Live (I'll try my Best) from the Eclipse Baltic Sailing

absolutboy20

Day 4 - Copenhagen, Denmark cont’d

I woke up around 5AM again and played around on my phone for about an hour. I could have gone to the gym today, but honestly I was sore from the gym the last two days as I'm out of shape.

I got out of bed and looked through the sliding glass doors and already saw we were entering the port. The vibration in the cabin started when the thrusters are engaged. I quickly changed out of my pajamas to head up to level 14 to watch the docking procedures.

926016504b26c0c42bb9a5a27c33b71f.jpg

When I got up to the pool deck the ship was turning, and I could've just sat on the balcony from our room to have seen the whole process.

Since I already was out of the cabin, I stopped by the shore excursion desk to purchase the bus transfers to the city center. The buses run every 20 minutes with the last service being at 4PM back to the ship. When I larrived at the excursion desk, there was no one there. I was 15 minutes early as they don't open until 7AM. I sat at the nearby desk for a couple of minutes when a shore excursion representative appeared from the stairs. I told her that I'm more than willing to wait until 7AM as I'm sure she needs to set up. She insisted that she could help me out right away, and in less than 5 minutes I had the transfer passes and her recommendations of areas to see in the city.

When I was leaving the cabin, a request was made from the still sleeping other half to bring back a cappuccino for him. Next stop deck 5, no line, and two cappuccinos in hand.

I got back to the room, and I was asked what time he had to be ready to get off the ship. I told him we needed to be at a meeting point in the city center by 10:45AM. He decided to order room service and I took a shower and headed down for breakfast. I had the same meal as the day before except for changing the mango smoothie to strawberry.

We were off the boat by about 9:30AM and were dropped off by the National Bank in the city center. This was a change from our original drop off location as another tour company was using the usual shuttle bus stop. It turns out that the new drop off location is right across from the meeting point for our next excursion. We now had time to kill and started walking around the area. Our goal was to get to Amelianborg Palace. On the way there we stopped to enjoy Nyhaven. It is truly like the pictures you see online.

967c37d27a2d3cba5f98cfbb5dbe9252.jpg

e1bbf7a4e7fd16ed69fabe3caeb0b42f.jpg

We walked a few blocks more until I got concerned that we would not make it back to the meeting location in time. We headed back to the meeting point taking a different route back.

5c6192082154527871b217ad00dede20.jpg

7021662c66a0c26018c89324f8fe5215.jpg

We arrived five minutes before the meeting time. Today's excursion is:

7aecf78dd52972f9ffee2229e464ebb0.jpg

Edited by absolutboy20

I booked the tour independently through Kayak Republic. There were two other cruise ship couples who also booked. After about ten minutes of instructions we were putting the kayaks in the water. The first couple really came close to falling into the water when entering the kayak. We have kayaked once before in Dunedin New Zealand. That guide referred to it as divorce kayaks as couples would start arguing on the stability and rowing techniques. We only had one “discussion” this time around. For anyone who hasn't kayaked before, for the first 30 minutes it is like playing kayak bumper cars.

bfd8409e47e1a8d6f5b4e03525499df6.jpg

Sorry for the photos not being great as my main concern every time I took pictures is DO NOT DROP YOUR PHONE, and the larger ships' wake made the kayak a little bouncy.

Our first waypoint was the Royal Danish Playhouse. We made our way down river and we're given the opportunity to go under the building where it's supported by columns.

fb77f70058625c9db8d46f4e7c84b7f0.jpg

From there we had a distant view of the Royal Palace and the Opera House on the opposite end. One interesting fact about the Opera House is that it was paid for by the shipping company Maersk. One requirement they had is that it needed to be situated directly across the river from the Royal Palace so that it was easily visible.

4082b089595e0f6fad8e4c72dc2da2cd.jpg

We cut across the river and went in a small canal passing by one beautiful spot after another.

7367e811cc7a2ed7f97b32fde5b2c849.jpg

4c9f512465e1e644686c473c144219c8.jpg

61e583c5d7350e96c1c6d810f6b51b39.jpg

The tour lasted two hours and everyone made the transition from getting out of the kayak to dock without incident. As I was pulling the kayak out of the water my cell phone fell out of my pocket landing on the dock. I felt pretty lucky.

