sailed up the East Coast etc as we made our way to Singapore.

As for Sydney in the New Year, I would guest that is the most expensive time but could also be very exciting.

I would also guess itwould be very hot.

It is such a huge county that I guess 4 – 5 weeks is required to get a flavor. I wish we were going back for longer but maybe on day.

I hope that is of some help.

Regards

Ron.

I have a question. Planning on going to Australia for the first time in December, 2018. Was looking at spending Christmas in Melbourne and New Years Eve in Sydney. Your thoughts since I have never been? Is Sydney too crazy to go there for NYE? Looking to spend 4 to 5 weeks there so any tips would be great! TIA

Hello

We didn't stay in Melbourne during Christmas or Sydney over New Years.

We stayed in Tasmania Dec.2016, Jan., & Feb. 2017, Which we loved. Over Christmas/New Years from Dec. 3rd to Jan. 16th we stayed in Penguin Tas. It's located on the northwest coast.

The owners (Terry & Fran born & raised in this area.) of the place (Sunrise at Penguin - beach retreat) we rented were Fantastic including and informing us of everything going on in and around this lovely small town.

https://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p9175626

After a 12 day cruise Sydney to Sydney March 1st to 13th.

We stayed 40 days from March 13th to April 22nd in Fairlight/Manly area of Sydney. When we boarded our 24 day T/P cruise from Sydney to Seattle on April 22nd.

We rented another Fantastic 1 bedroom apartment (it also has several B&B rooms available). A short Manly ferry ride to Sydney.

During our stay we met several of the renters who stayed in the B&B they also raved about their rooms.

The owner (Bob) of the place (Fairlight Gardens, Bed and Breakfast) On our arrival gave us each a Opal card to use during our stay (then return) on all public transportation ferries, trains, buses,. He showed us how to top them up. He has lived in this area since 1974 and is very knowledgeable and helpful.

http://fairlightgardens.com.au/

Both of these places are in great locations with great views, and both the owners are over the top as far as service & being helpful. This was during the rental process and the time we stayed.

We had a great time on our 2017 T/P. I sure your stay in Australia and T/P cruise will be as well.

Where ever you stay the Aussie & Kiwi(NZ) people are fantastic and will make your trip wonderful.

Tom,

Hi,

Well done to you for booking that and I envy you. In my humble opinion, anything less than 5 years to go till "R" day, is within the "countdown" phase so I think we well qualify. If you haven't been to Sydney before then you are in for a great time, as its a beautiful city and the Blue Mountains are well worth a visit.

Thanks Ron

I have been to Sydney before for a short pre cruise visit several years ago

I will try to the to the Blue mountains on the next, end of countdown trip.

Denise

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not all that close to retirement unless I happen to lose my full-time job again between now and when I actually want to (lost my job of 15 years two years ago and have only just started to recover, albeit on a much smaller salary), but have 3 retirement schemes I can implement to quit working completely at either 62, 64, or 65+, and all allow for about the same lifestyle we enjoy now.

I am quite looking forward to it though and have decided that I am absolutely not going to work past the age of 66, no matter what.

• 2 weeks later...

I started a countdown calendar at 1000 days, it was fun to watch the days go by. Since retiring at 55 we have done a lot of cruises, mostly through Asia, Australia, New Zealand, and South American. All have been between 20 - 36 days. Trying to get all the long flights over with while we still can handle the 12 plus hours flights.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I started a countdown calendar at 1000 days, it was fun to watch the days go by. Since retiring at 55 we have done a lot of cruises, mostly through Asia, Australia, New Zealand, and South American. All have been between 20 - 36 days. Trying to get all the long flights over with while we still can handle the 12 plus hours flights.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yes, trying to figure out how many FF miles I will need to fly to Australia on Premium economy or best case, Business class. Got a little spoiled by having a surprise free upgrade to Business 5 years ago. Not expecting that lightning bolt to strike again. :halo:

Denise- 600 Days to go!

DH is beginning his third year of retirement from teaching. He was able to take his state health care plan into retirement, enabling him to retire at 60. He has not regretted retiring early. He does a little substitute teaching to supplement income and keep busy -as long as he is enjoying it, he will keep doing it, as it is very flexible and he makes a decent wage for a day's work.

I work for a private university, so I have to work to keep my healthcare benefits. I plan to retire when I go on medicare less than 4 1/2 years from now. My job is pretty flexible, as I have long weekends many weeks and have several weeks "off" (read unpaid) in the summer.

We love to travel, so we love the idea of more time to do so. At the same time, out budget is tighter now. We have learned to economize on most things , with the occasional splurge on things we really enjoy.

