Freaking out a little due to the weather forecast for our Ports of Call

Riley's Mom

New projected path of Hurricane Harvey. It will hit Belize next Tuesday.

144536_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind.png

Before this wave becomes "Hurricane Harvey", it has to become a tropical depression, then a tropical storm, and after further intensification, it COULD develop into Hurr. Harv.

Lots of alternative things could happen to interrupt this development. I beieve its 50/50 that the wave can intensify. Put another way, its 50/50 it won't.

Not much you can do about it, except breathe deep, pack accordingly with a light rain jacket and bring some motion meds just in case. Bring your snorkel as well. A little rain in Belize can make for better cave tubing.

She is crankin' up, that's for sure. But it's only Thursday. And the best news is that your ship leaves over the weekend from an unaffected port so the cruise isn't in any jeopardy. Enjoy the adventure.

It is tropical storm Harvey now.

Dr. Henson: "Overall, the prognosis for Harvey has changed little since our last post midday Thursday. There is very high confidence in a westward track through the Caribbean during the weekend. By Monday afternoon, Harvey is forecast by NHC to be very close to the north coast of Honduras, with a landfall projected by NHC for Tuesday along the Belize coast. Even though models agree strongly on Harvey’s general westward track, it would take only a slight departure north or south to change the landfall location significantly.

Harvey is expected to intensify only gradually over the next several days, as it is fighting off persistent easterly wind shear of 10-20 knots that’s been injecting dry air into the storm. By Sunday, the wind shear is predicted to weaken to less than 10 knots, and midlevel relative humidity in the vicinity of Harvey will rise from around 50% to the range of 65-70%. Sea surface temperatures (SSTs) will be in the range of 28-29°C (82-84°F) along Harvey’s track through the Caribbean—more than adequate for development—so the key to Harvey’s ultimate strength will be the timing of the expect drop in wind shear. If the shear decreases more quickly and/or more dramatically than expected, a period of rapid intensification cannot be ruled out. A more southerly-angled track would limit the time frame of this risk, since it would bring Harvey ashore sooner (over Nicaragua)."

I have never had this happen when all the ports would be experiencing bad weather

during my cruise week.

It made to wonder if due tot he inclement weather in each of the scheduled ports' date=' if

Carnival may decide to take us to different ports which better weather?

I am afraid I know the answer to this and its probably NO!

:loudcry::loudcry::loudcry::loudcry:[/quote']Was on a Mexican Riviera cruise a few years ago and the fringes of a hurricane caused the Captain to totally flip around our port direction so that we avoided as much of the inclement weather as possible. We ended up with only a very little amount of rolling seas one night and one partial morning of drizzle. All in all, a fantastic job.

Take a deep breath and chill out, remember that a bad day on a cruise is always better than a good day at work.

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app

I'm probably the biggest worrier of all, and what I'm getting sick of are these so called "meteorologists" who freak people out with their information they put out. We leave on our cruise out of Galveston on the 26th of August. I've been worried sick that this specific storm (Harvey) will end up in Galveston the day we leave and cause the port to close, therefore, cancelling our cruise. I've been told today that this storm will not affect the U.S. Just about an hour ago, I was told by that same person that we need to keep an eye on it this weekend cause it possibly could affect the Texas coastline. I just don't know what to believe. Anticipation for an upcoming cruise that you've been waiting for for over 300 days should be exciting and NOT stressful.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app

Not to be a downer, but we missed our cruise last October due to Matthew. :( But on a lighter note they typically reroute the ship to other ports if there's a storm around. Our Breeze cruise was a temporary Western Caribbean because of Erika back in 2015, but everything worked out and we ended up going the original itinerary.

Wave and wind predictions aren't bad at all.

SUN E to SE winds 15 to 20 kt. Seas 3 to 4 ft. SUN NIGHT E winds 15 to 20 kt. Seas 3 to 5 ft. MON E winds 15 to 20 kt. Seas 3 to 5 ft. MON NIGHT E winds 15 to 20 kt. Seas 3 to 5 ft. TUE E to SE winds 15 to 20 kt. Seas 3 to 5 ft. TUE NIGHT E to SE winds 10 to 15 kt. Seas 3 to 5 ft.

There is a system that will be in our "area of the caribbean" next week.

We are going to Cozumel' date=' Belize and Roatan.

According to the weather forecasts (I know it could still change) the ports

we are going to show thunderstorms 80% .

I have never had this happen when all the ports would be experiencing bad weather

during my cruise week.

It made to wonder if due tot he inclement weather in each of the scheduled ports, if

Carnival may decide to take us to different ports which better weather?

I am afraid I know the answer to this and its probably NO!

:loudcry::loudcry::loudcry::loudcry:[/quote']

We are leaving Monday on the Fantasy. We had reservations at Maya Chan Beach (Costa Maya) August 24th and was just sent this message...now were freaking out.

Hola, Everyone,

TS Harvey

Well, we do have a Tropical Storm approaching our region. It is expected to make landfall south of us somewhere in Belize. It will most likely effect all of the ships this week.

At this point, we are sold out on Thursday, August 24th unless RCI changes the Liberty to another day.

The Carnival Fantasy most likely will switch your day here with Cozumel as they did for the past two weeks. If this happens, we will be refunding everyone in full and making some other recommendation if that does happen. Please update me as soon as you hear what the plan is.

As for the Escape. You are scheduled to be in the storm area Monday and Tuesday. The storm is going to hit somewhere in that area. So, we expect NCL to make some sort of change. Please email me if this does change and what the new itinerary, and times in Port. I hope they decide to come here on Friday.

We have no ships scheduled to be here on Tuesday or Friday. If they change to Tuesday, we will be able to make that change.

If we see that we are going to cancel this entire week. I will send out an email and will be issuing full refunds to everyone.

TS Franklin hit us two weeks ago, and we were able to open for a wedding that same day. So, we expect to be able to open as scheduled.

I will send out another update as soon as I hear something.

Life on the beach is not always a paradise. We do our best to make any adjustments to make it happen.

Cheers,

Mark

Weather.com this Saturday morning said the 2 closest systems are basically falling apart and should just be rain storms by the middle of next week. One will be near Belize and Roatan and the other near the Bahamas by Tuesday.

Might be higher seas than normal so bring meds for motion sickness.

Weather.com this Saturday morning said the 2 closest systems are basically falling apart and should just be rain storms by the middle of next week. One will be near Belize and Roatan and the other near the Bahamas by Tuesday.

Might be higher seas than normal so bring meds for motion sickness.

Is this referring to Harvey?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app

Alas, Harv, we hardly knew ye.

For those with an interest in meteorology or who want to keep tabs on what a system might do to their cruise, I highly recommend reading the "Discussion" portion of any tropical cyclone's page at the National Hurricane Center's site. They will tell you their reasoning for predicted intensity and course and it can be fascinating.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/