As we were hungry, I asked our guide to point out on a map where she recommended going for lunch. She recommended the Copenhagen Street food which was a little over a mile away.

While walking we saw kiosk for rental bikes. When in Copenhagen you have to ride a bike. The rental bikes we had were amazing. They are electrically assisted and have a touch screen on the handle bars. The screen will allows you to unlock the bike and is equipped with GPS navigation.

3d1930372131d3ae8628cc7159a340be.jpg

We rented two bikes and headed across the bridge to Copenhagen Street food. The location is in a warehouse, and there is pretty much any kind of food available. The unique ones were Marrakesh, Turkish, surf and turf hamburger, and even the pizzas were unique.

8490e4b77508dc9f7b7e04d0b982609a.jpg

7c867eff8fb4085ef91e368d1d6d5056.jpg

3fe9952b4a9a36b14a898185e4635f63.jpg

9ca045c09cd64c0b16a28fdc455f8a93.jpg

After wandering around the center for about 15 minutes, I settled on Marrakech as I've never had it before and the line was longest. I ordered the chicken which is wrapped in a thick crispy flatbread and also has a salad inside. The dining experience is communal and outside. Can't be shy on this one if you find a spot you have to grab it.

b5fe504ec8d19252059de07a0ccb4310.jpg

After lunch, the other half decided he wanted to head back to the ship as he's still coughing up a storm. We rode back over the bridge, got his bike checked back in, and I ventured out on my own.

The first stop I wanted to see was the Church of the Savior as it had a tower with 400 steps that has great views of the city. I plugged it into my GPS on the bike and headed towards the church. The only downside with the bikes is that there are roads that are made of cobblestone. Without any shocks on the bike, it can be very rough. My wrists started to hurt from all of the impact and when I got back to the ship I realized that my metal watch was banging against my wrist so much that I got a bruise.

499e2783cf94bb5ee5f82da19b83d148.jpg

When I arrived at the church, there was a very long line for the climb up the tower. It was already 2PM, I decided I wanted to see other sites rather than spending the time in line.

Next Stop was Amalienborg Palace. The unique aspect of this palace is that they are four identical estates built around a large courtyard which the public can access. The Royal Guards are by the double doors.

b9a2971cd7187840ffcbc8ca6fa9d703.jpg

b6f417cd45ae60c32fac82b5085f3eae.jpg

03397a6346c41e2cfb1af24938863790.jpg

Stopping by a couple more areas nearby, I headed towards the ship on bike as the map stated there was stations to return the bikes by the pier. I stopped off at a park with a windmill and a canon in front. Now a park, it appears they use it for some type of armory as soldiers were walking around the area.

49387de86efe673c6dc52b0a87315b47.jpg

I continued my way down the coast and finally arrived at the ship. I followed the direction on the screen for the bike return, but no station in sight. I then searched for the next drop off location a little further from the ship.

4d46f73ed50c65c5975b7431cf0d33fe.jpg

No dice on the second spot either. I looked at my watch, it was already 3:30pm, an hour before sailing. I started to get a little panicked. Worst case scenario is I needed go back to shuttle bus drop off location and catch the last shuttle to the ship. Hopefully there was a return slot still available. When I started heading back towards downtown, I found a docking station halfway between the city and port that still had slots to return the bike. Bike checked back in, I headed black to the ship. I stopped in the various shops at the pier but didn't find anything that was interesting. I was onboard by 4pm with 800 more passengers needing to arrive.

Day 4 - Copenhagen, Denmark cont'd

After lunch, the other half decided he wanted to head back to the ship as he's still coughing up a storm. We rode back over the bridge, got his bike checked back in, and I ventured out on my own.

The first stop I wanted to see was the Church of the Savior as it had a tower with 400 steps that has great views of the city. I plugged it into my GPS on the bike and headed towards the church. The only downside with the bikes is that there are roads that are made of cobblestone. Without any shocks on the bike, it can be very rough. My wrists started to hurt from all of the impact and when I got back to the ship I realized that my metal watch was banging against my wrist so much that I got a bruise.

499e2783cf94bb5ee5f82da19b83d148.jpg

When I arrived at the church, there was a very long line for the climb up the tower. It was already 2PM, I decided I wanted to see other sites rather than spending the time in line.

