Carnival Dream trip report. Carnival Dream 8/13/17

steve4031

8/12/17 Saturday

8:25 a.m.

My Southwest airlines flight from Chicago Midway to new Orleans is delayed 4 hours. Was going to depart at 9. It was changed to 12. Now 1:35. No stress, no fuss. This is why you fly in the day before. I woke up at 5:45 am to get ready to go to the airport and saw the flight notification on my phone. Ok, no problem. Dad and I go to our favorite restaurant and then to the airport. Now sitting at gate B7 starting my trip report.

This will be my first solo cruise. A week before departure GF determined that this was not the best time for her to travel. Ok. No problem. I had read numerous posts on cruise critic and knew that this was no problem and that I could continue on my own.

I will switch to anytime Dining. Will try to get in the steak house on the first night out of New Orleans. Anytime Dining offers the flexibility of joining others or eating solo on a night to night basis.

To add the drama the Dream was reported to have engine problems, skipping the last port of Cozumel and heading directly back to New Orleans. I'm following that thread on cruise critic too.

I intend to provide updates throughout today and tomorrow. Onboard I may not be able to post to cruise critic during sea days. I'll do the reports and upload whenever possible. I hope my experiences will help others the way you all have helped me.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

After 3 gate changes and very helpful service from Southwest airlines I finally arrived New Orleans over 4 hours late. A 200 dollar luv voucher significantly reduced pain and suffering that was already miminal do to the "I'm on vacation and I'm happy mindset".

An easy lyft ride and hilton's digital key ensured quick access to my room.

After 15 minutes I was back on the move implementing plans to ride street cars and eat oysters at gallstones restaurant with dessert at Cafe during minded.

After 3 gate changes and very helpful service from Southwest airlines I finally arrived New Orleans over 4 hours late. A 200 dollar luv voucher significantly reduced pain and suffering that was already miminal do to the "I'm on vacation and I'm happy mindset".

An easy lyft ride and hilton's digital key ensured quick access to my room.

After 15 minutes I was back on the move implementing plans to ride street cars and eat oysters at gallstones restaurant with dessert at Cafe during minded.

Auto correct curses!!!! I'm guessing you meant Galatoire's and Cafe Du Monde. Have fun!

Lyft request 1105 arrived 1109

Arrived cruise terminal 11:20 driver took long way around from west. This made for easy entrance.

I was onboard the dream at 12:04 and seated in a chair in the air conditioned atrium at 12:05. I did not sit in the cruise terminal. The entire time i was moving from one line to another.

There is nothing in travel as exhilarating as getting on a cruise ship. As a solo cruiser it is even better. There is a Complete sense of freedom.

The process of removing the other passenger from the booking was easy.

Now to get my first drink and change to your time dining and possibly dinner on the steak house.

Had a slab of prime rib and a bagel with lox and cream cheese for lunch. Managing one small bag and a plate of food was achallenge. Luckily found a spot with a couple at a 4 top by the windows. Food was good. Bagel was perfect.

Suitcase arrived about 3:20 and everything was stored before muster.

I did all the research before hand and promptly forgot all of it upon boarding the ship. Glad I have seven days to remember to do all I planned to do.

I purchased the 84 dollar plan for internet and it is working as expected. Texting sitz not work at first but workrd after an hour.

It is now 5 pm and the ship has not left yet. No announcement explaining why. Im not worried because I'm on board.

I waited until getting on the ship to make a reservation for the steakhouse on the first night. I asked one of the people with the"ask me" shirt and they referred me to an employee standing right there. She happened to work in the Steakhouse and Wrote down my cabin info on a piece of paper. I had my doubts. When I arrived my reservation was in the system. It was not crowded and I probably would have been seated any way.

I ordered surf and turf. Steak and lobster were the correct portion and nicely prepared. No additional seasoning was necessary.

The ride down the Mississippi was sublime. Shortly after departure we passed through a storm. As we twisted and turned down the river the sun Shined from different directions. At one turn I could see a line of ships following the Dream as I looked back up river. cc7f2b5a2242afacc68e9f0aa8df0f89.jpg7613a954d823822f452892eeda0d88ba.jpg