New to Oceana

PGI GUY

We are new to Oceana, our Trans Atlantic cruise on Azamara was drastically changed and our travel agent rebooked us on the Rivera for next November. I am interested in any info that would be helpful to a new customer with Oceana.

If anyone can give me an example of the cost of drinks on the ship, like wine by the glass and the starting cost for a bottle of wine, a standard martini in one of the bars or a drink price list would be helpful.

We have selected the premium economy upgrade fir $149.00 for our flight to Barcelona from Miami to board the ship, if anyone has had a recent experience using this option I would be interested in you thoughts.

We are looking forward to you tips and advice.

We used the premium economy upgrade in the June/July 2016 -- then it cost $99 -- and it was fine. We were on SAS from NYC to Copenhagen, on BA from LHR back to NYC. We rarely use Oceania's air but in this case it was a relative bargain, and premium economy was more than satisfactory.

Mura

Can't say much about recent experience .But have been on the Riviera three times . Really liked the ship .I don't know if they have changed the policy , but Oceania used to let you bring on your own wine as long as you drink it in the room or pay corkage in the dining room . You just can't waltz around with outside wines . This is pretty unusual for a cruise line .But is a good reason to go Oceania .Your flying , so you likely don't want a lot of wine in your luggage , but it can be done .

We are new to Oceana, our Trans Atlantic cruise on Azamara was drastically changed and our travel agent rebooked us on the Rivera for next November. I am interested in any info that would be helpful to a new customer with Oceana.

If anyone can give me an example of the cost of drinks on the ship, like wine by the glass and the starting cost for a bottle of wine, a standard martini in one of the bars or a drink price list would be helpful.

We have selected the premium economy upgrade fir $149.00 for our flight to Barcelona from Miami to board the ship, if anyone has had a recent experience using this option I would be interested in you thoughts.

Would you mind sharing what has changed on Azamara that was concerning? Azamara is direct competition of Oceania so this should be of interest.

Hopefully you booked your Oceania cruise through a TA that gave you some on board credits and perhaps a rebate on your cruise fare. You can use the OBC's to purchase the premium drink package. We find the wine expensive for what it offered and the martini's thimble size -- especially for the price! All drinks are measured so they are considerably weaker than what you would get at a restaurant or lounge at home. They also add a 18% tip to your drinks.

When you purchase the Prestige Package (not inexpensive but the gratuity is included), you can order top shelf alcohol, double martinis (or any other drink) at no additional charge. If there is an offer on your cruise for the Wine package (not worth it IMO), you would only pay the difference between the Wine and Premium packages.

Didn't mean to focus so much on alcohol, however, coming from a luxury cruise line, we were quite taken aback by the prices and pours on Oceania. I also find the $25 corkage fee to be a bit high.

Oceania is a lovely cruise line and we particularly enjoy the Riviera (almost a twin to the Marina). As you likely know, the rest of Oceania's ships were the same as Azamara's before they both did major refurbishments. They have great service and amazing food in their specialty restaurants.

When we first sailed on Oceania, we arranged a small group excursion when we were on Roll Call. IMO, these excursions are a much better price than what is offered on the ship and the excursions are quite a bit better.

Hope that you enjoy Oceania!

Last summer my husband and I upgraded from celebrity to Oceania for a Baltic cruise departing Copenhagen to Stockholm. Oceania is now my favorite cruise line. The food is much better than celebrity or princess or Holland America in my opinion. I especially appreciated the very good ocean view buffet as an alternative to the main dining room. We also enjoyed the specialty restaurants, although the Asian one was very subpar in our case.

Be sure to browse the Oceana forum on CC to get a lot of tips to get off to a good start.