Next Stop was Amalienborg Palace. The unique aspect of this palace is that they are four identical estates built around a large courtyard which the public can access. The Royal Guards are by the double doors.

b9a2971cd7187840ffcbc8ca6fa9d703.jpg

b6f417cd45ae60c32fac82b5085f3eae.jpg

03397a6346c41e2cfb1af24938863790.jpg

Stopping by a couple more areas nearby, I headed towards the ship on bike as the map stated there was stations to return the bikes by the pier. I stopped off at a park with a windmill and a canon in front. Now a park, it appears they use it for some type of armory as soldiers were walking around the area.

49387de86efe673c6dc52b0a87315b47.jpg

I continued my way down the coast and finally arrived at the ship. I followed the direction on the screen for the bike return, but no station in sight. I then searched for the next drop off location a little further from the ship.

4d46f73ed50c65c5975b7431cf0d33fe.jpg

No dice on the second spot either. I looked at my watch, it was already 3:30pm, an hour before sailing. I started to get a little panicked. Worst case scenario is I needed go back to shuttle bus drop off location and catch the last shuttle to the ship. Hopefully there was a return slot still available. When I started heading back towards downtown, I found a docking station halfway between the city and port that still had slots to return the bike. Bike checked back in, I headed black to the ship. I stopped in the various shops at the pier but didn't find anything that was interesting. I was onboard by 4pm with 800 more passengers needing to arrive.

Day 4 - Copenhagen, Denmark Final

I took a quick shower and headed for the helipad as we had received our first invitation to a sailaway. Upon exiting a door on deck 6, we passed by the outdoor rest area for crew. I was pretty excited to see this more than the helipad. We climbed up a set of stairs, champagne was being passed out, and everyone was lined up around the bow of the ship. Quite honestly, I think they invited too many people to this as not everyone will be able to see the sail away. We hung around for about 20 minutes and headed back inside.

573f1576f1954dcb4ce83dbb10fcfd23.jpg

We went to dinner, I had ahi steak as an entree, mushroom soup, and a salad. The couple next to us from England engaged in conversation with us and before I knew it was 8:30pm. I had a cappuccino to try and stay up for the 10:30 show, but I didn't have the energy. Lights out by 9:30pm.

I truly enjoyed Copenhagen and wish I had a few more hours to visit Tripoli Gardens and climb the tower.

Day 5 - At Sea Day 2 Final

I really don't have much to report on the second sea day. I went back to the gym at 6AM, had my usual breakfast, and spent the majority of time lounging in the Solarium. I'm having a heck of a time with Tapatalk and uploading pictures. The photos would show up as uploading and get to 95% then fail. I had upload each pic about ten times for the app to post. When I got to the helipad pictures it just stopped uploading... I also see it uploaded one thread twice!! I'm hoping it is due to fact that today is the first time land based cell service is not available during the day. The onboard wifi may have been very congested.

The OH went to his second massage appointment and he loved the masseuse. Dinner at Luminae where I chose the caesar salad off of the MDR menu, TWO crab cakes from Luminae, as well as the sea bass. The crab cakes were a tad salty for my taste but had a nice spicy kick.

I still had my evening cappuccino but that didn't help me stay awake for the 10:30 show... I'm getting old and tomorrow I might just fall asleep in Luminae. I'll request the bench seat.

The one thing I regret is that I missed bingo. [emoji31]. I would have been the $10,000 winner.

The flyer for the book onboard offer was included in the daily. This is how we booked our current trip and we received a $500 obc. It looks like in order to get the same amount of credit next year, we need to book the a CS suite or higher and sail on a 16+ day cruise. It's not going to happen..

fb9045b4e59a5cd366d2bc30056d7bec.jpg28170b423663b0dafecec4b4b1a06c78.jpg

Weather is slightly warm and rain free. Tomorrow is Stockholm. I bid you adieu with dancing fountains.

70c5cff640ebdc9ada057e0b49f57ab0.jpg

Hi,

My wife and I are loving the review and pictures.

Thankyou for giving up your time on board.

We sail Eclipse in 9 days, in a CS, could you tell me how many sockets there are in the cabin please?

