Round trip cruises stopping in Canada for ex-felon

damiross

What can you do with that number? Vote? Claim Government benefits? Apply for a bank account or a loan?

The number is our way to prove who we are. Everything is tied to that number, we more or less use it for everything.

But no one besides me have that number. If I was convicted it would turn up by just entering my number. It doesn't matter if 1000 other people have the same name, are born the same day in the same town.

Yes, we have an equivalent. It's called a social security number. You get it when you are born and it follows you your whole life. Used in getting a passport, used in getting a driver's license, used in getting a job, used in getting a bank account, used if you are ever ticketed or arrested. We are now getting away from that number being used prominently because people were stealing social security numbers. If you had someone's name, date of birth, and social security number you could open up credit cards and other loans in their name and rack up huge amounts of debt. You could also use their info when arrested and cause them to have criminal charges on their record.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Or all they need is the ability to make a fake ID/passport/DL with your name & number and their photo. Or just do their work online rather than in person.

ID theft is a big business over here and in many parts of the world. Sounds like it's not a problem in your area.

On the other hand, in America we still tend to send people money my mailing little slips of paper with all of our bank account info on them, so I guess there's room for improvement here also... :)

Well they would need my ID/passport/DL and they would need to look like me..

Maybe this hasn't caught on in Sweden but every day my mail box contains pre-approved credit card applications where all I have to do (or someone who intercepts my mail) is fill in some personal info (like my social security number), mail it off, and TA da - credit card in my name has been opened that they can charge up with no consequences. People have to guard their social security numbers closely here.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You don't need a SSN to run a criminal history but when you use a SSN that's what lets you know which John Smith you are looking for. I have run many many Criminal histories and had to do them one at a time perhaps they have some other software that lets them scan names and check it with the files on NCIC. We have access to all the Canadian records also.