Do I need both?

mediator

We are going on a WC in January and have Princess Insurance. I read that some people have medjet also. Do we need both insurances ? Should we drop Princess and keep medjet? My husband is a non believer with insurance and we have cruised more times than I can keep track of. Fortunately, we have never had an issue. Therefore I have very little insurance knowledge.

Please share why we should or should not have both. Or is medjet the way to go? Thank you. Cindy

Eveyone has his own risk tolerance, or maybe your last name is Rockefeller, but there is no way I would be on a world cruise without some hefty medical and evacuation insurance. At least consider Geo-blue or one of the other recommended insurance policies on tripinsurancestore.com.

Their lowest medical coverage is more than twice Princess's maximum coverage.

https://www.geobluetravelinsurance.com/products/single-trip/voyager-compare-plans-single.cfm

We are going on a WC in January and have Princess Insurance. I read that some people have medjet also. Do we need both insurances ? Should we drop Princess and keep medjet? My husband is a non believer with insurance and we have cruised more times than I can keep track of. Fortunately, we have never had an issue. Therefore I have very little insurance knowledge.

Please share why we should or should not have both. Or is medjet the way to go? Thank you. Cindy

We get both. They have different purpose. Princess insurance covers cruise related unexpected events, including medical emergencies. Medjet Assist covers evacuation from hospital in port to your hospital near home.

In 1999, my 72 year old MIL and FIL went on a river cruise in China on the Yangtzee River. She suffered a massive stroke while my FIL was getting some dinner. It was quite the process to get her off of the ship and to a hospital in Hong Kong after going to a "hospital" in some other town. She was there for a few weeks and then finally flown home to California. She was never quite the same and did pass 8 years later.

No travel insurance!

However, they had a nice "rainy day" fund and the expenses were massive. Unfortunately, she did not receive good medical care on the ship with drugs that are now available to treat the stroke ASAP.

Anyway, yes, we buy travel insurance. Well worth it.

Happy Sailing to all...

There are two main parts to travel insurance.

-Cancellation and Interruption. This is the bulk of the cost of insurance.

-Medical, including evacuation. This is a fairly small part of the cost of insurance.

If your DH does not want the former, you can always buy just the latter. Even with the high cost of a world cruise, if you can afford to lose the trip cost itself, you can manage without cancellation coverage.

But most people need some sort of medical/health insurance while traveling. Especially if you are on Medicare, which will not work out of the US. Emergency medical costs can far exceed the cost of the cruise.

Medjet is neither of the two main parts of Trip insurance, it is a transportation membership that will transfer a hospitalized patient to a hospital of their choice. It is not medical coverage. But since most medical policies only transport a patient to the nearest suitable hospital, many people purchase the medjet for peace of mind.

Med Jet is only good for first 90 days.

This post confused me so I took some time reading the details of the various options of Medjet membership. It is true that one level of membership covers being away from the home country for at most 90 consecutive days. For the vast majority of cruisers this is more than sufficient.

However, some full world cruises are longer than 90 days. For those cruisers, Expat 180 or Expat 365 membership would seem to provide coverage for those longer periods of being absent from the home country. Anyone doing a world cruise should be meticulous in researching the details of which membership plan to purchase.