60 day period ending on the Effective Date

bUU

When the preexisting conditions clause has a 60 days lookback period, does that mean if you're currently dealing with something that you expect to be resolved in a month or so, should you delay purchasing insurance for 60 days after that to avoid any possible recriminations? (Let's say you already put down the cruise deposit a year and a half prior to the cruise and you're about to purchase non-refundable airfare later this month. Does that change the answer?)

Yep, you pretty much have it right. You want to purchase that insurance when there has been no medical issue for the prior two months...or whatever time frame is in your policy of choice. Or you can purchase a policy now that includes PEC as long as you purchase before final payment, like CSA.

As for airfare...if you have a reasonable certainty that nothing else will happen in the next 2-3 months, you can cover it along with the cruise and buy your policy when you have had a 60 day 'clean history'. Or you can buy a separate policy just for the airfare, although that is likely to be more costly. Or a policy that covers PEC up until final payment.

Hmmm... I did call a broker and asked specifically about buying separate insurance for the airfare, and got a negative answer. It didn't sound right to me.

That's because technically, a third party policy term covers you from the time you leave your house to the time you return. So it should be purchased to cover everything that happens during the time away. If you are looking to cover PEC, you are better off purchasing one policy with the right timing and costs. But you can purchase as many policies as you want...they all say they use coordination of benefits, but it will cost you unnecessary money to do that.

But I have purchased a policy for just the air and covered the cruise with cruiseline insurance and they both paid off.

What did the broker say?

What did the broker say?
I don't remember the exact words, but it was basically a negative response: No you can't (or perhaps "don't") buy separate insurance for the airfare and for the cruise itself.

• 1 month later...

Question:

We normally purchase CSA Luxe at final cruise payment. And had planned to do so for an upcoming cruise in February. We purchased our air to Australia about 2 months ago. I recently read that travel insurance should be purchased within 24 hours of when the greatest cost of your trip was purchased, not just at final payment.:confused: It just so happens that for this cruise, our greatest cost is not the cruise. It is the First Class airfare! :eek: And we have yet to purchase the trip insurance because cruise final is not until October.

Are we out of luck, or is there a way around this fowl-up? :(

The fact that we have already purchased the airfare and it was the greatest cost of our trip. Therefore, we did not purchase insurance within the 24 hour period after purchasing that air.

I understand that, but have no idea how this affects purchasing travel insurance. You can buy a policy any time.