How is the Splash Academy on the Pride of America?

amarvel

I can't seem to find much info about Splash academy and how it works on the POA. Anyone have experience? We don't plan to get off every day like it seems most do. Does the kids area have activities even while in port? Is it still free even though we are in port and you just pay for lunch like other itineraries? Anyone have a photo of the splash Academy list of activities?

A few things: we are very familiar with splash academy and how it works in general but am trying to find out if its the same on the POA or not. Like can a child stay on the ship while its at port and have activities to do in the Splash Academy. we've been to Hawaii so we don't need two days in maui or Kauai. it would be better for my youngest to have a few breaks from touring everyday and have time in the kids area, so we are totally fine with having just one day in Maui and turning the 2nd day into a relax on the ship day as long as the kids area is open and running for the kids.

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't seen one, and I'm still curious too. Interested in the hours of the kids club on all the port days. It would also be helpful to know which nights have special kid events, since that affects when we do a family dinner vs. dropping them off.

We used Splash Academy when we were on the POA in June (my son is 12 years old). They had activities all day, and only charged for lunch when we were in port (they took the kids to the Cadillac Diner). I don't have a list of activities, but I recall some science experiments (egg drop), some art projects and various games. I know that one night they had a pajama night. We went very early in June, so there were not a lot of kids on the ship, and I noticed that my son was sometimes the only "older" kid there (most were between 5 and 10 years old). They took them to the teen hangout once, just to check it out and see what it was like. BTW - we did the same thing on the second day in Maui, and just relaxed on the ship. The kids area was open as usual, and it worked out just fine for all of us.

We used Splash Academy when we were on the POA in June (my son is 12 years old). They had activities all day, and only charged for lunch when we were in port (they took the kids to the Cadillac Diner). I don't have a list of activities, but I recall some science experiments (egg drop), some art projects and various games. I know that one night they had a pajama night. We went very early in June, so there were not a lot of kids on the ship, and I noticed that my son was sometimes the only "older" kid there (most were between 5 and 10 years old). They took them to the teen hangout once, just to check it out and see what it was like. BTW - we did the same thing on the second day in Maui, and just relaxed on the ship. The kids area was open as usual, and it worked out just fine for all of us.

Thanks! That's really helpful!

Do you remember what time it opened in the morning on the second day in Maui/Kauaii? I found the usual hours on the NCL site but there's no "arrival into port" on those days. Is it 8 or 9 am? And if we dock at 7 will they open as early as 7 or later like 9 or 10? This was kind of a stressful thing on our last NCL cruise so I'm trying to adjust my expectations.

Norwegian Fleet Embarkation Day

8:00 p.m. - 10:30 p.m.

Port Days

Port Arrival Time - 10:30 p.m.

Sea Days

9:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m./2:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m./7:00 p.m. - 10:30 p.m.

Late Night Fun Zone

10:30 p.m. - 1:30 a.m. nightly

The center closes at 12:00 p.m. and 5:00 p.m. Children must be picked up at these times. Pick-up late fees may apply.

I remember asking about that on the second Maui day. I believe you had to register your child the day before if you were planning on dropping him/her off early for breakfast, so the staff knew to be there early. I think the "early" time for breakfast was 8 am, and the regular open hour was 9.

I remember asking about that on the second Maui day. I believe you had to register your child the day before if you were planning on dropping him/her off early for breakfast, so the staff knew to be there early. I think the "early" time for breakfast was 8 am, and the regular open hour was 9.

Perfect, thanks!

I always find the "early" times for child care on vacation is several hours later than our family is likely to get up. :rolleyes: On the Jewel it seemed like whenever we got settled in (esp. at the Thermal Spa) it was 20 minutes before we had to pick them up. I guess it matters less on the POA since its all Port days and no Sea days. It helps me to figure this all out in advance.

Thought of another one:

On Port Days can you do dropoffs during meal times or do the usual meal time closures apply? For instance on they day in Hilo we depart at 6pm. Do we still need to wait until 7pm to drop off the kids (Sea Day times) like the usual schedule or could we drop off earlier?

Technically its a port day, but at that point we're at sea, and even if we were in port I suspect the counselors are all with kids at a meal.

• 2 weeks later...