Odd Question About The SBP

In reading the fine print for the SBP it says that each passenger over 21 in the same stateroom must purchase the package. It further states that if a package is purchase precruise but not for everyone over 21 in the cabin, then a package will be added for those over 21 to the shipboard account.

So here's the question. The package is $5 per day cheaper precruise and we will be on the Zuiderdam for eleven days. I also have a $700 shipboard credit which I would like to use. So will this work? I buy one package precruise, with the discount of $5/day. When we get onboard they bill our account for the second package at the regular price, but our shipboard credit will cover it right? And I'll save the $5/day on one of the packages, right? Wondering if anyone else has may have done this. We have gratuities covered already, and we are booking specialty dinning and excursions ahead of time, so the second SBP will be about our only charges. Thanks all for your help.

I wasn't aware there was a price difference. Are you reading the fine print about adding the gratuity to the package cost? With Explore 4 (should start next month) including the SBP, we haven't been a a cruise in a while without it. If you haven't already paid in full, have your cruise consultant or travel agent give you a price with the the Explore 4 promo when it comes out next month.

Yes I will keep an eye on Explore4 next month, but it usually increases the price of the cruise, so I'll need to crunch the numbers. Thanks.

Crunching the numbers is appropriate. I've seen HAL add full value of the Explore 4 benefits to the fare on hot ships like the K'dam when first available, or a substantial increase on high demand cruises, but we've made out like bandits on many "routine" Caribbean runs. It doesn't cost us anything to inquire.

• 1 month later...
In reading the fine print for the SBP it says that each passenger over 21 in the same stateroom must purchase the package. It further states that if a package is purchase precruise but not for everyone over 21 in the cabin, then a package will be added for those over 21 to the shipboard account.

So here's the question. The package is $5 per day cheaper precruise and we will be on the Zuiderdam for eleven days. I also have a $700 shipboard credit which I would like to use. So will this work? I buy one package precruise, with the discount of $5/day. When we get onboard they bill our account for the second package at the regular price, but our shipboard credit will cover it right? And I'll save the $5/day on one of the packages, right? Wondering if anyone else has may have done this. We have gratuities covered already, and we are booking specialty dinning and excursions ahead of time, so the second SBP will be about our only charges. Thanks all for your help.

I'm the OP of this thread and I thought folks might like to know how things turned out. I was indeed able to purchase just one SBP online precruise which did save me the $5/day. We leave in November and I believe an additional one will be added for my DW. I guess it's safe to say that my OBC will cover that, which is what I hoped would happen. I'll let you know post cruise for sure.