Maui or kona for best snorkeling

EMS0325

My husband and I will be on the POA 9/30. We are renting cars in most ports. We are bringing our new masks with us but I'm concerned that I won't see a lot of fish off the beaches where we decide to stop. Thinking of doing a snorkeling excursion in either Maui or Kona. Have read mixed reviews in both locations. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated for this is our first time to Hawaii and don't want to miss the best of any of the ports!

The Kona port stop on the Big Island of Hawaii is a great place to book a snorkeling tour. The POA offers one by a highly rated tour company. There is a thread about it on this page. You may be able to book direct with them for a bit of savings, and they are located near the dock.

Generally, a tour operator will be able to get you to superior snorkeling places you can't access with "off the beach" snorkeling, such as Kealakekua Bay next to the Captain Cook monument. Two-Step is a good place to do it yourself, but from what I've read, you need to be a strong swimmer. There is a good private tour company which offers an option for those who want to go there but may need assistance in the water and in getting in and out off the rocky ledges.

Just off POA few weeks ago.

Best snorkeling excursion I have ever been on was in Kona. The big island snorkel tour booked thru NCL.

they use the boat bodygove directly next to tender dock simply amazing. I actually started a thread on these boards I loved it so much.

Need to write review for POA:-)

Kerri