So this is where the ship shows it age. There is only one accessible outlet, two if you bring a converter for a European plug.

b6f663ec26c6b278cb44db92cf852228.jpg

They are both located on the small desk that I assume your wife would use as a makeup counter. I checked behind the night stands but there but no additional outlets. I highly recommend you purchase a multi-USB charger with smart charging as it will allow you to charge multiple devices at different voltage from one outlet.

b47ea0f114c0c49a9ab367b3bc9820a4.jpg.

Now you hogging up the makeup desk for your electronics. Good luck with that.

Enjoy the Fjords!

I have just caught up ( been away on holiday)

I will be making notes;p as we will be on Silhouette next June doing a similar itinerary, so am looking for suggestions. We were on Eclipse to the Baltic in 2015, so am looking for different ideas, so we don't repeat excursions.

So this is where the ship shows it age. There is only one accessible outlet, two if you bring a converter for a European plug.

b6f663ec26c6b278cb44db92cf852228.jpg

They are both located on the small desk that I assume your wife would use as a makeup counter. I checked behind the night stands but there but no additional outlets. I highly recommend you purchase a multi-USB charger with smart charging as it will allow you to charge multiple devices at different voltage from one outlet.

b47ea0f114c0c49a9ab367b3bc9820a4.jpg.

Now you hogging up the makeup desk for your electronics. Good luck with that.

Enjoy the Fjords!

Thankyou so much for the information, loving the pictures and detail of your Live review.

I will be taking a very similar usb charger to yours. I cannot wait to tell my wife the good news about where all my gadgets are going to be living.

This is our first cool weather cruise so we have learned a lot about the little things we need to take that we hadn't thought of.

Oh one more thing please stop going to the gym so much so early you are give my wife ideas!

What dock in Stockholm did the ship tie to? IS this the port that's far from town? Do you know if the hoho can be boarded at the port? We're taking this cruise next summer and have been following your posts with interest.

Day 6 - Stockholm, Sweden cont’d

I woke up (better than the alternative) and did the usual glance through the slider. I saw one small island after another with houses dotted between the trees. I changed and took some pictures from the balcony. It was one of those days where the wind was non-existent and the water was flat as a sheet of glass. The ship was so close to the islands that you can hear the wake hitting the shoreline.

5df31b8ae09de65b0b73ec48610e3e38.jpg

347750c2a0b067b2d425e0fcbeaf4386.jpg

d741f1b967b0747af9d673e6c8d52f61.jpg

As we were navigating around one island a loud alarm was going off with strobe lights. The alarm went silent and then an explosion could be heard and saw dirt shifting. We were passing by some type of mining operation.

9291daba35eba4edc6fc2055d75528f1.jpg

I went up to deck 15 to watch our entry into port. From there I could see a cruise ship in front of us navigating between the islands.

ea8e411d85bbe086ddad828ae240de41.jpg

I also glanced down to the helipad and noticed that they had another gathering for a sail in.

After spending about twenty minutes taking pictures and enjoying the view, I headed down to Cafe al Bacio for a cappuccino. The barista took my order, made my drink, and I dug into my pocket for my room key. I brought my wallet but no room key. Luckily, he recognized me from the other day and knew I had a premium beverage package and said it was fine. Back up to the stateroom, I rang the doorbell but no answer. I was prepared to sit and wait at the Library but our room attendant walked by and let me in with his key. If he hadn't, it would've been a while as OH had just gotten in the shower.

Day 6 - Stockholm cont'd

For breakfast OH wanted room service as he had EVERY morning, and I went down to Luminae. For once I was the first one to arrive around 7:40. I had my usual breakfast, but I finally gave into the carb basket..

118611530d5d49e88bb662287200e844.jpg

The croissant was tasty, but it had a glaze on it that made it a little sweet. I like mine to have a consistency of a cloud with a taste of a stick of butter.

The gym didn't happen today, as my usual laziness kicked in and i'm actually still sore!

I went back to the room, packed my backpack with the Celebrity umbrella as rain was in the forecast, and OH asked Freddie our room attendant if it was possible to get an extra one. Within a few minutes, he came back with one. I glanced out of the balcony and saw that we were docking. At the same time, I realized there were four other cruise ships in port. Costa, Oceana, RCL Vision of the Seas, and HAL are all in port.

f8986f5d57b849a00d8759522f65ad1a.jpg

The last minute excursion I purchased was the Hop On/Hop Off tour with the Red Line Bus Company with a river cruise option. I've had positive experiences in other cities. But with five cruise ships in port the system was overwhelmed. I bought the tickets through a third party site and only had the confirmation paperwork. In the past they would exchange the paperwork for a ticket. We got off the boat fairly early and the line for the HOHO was getting long. While standing in line it started to rain.

