PoC Ziplining Brake Question

purpletequila

So, I've read that unlike other zip lines, you stop on these via gravity. :eek:

So what if you are flying down the line and gravity doesn't cooperate? Do you stop by crashing into a small Honduran worker or a tree or what?

I've never been zip lining but it sounds strange not to have a brake at least as a back up. ???

Anyone who has been to PoC before or who has experience zip lining, should I be concerned? Cause I am and don't want to chicken out on site. :o

You should probably just skip it.

So what if you are flying down the line and gravity doesn't cooperate? Do you stop by crashing into a small Honduran worker or a tree or what?

I've never been zip lining but it sounds strange not to have a brake at least as a back up. ???

Anyone who has been to PoC before or who has experience zip lining, should I be concerned? Cause I am and don't want to chicken out on site. :o

• 1 month later...

they don't have hand brakes, which is SO MUCH better than all the others (which do). basically it means you just get to have fun and not worry about crashing into a tree or something. last time i went they even let us switch our harnesses so we could fly superman style - you definitely can't do that at any of the other ziplines i've done!

the first run is the biggest one and the one most people "come in hot" on. there's always a guide who goes first, and for those that aren't slowing down enough on gravity, they have an extra line with pulley that they use to slow you down (they stand on the ground and hold the line to effectively "catch" you and slow you down). it's hard to describe but trust me, it's very safe! i've done it twice and would never recommend another zipline in roatan after having done this one.

• 2 weeks later...
they don't have hand brakes, which is SO MUCH better than all the others (which do). basically it means you just get to have fun and not worry about crashing into a tree or something. last time i went they even let us switch our harnesses so we could fly superman style - you definitely can't do that at any of the other ziplines i've done!

the first run is the biggest one and the one most people "come in hot" on. there's always a guide who goes first, and for those that aren't slowing down enough on gravity, they have an extra line with pulley that they use to slow you down (they stand on the ground and hold the line to effectively "catch" you and slow you down). it's hard to describe but trust me, it's very safe! i've done it twice and would never recommend another zipline in roatan after having done this one.

So you definitely felt safe? It is SO high....like 30 stories. I'm not even worried anymore about lines snapping or whatever. More concerned that the harness will slip or something. LOL But I REALLY want to do it. Did anyone in your group chicken out?

• 2 weeks later...

We did it when we were there last Christmas, along with a group of about 8 others (including 2 tweenagers)! We had a WONDERFUL time and definitely felt safe the whole time. There was 3 guides for the 10 of us and they would hook onto you (tandem) if you absolutely needed it. The guides were hilarious and even let the more bold of the group flip upside down with a guide on one of the lines. This was our favorite tour of the whole cruise and can't say enough how fun it was!