golden triangle

brian1

Ive been waiting for someone to answer your question! I'd like to know the answer too

Damn,when I saw a reply,I thought my luck was in.Ive looked on Trip Advisor type sites but thought a more hands on reply on here would be better,cheers,Brian.

Damn,when I saw a reply,I thought my luck was in.Ive looked on Trip Advisor type sites but thought a more hands on reply on here would be better,cheers,Brian.

Sorry, didn't mean to get you fired up! You're several thought processes ahead of me in the planning department (we don't go till November 2017) so when I saw your question i was excited to read the responses. I know someone's been there!

Kathleen

Sorry, didn't mean to get you fired up! You're several thought processes ahead of me in the planning department (we don't go till November 2017) so when I saw your question i was excited to read the responses. I know someone's been there!

Kathleen

Its ok I was only joking.We are on a guided Cox and Kings package starting in New Delhi with all 4 star hotels.I just thought we could get out and about at local places.I suppose the guide might put us right,cheers,Brian.ps you have got loads of time,perhaps Ill post when I get back.

Its ok I was only joking.We are on a guided Cox and Kings package starting in New Delhi with all 4 star hotels.I just thought we could get out and about at local places.I suppose the guide might put us right,cheers,Brian.ps you have got loads of time,perhaps Ill post when I get back.

It's ok. I knew you were joking ;) and yes, I'd love to hear about your trip. We also want to do the Golden Triangle before a cruise. NOW BACK TO ORIGINAL QUESTION!

Edited by ceba

• 3 weeks later...

Was reading this post - we are going there ourselves in April. An Indian friend has some very useful advice to keep safe there and I would like to share these tips with you:

1. Bring little bars of soap to wash your hands in public toilets

2. Avoid eating meat if possibles- that is because it is extremely hot there and the storage for meat isn't like western standards. Most stomach upsets (Delhi belly) are caused by eating meat or drinking wrongly

3. Only drink bottled sealed water and cans - bring your own straws and don't drink through the bottle or can itself

4. Avoid ICE!

5 there are lots of vegetarian dishes that are delicious- avoid anything uncooked

Hope these tips help - I have got my supply of straws ( individually wrapped) and soap!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Was reading this post - we are going there ourselves in April. An Indian friend has some very useful advice to keep safe there and I would like to share these tips with you:

2. Avoid eating meat if possibles- that is because it is extremely hot there and the storage for meat isn't like western standards. Most stomach upsets (Delhi belly) are caused by eating meat or drinking wrongly

3. Only drink bottled sealed water and cans - bring your own straws and don't drink through the bottle or can itself

4. Avoid ICE!

5 there are lots of vegetarian dishes that are delicious- avoid anything uncooked

Hope these tips help - I have got my supply of straws ( individually wrapped) and soap!

Hi,blimey you woke me up then LOL. Thanks for that,we have just filled our visa form online and driving back tomorrow from Italy,we have an appointment in London on the 6th Dec,hope it is ok.How did you find the process?Cheers,Brian.

Hi,blimey you woke me up then LOL. Thanks for that,we have just filled our visa form online and driving back tomorrow from Italy,we have an appointment in London on the 6th Dec,hope it is ok.How did you find the process?Cheers,Brian.

We haven't applied for our visa yet as we are not going till April. I think we will do it with a visa company online like we did before when our ship just docked in Mumbai. I'm not sure but the process might be a little easier now.... But beware - make sure you have everything in place before doing it! The photos have to be the exact size stated.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi Brian1

We are going to Hounslow for our Indian visas on 7 December. Massive trek to get there from Essex and they are so expensive! We decided to drive and try and get parking somewhere close. Worked out that it will take about 2h15 to get there by train and there might be a tube strike on your travel day on the Picadilly line.

We have booked a cruise with Costa starting 18/2/17. We are hoping that it will have a bit of an Indian flavour rather than their usuall Italian. The only place on the cruise I would happily give a miss is Male in the Maldives. Searched high and low on various sites and could not find anything worthwhile. All very expensive beach stuff. Not our cup of tea. Alas we are there for 3d.

My husband decided he was not going to eat anything in India:), I am happy to give about anything a try but the advice in the thread about vege food seems sensible. I'll pack straws and soap. I wonder whether anyone can give advice about toilets in India and Sri Lanka? Hole in the ground will be an issue for me with my rubbish knees.

