Live from Silver Muse: What Do You Want to Know?

editor@cruisecritic

Hi, TLCOhio. I was just on another thread in the Silversea forum, and Master Echo reported that Silversea's chairman, Manfredi, was onboard last night checking out how passengers were doing in a variety of restaurants. I definitely got a sense that there's a new spring-in-the-step at Silversea, and the new executive team -- and much of it is really really new though all are highly qualified, respected and accomplished cruise industry executives -- are really excited about making Silversea great. I think the big challenge for them is going to be how to make each ship fairly consistent so that you're getting a similar experience regardless of the vessel. That's the top priority on the list and that's where the major refurbishments they're putting in place will come in handy. We're going to continue to stay on top of the evolution of Silversea -- it's quite exciting to see all this new, great energy. Carolyn

Appreciate these great comments and this excellent follow-up from the Cruise Critic Editor-in-Chief. Very insightful as to her observation that the challenge is in making the service and quality consistent for all ships. Looking forward to sampling the Silver Spirit for the first time in mid June.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean adventure that started in Barbados, here is the link for that live/blog. Many visuals from this amazing river and Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, etc.):

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 49,619 views for these postings.

Just a thought -- Why not have "formal nights" in the two Atlantide and La Dame several times a voyage and have "informal" the rest of the time?

While we love formal nights and dress "to the nines", we can understand why some people do not like to do so. If SS maintains the formal dress code in those restaurants, I suggest that men bring a bow tie and wear a jacket and slacks if they don't want to wear a tux or a suit. It gives the appearance of being formal. No one would ever challenge a lady's choice of attire unless it involved jeans, so this would work IMHO!

The vibe on the Muse is most probably going to be different from the other ships, so let's roll with it!

Why not go to BTO like the other luxury lines (Black Tie Optional) are doing? Crystal, Seabourn and Regent have two dress codes. BTO and country club casual and most everyone looks nice and elegant.

I will no longer don a tie on a cruise ship and we finally left our tux's at home and we have two each as we see that less than half we're wearing them. I certainly don't mind wearing a sports jacket. Two formal restaurants will keep us away from SS.

Even expensive country clubs no longer require a tie and five star restaurants in Palm Beach no longer require a tie. Are they really going to turn away a customer who is willing to spend a lot of money and does not have a tie on? Seriously.

Why not go to BTO like the other luxury lines (Black Tie Optional) are doing? Crystal, Seabourn and Regent have two dress codes. BTO and country club casual and most everyone looks nice and elegant.

I will no longer don a tie on a cruise ship and we finally left our tux's at home and we have two each as we see that less than half we're wearing them. I certainly don't mind wearing a sports jacket. Two formal restaurants will keep us away from SS.

Even expensive country clubs no longer require a tie and five star restaurants in Palm Beach no longer require a tie. Are they really going to turn away a customer who is willing to spend a lot of money and does not have a tie on? Seriously.

Totally with you on this one. On my last SS cruise I only wore a blazer and tie on formal nights and was fine. No tie would have been better.

Why not go to BTO like the other luxury lines (Black Tie Optional) are doing? Crystal, Seabourn and Regent have two dress codes. BTO and country club casual and most everyone looks nice and elegant. I will no longer don a tie on a cruise ship and we finally left our tux's at home and we have two each as we see that less than half we're wearing them. I certainly don't mind wearing a sports jacket. Two formal restaurants will keep us away from SS. Even expensive country clubs no longer require a tie and five star restaurants in Palm Beach no longer require a tie. Are they really going to turn away a customer who is willing to spend a lot of money and does not have a tie on? Seriously.

Appreciate these very good and important points/background from our Florida friend. Yes, in the words of that famed and now Nobel Prize winner, Bob Dylan, the "The Times, They Are A Changin' ". Personally, I do not mind wearing a tie, but understand how various factors are driving this evolving situation as to what people do and desire with dress and styles.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 177,041 views for this posting.

• 3 months later...

We are embarking on the Silver Muse on 12 September. I notice that embarkation time does not commence until 2pm. Given that on the cruises we have taken over the last few years, embarkation is earlier than this and we go straight to the lunch buffet soon after boarding the ship, does this mean that lunch is not available on embarkation day, or does it just mean that it will be a late lunch? I would like to know whether we need to have lunch prior to boarding or not.

We are embarking on the Silver Muse on 12 September. I notice that embarkation time does not commence until 2pm. Given that on the cruises we have taken over the last few years, embarkation is earlier than this and we go straight to the lunch buffet soon after boarding the ship, does this mean that lunch is not available on embarkation day, or does it just mean that it will be a late lunch? I would like to know whether we need to have lunch prior to boarding or not.

Lunch will most definitely be available and despite saying 2pm, you will be most welcome to get on board at 12.

I notice that embarkation time does not commence until 2pm. I would like to know whether we need to have lunch prior to boarding or not.
2:00p is just the standard time. You will most likely be able to board earlier. And, regardless of the time you board, food is always available through room service. I imagine you won't have any problem finding food available at the pool grill either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lunch will most definitely be available and despite saying 2pm, you will be most welcome to get on board at 12.

We were on the Muse Athens to Rome July 15. We arrived at the port straight from the airport at 10:30 am. The let us check in and go right on the ship. We were drinking cocktails by the pool by 11:00 am.

We were on the Muse Athens to Rome July 15. We arrived at the port straight from the airport at 10:30 am. The let us check in and go right on the ship. We were drinking cocktails by the pool by 11:00 am.

I witnessed passengers boarding in London at 11, so know they are very accommodating. We've always tended to arrive at about 12 and on getting our key, able to offload our in-needed hand luggage in our suite.

• 2 weeks later...
Great question, Stumblefood, and you are right -- it's by restaurant. Certainly folks on Silversea are pretty stylish, even when casual, but the only two formal restaurants are Atlantide and Le Dame. People were formal but it wasn't ballgown formal. And the dress codes mixed once you got into public areas. But again, people dress quite well onboard in the first pace :)

Carolyn

Thank you so much for that information. Have a cruise coming up on the MUSE. And reading about all the reviews has been an eye opener for us. How far out from a cruise can we start a thread do you happen to know. Kent and Sandy write_me