In the past we had to cruise at "high dollar" times due to our academic schedule, but look forward to taking advantage of lower fares in the off-peak season.

Edited by simplelife

really wish I could retire now!!! I am 56 (almost 57) and I am so ready. have so many things I just don't have time to really explore working full time. want to retire in a few years but will probably need to wait until I get medicare at 64. just practical. I need insurance and my job has good insurance so I guess I will wait

really wish I could retire now!!! I am 56 (almost 57) and I am so ready. have so many things I just don't have time to really explore working full time. want to retire in a few years but will probably need to wait until I get medicare at 64. just practical. I need insurance and my job has good insurance so I guess I will wait

I retired two years ago and haven't had insurance --- As of the 1st I now have medicare (I turn 65 this month) ... It is very exciting. Perhaps where you are it is different, but I had to wait until I was 65 to be eligible. Jan

Medicare is at 65. I retired at 62. The college where I taught had a perk that if you had been there 15 years and were 62, you got to continue your healthcare at the same rate you paid while working. It was a reasonable rate. Hubby and I Both turned 65 in July so we moved into Medicare and the college pays for both of our supplements and drug coverage. I'm thankful to have been able to retire then, as I have always provided our insurance.

Medicare is at 65. I retired at 62. The college where I taught had a perk that if you had been there 15 years and were 62, you got to continue your healthcare at the same rate you paid while working. It was a reasonable rate.

DW got PPO medical for both of us as part of her retirement package from Disney. It's about $12 a month (not a typo), which is absolutely outstanding. It's also a survivor benefit, so if anything happens to her before I reach Medicare eligibility I can keep it going for myself. Not that I have a real need - I pretty sure I'm genetically bulletproof when it comes to my health.

No, what keeps me in the workplace is a shortfall in retirement savings caused by the economic downturn of the last decade and a house that isn't paid off yet. If it wasn't for those two things I'd be out now too. Like a previous poster said - too many things I want to do that I don't have time for with a full-time work schedule.

DW retired in 2005. Man, if we'd have known what was coming in 2007 I think we'd have planned on her keeping going for a few more years.

• 2 weeks later...

Needing health insurance and the fact that my husband got sick 12 1/2 years ago, is the reason I am still working. I also do like my job and make good money. My husband has two illnesses in his early 50's and had to go on disability which put us back financially. If I work two more years, I can have the house paid off and pay off some bills. I will be 66 in Feb. and I plan to state taking my SS and still work. When I retire, I plan to work part time to help pay for extra insurance since I can't take my health insurance with me.

I'm down to around 200 days (haven't set the exact date yet but somewhere in about a 3 week range). DH took early retirement about a dozen years ago so we have been a one career couple since then. It felt like quite a luxury after so many years of two jobs. He takes care of most home stuff (and provided day care for our grandchildren before they were old enough for preschool). so it will be interesting to see how things shift when both of us are retired.

He turned 70 this year and started his Social Security. From his job he has retiree medical coverage which we haven't been using because my employee coverage is cheaper and better. Once I retire, we will start Medicare and the retiree medical coverage will help cover the supplemental and drug coverage or advantage plan.

I'm down to around 200 days (haven't set the exact date yet but somewhere in about a 3 week range). DH took early retirement about a dozen years ago so we have been a one career couple since then. It felt like quite a luxury after so many years of two jobs. He takes care of most home stuff ....... so it will be interesting to see how things shift when both of us are retired. .

Very close to our pattern. I am looking to retire about July 31st next year. Husband has been retired more than 10 years and been house spouse.

• 2 weeks later...
I'll start getting Medicare benefits on the first and hubby started August first. So nice not to worry about the big deductible we had before!!! $3,000, thank you very much! I think Medicare is $250!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Forums mobile app

Well, Debbie I think I have finally hit a wall. First, this school year we are doing a standards base report card which is a different way of grading. Yesterday, I was at a large group meeting and they were discussing a new way of evaluation of teachers. Last year we started a new language arts program that does not have reading books but uses fiction books. I think I can safely say one my year and I will retire. Too many changes.

That sounds like Common Core. That is what happened when it first started here. One reason I left too. Last half year I took an aides position. A big cut in pay, but I didn't lose my sanity...lol. I hope it gets better for you. Our evaluations changed too. They would come in for 90 minutes, tape recorded everything you said, and used laptops to continually write notes. I think it was like 150 benchmarks needed to be covered. Also grading scale from 1-4. 4 got you $300 more a year, not a month, a 1 or 2 got you more work and having to observe other teachers. I think a 3 you got $150 more a year, not monthly. Don't miss any of it!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Forums mobile app