Good luck for the 6th.

Alicat

Hi Brian1

I was lucky enough to visit India in 2013. It is an amazing country & I'm sure you'll have a most wonderful time. There is nothing more special (IMHO) than the first glimpse of the Taj Mahal as you walk through the gateway. Totally surreal.

While we didn't eat off street food stalls (though it was so tempting) we did eat some meals in small clean restaurants that were recommended by our tour guide. We ate meat Bryanis - lamb & chicken - and tandoori & butter chicken dishes. They were so enjoyable & we weren't unwell in any way for the eight days we were there. The food in these small restaurants were very cheap - especially compared to eating in the hotels. We did all the right things, bottled water, hand sanitiser, baby wipes but I'm sure we made mistakes at times. We had been told that salads were a no no because they were washed in normal tap water, and we forgot that rule till we were half way through a lovely fresh garden salad, but we got lucky. In our hotels I had G&Ts with ice, no problems but the hubby stuck to Kingfisher beer ;)

In the end I felt we had more chance getting skittled by all the chaotic madness that is the Indian traffic, than being unwell from anything we ate.

Hope this helps. Have a wonderful time in the most incredible country :D

4. Avoid ICE!

We spent 6 months in India and avoided any major illnesses and we followed similar steps to the above. We found a travel size squeeze dettol soap we carried around along with sanitizer. I almost never ate meat and never salad.

Always bottles water, never ice.

Always clean hands after touching money or shaking hands. Try not to touch your face (we follow all these later ones on cruise as well).

Try and eat in popular places as it means the food is turning over.

Appreciate the madness and the differences ... it is an infuriating but fascinating place (bit like playing golf haha)

Sent from my iPod touch using Forums

Hi Brian1

We are going to Hounslow for our Indian visas on 7 December. Massive trek to get there from Essex and they are so expensive! We decided to drive and try and get parking somewhere close. Worked out that it will take about 2h15 to get there by train and there might be a tube strike on your travel day on the Picadilly line.

We have booked a cruise with Costa starting 18/2/17. We are hoping that it will have a bit of an Indian flavour rather than their usuall Italian. The only place on the cruise I would happily give a miss is Male in the Maldives. Searched high and low on various sites and could not find anything worthwhile. All very expensive beach stuff. Not our cup of tea. Alas we are there for 3d.

My husband decided he was not going to eat anything in India:), I am happy to give about anything a try but the advice in the thread about vege food seems sensible. I'll pack straws and soap. I wonder whether anyone can give advice about toilets in India and Sri Lanka? Hole in the ground will be an issue for me with my rubbish knees.

Good luck for the 6th.

Alicat

Hi,thanks for reply and everyone else who replied.Having driven 1500 miles from italy and visiting family,we have time now to reply.We are booked in at goswell rd in the city and we live 100 yards from the district line in hornchurch so hopefully will be easier for us.Cheers,Brian.

Hi Brian1

How did your visa visit go?

He had diabolical traffic from Colchester to Hounslow this morning. The process at the centre was not too bad.

Because we had a booked slot we did not even have time to sit down before we were called. I have no idea why you have to go in person though because all the lady at the desk did was check that our address and phone numbers were correct, scribble on the form that said not too write on it and after about 10 minutes we left.

I thought they were going to give us the 3rd degree!

72 days till cruise. I cannot remember whether you said when you are going and who with.

Regards

Alicat58

Hi again

Just noticed that you are doing a land based tour followed by the Aurora. I would love to hear how your land based tour went. Our visa is only for a year and if we survive this trip we might have to do the golden triangle before it runs out.:D

Hi again

Just noticed that you are doing a land based tour followed by the Aurora. I would love to hear how your land based tour went. Our visa is only for a year and if we survive this trip we might have to do the golden triangle before it runs out.:D

Hi,we got an email yesterday saying our passports were ready for collection.We have the over 60 freedom pass,so travel to London is cost free.The only worry was we put 4 months as duration of visa and multiple entry and when we downloaded that page, the next page only single entry was available on drop down.I phoned helpline 3 times and got 3 different answers including getting refund and starting all over again,total rubbish.The last person said leave everthing as it is and come in.The lady at the centre just changed it to 6 months and all was ok.Anyone else should remember this,6 months is the minimum for multiple entry.We booked the whole package thru a company that has full page adds in the sun on sunday(cc wont allow naming).I will post our experience,cheers,Brian.