49b017a46352f57e89070588446ba8b7.jpg

After some confusion and three personnel later, it was determined that my reservation paperwork was my ticket for the day. We boarded the bus at full capacity and were on our way.

I wanted to visit the Vasa museum but as it was one of the first stops on the route, I wondered if we were better off going to old town first then backtracking to the museum. When we pulled up to the stop, only a few people got off. We made the decision to get off as well since we thought we would beat the crowd. The rain was now falling at a steady rate. I pulled out my Celebrity umbrella and pressed the button to open it, and the umbrella top flew off of the arm like a torpedo into the street. One umbrella down.

We eventually found the Vasa museum after going to the Nordic museum by mistake. We were greeted to this.

c3e9cb3870c55cf77ac46693b2a7ec82.jpg

After making our way inside, there was another queue to purchase tickets.

97839a922107dd78f074539a1b5188ed.jpg

They have machine kiosks to purchase tickets, but it would only accept cards with a chip and pin. All of my credit cards have a chip, but no pin. I ended up using my ATM card to get the tickets.

Day 6 - Stockholm cont'd

As you walk in to the museum, you can't miss what the exhibit is about.

ea7a7d774630a8bfe81c44ec649896a8.jpg

Vasa was one of the largest warships built in the 1600’s that took two years to build, and sank on its maiden voyage due to poor design. The actual ship was salvaged from the bottom of the sea in the 1960’s, and was reassembled in the museum. I saw pictures of the ship online but it doesn't do it justice. Coming from the Eclipse the ship should look tiny, but the Vasa is housed in a 7 story building and is massive. How they built ships without modern equipment is astonishing.

647af7a4265400f1b52c4cb9fb6a0490.jpg

4c7dccffb72855db17974821639c51a3.jpg

The intricate details of the woodwork survived mostly intact for 300 years under the sea.

a7b0c3f408cdbe92b1c2f15236680f71.jpg

The exhibit explores the life onboard the ship, supplies, skeletal autopsies to determine general health of the crew, and replicas of the inside of the ship.

34e4c8f2aaf6684bccc695a50d004bab.jpg

There was also a wing devoted to women and their role in the 1600’s while their husbands were at sea. A movie was projected on the wall depicting the scene of a ship building site.

cce35f5f6bcfc1cc7129a96cd5673c0f.jpg

We spent about an hour and headed back towards the bus stop. Once we got outside, the line for entry was three times as long.

We waited at the HOHO station, and in about ten minutes the bus arrived filled to capacity. Four people got off from the bus, and the driver instructed us to board from the rear door. It was standing room only and I ended up being in the doorway. When the bus pulled up to the next stop, I got pinned between the door and the handrail. Didn't hurt but I learned my lesson.

Day 6 - Stockholm cont'd

Our next stop was the Swedish History Museum. There is no admission fee, and the exhibit goes through the history of Sweden, the Vikings, old artifacts, and the religious aspect of the country.

ea55ff0f87c0c8cf6d5a39f67d3440df.jpg

We reboarded the bus to head to Old Town. Traffic was heavy as we neared the area. The Celebrity Daily stated there was a street fair that would add to the congestion and to please plan accordingly in getting back to the ship. We made it down to Old Town around 1:30pm. This area has the rustic feel with narrow cobblestone walkways, restaurants and shops lining the area.

e7b3b8b5fd9436f98dee4aa2a4b1a384.jpg

f85be46dffee578c0b6ddd973bd0cf5f.jpg

I found a highly rated restaurant in the area, but when we arrived to read over the menu, the dishes were a little little too authentic for the OH. No reindeer for him. We found another restaurant, sat outside under a canopy, and refueled.

267fed338cc582fe784b64741953e373.jpg

f98e0fbf6e819cc62cedd025e7510345.jpg

It was now about 3PM and we spent too much time on the HOHO to get to Old Town. We saw the exterior of the Royal Palace and views of the river.

0920207713feda1d7dc2283203dd3b2e.jpg