compare Grand Circle to other river cruises

Merry Cerena

Well, I'm taking my 6th GCT cruise this fall, and previously took two river cruises with Uniworld. Most obvious difference would be bigger cabins with real beds, not pull down. Everything was just fancier and comfortable on Uniworld. Better food, much better . Our Uniworld cruises had excellent tour directors, but I find those on GCT more friendly and approachable, plus there are several on each ship. As for me, I took my Uniworld trips with my husband, we loved them. Now I travel with a friend, and because of lower prices on GCT, I travel more frequently, and find GCT totally fine. I'm considering a Uniworld cruise for 2019, though!

I noticed your cruise history. I'm 3 star on HAL, but have cruised with Oceania too. Similar differences. O far surpasses HAL as far as we are concerned, but HAL is fine, and we can travel more often.

I haven't sailed GCT, but one thing that bothers me is that they market exclusively to Americans. I liked the mixture of English speaking people from Canada, the U.S., U.K. and Australia on my Uniworld cruises.

Our most excellent host, Jazzbeau has compiled information in the stickies above that will be useful:

River CRUISE LINE articles on Cruise Critic

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2415906

Why Grand Circle Is the River Cruise Line for You

https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=2708

Grand Circle vs. Vantage River Cruises

https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=2311

As always--Thank you Jazzbeau!!

My husband and I have done GCT and Viking. We loved GCT, and will probably travel with them in the future. GCT may not put you in the fanciest hotels while on land (as Viking does), but they are centrally located and usually near enough to tourist sites and towns for very easy walking. I found working with the customer service and the air depts. of GCT much more accommodating than Viking as well. The benefits for repeat customers seems to be better on GCT. We haven't tried any other river cruise lines thus far so our experience is limited. When booking trips, we usually search by itineraries first, value based on price next, then reviews.

I haven't sailed GCT, but one thing that bothers me is that they market exclusively to Americans. I liked the mixture of English speaking people from Canada, the U.S., U.K. and Australia on my Uniworld cruises.

Yes, I do find that a drawback, we much enjoyed the variety of folks on Uniworld. At least we've met Canadians on our GCT trips :)