We spent 6 months in India and avoided any major illnesses and we followed similar steps to the above. We found a travel size squeeze dettol soap we carried around along with sanitizer. I almost never ate meat and never salad.

Always bottles water, never ice.

Always clean hands after touching money or shaking hands. Try not to touch your face (we follow all these later ones on cruise as well).

Try and eat in popular places as it means the food is turning over.

Appreciate the madness and the differences ... it is an infuriating but fascinating place (bit like playing golf haha)

Sent from my iPod touch using Forums

Hi,thanks for that.We love Indian food,in fact we have over 30 in a 2 mile radius from our house.Having been a London plumber for 45 years,if you had seen what I seen in restaurants backstage,you would never eat an Indian in the UK again.It hasent put me off though,cheers,Brian.

Thank you Brian for starting this thread

I also wanted to know about restaurants or etc. We are going in April for 12 days but only on a bed and breakfast and tours regime so lunch and dinner is down to us.

Thanks for the tips about soap and straw Did not think about that but if there water is not good then washed glasses may be suspect as you point out.

I have inspected the sites offering e visas but I think I will go direct with the government site and save $40 per person US It seems clear so long as you read everything twice and go carefully. They have a e-mail for questions and you can save your uncompleted form and go back later. You can also send a personalised question if worried to get the correct reply

I also hear that recently they changed their rules and e-visa for tourism can be applied for 4 months in advance instead of 30 days.

NOW I need to find out about Nepal visas?:(:confused:

Thank you Brian for starting this thread

I also wanted to know about restaurants or etc. We are going in April for 12 days but only on a bed and breakfast and tours regime so lunch and dinner is down to us.

Thanks for the tips about soap and straw Did not think about that but if there water is not good then washed glasses may be suspect as you point out.

I have inspected the sites offering e visas but I think I will go direct with the government site and save $40 per person US It seems clear so long as you read everything twice and go carefully. They have a e-mail for questions and you can save your uncompleted form and go back later. You can also send a personalised question if worried to get the correct reply

I also hear that recently they changed their rules and e-visa for tourism can be applied for 4 months in advance instead of 30 days.

NOW I need to find out about Nepal visas?:(:confused:

Hi,we get back in Feb so will post experience.All our hotels are also b&b but are 4 star,we will get advice from the guide for outside restaurants,cheers,Brian.

• 2 months later...

Hi,just reporting back to answer my own question.The 3 hotels we stayed in were 4 and 5 star and quite a distance from main built up areas so we ate in them and any lunches included on some tours which were a high standard.The breakfasts were a high standard with indian and international choices.Drinks were an arm and a leg so we survived on our 2 litres of duty free vodka for 6 days.Being a retired plumber I thought I had the constitution of an ox,but on the drive from jaipur to delhi we stopped at a roadside hotel and had an open air vegi buffet.The food wasnt that great and on the last morning woke up with delhi belly.We boarded the ship 2 days later in Dubai and hadnt eaten for 2 days.I recovered on the 3rd day.My advice is to just eat in the hotels as our ones were of a very high standard and not ultra expensive as long as you dont drink,and stoke up on the breakfast in the hotels,cheers,Brian.

Hi,just reporting back to answer my own question.The 3 hotels we stayed in were 4 and 5 star and quite a distance from main built up areas so we ate in them and any lunches included on some tours which were a high standard.The breakfasts were a high standard with indian and international choices.Drinks were an arm and a leg so we survived on our 2 litres of duty free vodka for 6 days.Being a retired plumber I thought I had the constitution of an ox,but on the drive from jaipur to delhi we stopped at a roadside hotel and had an open air vegi buffet.The food wasnt that great and on the last morning woke up with delhi belly.We boarded the ship 2 days later in Dubai and hadnt eaten for 2 days.I recovered on the 3rd day.My advice is to just eat in the hotels as our ones were of a very high standard and not ultra expensive as long as you dont drink,and stoke up on the breakfast in the hotels,cheers,Brian.

Thanks for the follow up on your trip! We've booked our Golden Triangle trip with 5 star hotels and are planning on eating in them. Normally I'm not afraid to try "street food" but I think I'll resist it! It just seems safer. Sorry you had to start your cruise feeling crappy (sorry, pun intended;p )!

Kathleen