Cruise Gridlock

LTC Dan

I just read an interesting article in the news section on a subject we all know too much about: "From the Bridge: What's the Answer to Cruise Tourist Gridlock?"

I think most Windstar fans would agree, we certainly have an advantage here. Our fleet of small ships tend to visit a lot of quiet ports in out-of-the-way locales. I wouldn't have it any other way. It's pretty tough to enjoy being in a port at the same time with 10,000 to 20,000 other cruise passengers.

I took it a step further when the DW and I took a cruise to the Adriatic last year. We knew we wanted to visit Venice, Dubrovnik, and Kotor for sure, and anything else would be gravy. But all three of these bucket list locales can be buried with traffic in the summer. So I did a deep dive and researched off-season itineraries, and crossed out any options that would have multiple mega ships in port when we visited those three locations.

It can be done. We found a trip in early October -- still wonderful weather, no hoards of tourists everywhere 24/7, and got off the boat during times when less people were out and about. Kotor was especially nice.

I'm sure you guys have some horror stories, though.

We took the Venice/Rome cruise in tne middle of May. It was a glorious cruise. Yes there were horrible crowds in Venice around St. Marks but anytime there is horrid. The key to Venice , it is my favorite place on earth, is to get lost in the remote parts to see the amazing beauty. To see the best art go into the churches, to see the cathedrals/ churches visit ones along the way. Visit the Rialto Market at 6 am. Remember John Singer Sargent and C. Arnold Slade painted in the light of the early morning, there is nothing like it. Go to Torcello to see the oldest church with the oldest mosaics, I have never seen more than 20 people in there! In May very few people in Kotor, Dubrovnik a mad scene, Rovnij very few people, Sicily no one, another favorite place. Seeing the Amalfi Coast by water and not driving it fabulous. I agree off season is the key. October another fabulous time to go to that area. Still on a high from that cruise.

Hello again, Strenz. You are so right about Venice. I love the city so much that I've been there four times. If you can arrange a trip in the early Spring or Fall the crowds aren't too bad. But even during "off-season" you have to pick and choose your times to wander around.

When we were there on September 30 - October 1 (overnight on the Star Breeze), it was amazing what a few hours difference could mean. On the first day I wandered through a maze of back alleys in the evening, and there were times when I was very nearly alone. The next morning I stepped off the ship promptly at 6:00 a.m. I immediately went to Saint Marks Square, and there were literally no more than a dozen people milling around. Three were in a wedding photo shoot -- a cute Asian couple and a photographer.

A heavy fog rolled in, and a welcoming sense of mystery and solitude took over for a brief time. And then, gradually and inevitably, the crowds arrived.

When we sailed away from Venice late in the afternoon, the Star Breeze quietly glided by Saint Marks Square. To my astonishment, every inch of the plaza seemed stuffed with people. I'm not exaggerating, I believe there were 10,000 people in the square.

We chose the Star Breeze's 9-night itinerary over the Wind Surf's 8-night version for many reasons. But one big reason was the ability to remain overnight and see Venice during quieter hours. (We could have stayed in a local hotel and accomplished the same thing, but ouch, $$$$$).

I absolutely agree with you. The beauty of Venice happens to be the back alleys, the unexplored nooks, the quiet places of refuge never mentioned in the tour books. I found a couple places I want to visit again next time.

I love Venice so much I am boring. I am a five timer and I could go every year, never gets old. My dream was to go out in a sailboat so the Windsurf it did not didappoint. We were in Venice this time three nights before. Found the perfect hotel no bridges to cross with a suitcase beautiful, beyond friendly $ 200 a night, lovey garden and breakfast.

We had a red sunset coming out spectacular. Another thing Venice does not have to break the bank. I had to go through St. Marks to get to the church Giovanni e Paolo where Bellini's greatest alterpiece is, yes at least 10,000 people grim and depressing, this church was the equilivent of 2 city blocks away in distance 8 people in the church! I feel badly for people who only get to St. Marks and the Rialto. Well keep traveling.

We also sailed on the Breeze from Athens to Venice. We were passed by the QEII while docked in Venice. To say it dwarfed the Breeze is an understatement. We were really lucky on this trip. As it was the end of the season, it appeared as if we were behind most of the big cruise ships. None of our stops on the trip were overcrowed. We had great weather. The walls of Dubrovnik were not overcrowded. When we visited Olympia, there were just a handful of tourists on the field of the first Olympics. In Venice, we just avoided the major tourist spots between 10:00-2:00. We had a great time after the day trippers cleared out. We went to Murano, Burano, the Giudeca and just wandered around. Venice is truly magic. The next time I go, I will certainly choose late October or early November.