Oh yes, I'll never forget that the second evening on board the ship, the captain hosted an Open bar throughout the ship. Any and all alcohol was available at your request, no charge. Usually though, we bought wine locally and brought it on board the ship. We opened it in our state room and then carried it throughout the ship, although perhaps not to the dining room. As a bon voyage present, my son gave my husband the largest bottle of fine scotch. He had quite the time drinking the contents before it was time to fly home. There was plenty to share with new friends we made on board the ship. Oceania is a great line, enjoy your cruise

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Would you mind sharing what has changed on Azamara that was concerning? Azamara is direct competition of Oceania so this should be of interest.\

There's a fairly long thread (about six pages) on the Azamara board detailing the events that caused the OP to cancel and rebook on O. It makes interesting and entertaining (in a perverse way—sort of like when you see something bad and can't look away) reading. I feel sorry for those affected but glad the OP found a substitute cruise. We were thinking of trying Azamara, but in light of that thread, I'm now not so sure. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2531417

Usually though, we bought wine locally and brought it on board the ship. We opened it in our state room and then carried it throughout the ship, although perhaps not to the dining room.

This is not something that is acceptable on Oceania

They are more liberal in their polices about bringing wine & spirits onboard but please do not abuse the generous policy & ruin it for those that obey the rules

JMO

There's a fairly long thread (about six pages) on the Azamara board detailing the events that caused the OP to cancel and rebook on O. It makes interesting and entertaining (in a perverse way—sort of like when you see something bad and can't look away) reading. I feel sorry for those affected but glad the OP found a substitute cruise. We were thinking of trying Azamara, but in light of that thread, I'm now not so sure. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2531417

The key with Az is not to book more than 10 to 11 months out. This avoids their charter cancellation window i have found. Once on board they are wonderful.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Forums mobile app

We've booked with Azamara almost 2 years out, many cabins sold already. I sure hope they are not changing it to a charter since we found no equivalent cruise on that particular itinerary. Otherwise I would have gladly booked a different ship. The old R ships are not my favorite, have cruise on them with Azamara and Oceania.

First of all a big thank you to all who responded to my questions, especially to LHT28 for giving me the drink prices and menus from last year.

To answer what Azamara did to us on our Trans Atlantic cruise here is the answer. About two weeks ago our cruise along with 2 other trips disappeared from the Azamara web site, I called and my travel agent called and we were told that everything is fine and they were only adjusting the cabin inventory. Well they lied ,not just to me but everyone else who called. When our trip was reposted it had been cut from 17 days to 14 days, all of the ports were changed and instead of leaving from Barcelona we were now leaving from Lisbon. We were offered a $250 cabin credit as compensation, what a joke. As a result our travel agent put us on Oceana. We are a group of 14 people that will never consider Azamara again. This whole mess was because they decided to charter the ship. I should also mention that our travel agent does not have any plans to sell this cruise line anytime soon.

First of all a big thank you to all who responded to my questions, especially to LHT28 for giving me the drink prices and menus from last year.

To answer what Azamara did to us on our Trans Atlantic cruise here is the answer. About two weeks ago our cruise along with 2 other trips disappeared from the Azamara web site, I called and my travel agent called and we were told that everything is fine and they were only adjusting the cabin inventory. Well they lied ,not just to me but everyone else who called. When our trip was reposted it had been cut from 17 days to 14 days, all of the ports were changed and instead of leaving from Barcelona we were now leaving from Lisbon. We were offered a $250 cabin credit as compensation, what a joke. As a result our travel agent put us on Oceana. We are a group of 14 people that will never consider Azamara again. This whole mess was because they decided to charter the ship. I should also mention that our travel agent does not have any plans to sell this cruise line anytime soon.

This doesn't just happen on Azamara. When O released its 2019 itineraries I booked a 10 night cruise in French Polynesia leaving on 2/20/19. About one or two months later, the cruise disappeared. No word from O until a week later advising it had been cancelled because the ship was being chartered out. The same cruise leaving 2/10 was then changed to a 12 night cruise, so not only were the people on the 2/20 cruise affected so we're the ones on 2/10 (presumably this was done because whomever chartered the Marina did not want it for the full 10 days and adding 2 to the 2/10 cruise kept the ship making money during the unchartered days). My dates are a few months farther out than yours but same concept. Took my $250 credit & booked the 2/10 cruise (of course at a higher cost because of the extra 2 days). My guess is that if people complain they just won't release the itineraries as early as they do.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

This doesn't just happen on Azamara. When O released its 2019 itineraries I booked a 10 night cruise in French Polynesia leaving on 2/20/19. About one or two months later, the cruise disappeared. No word from O until a week later advising it had been cancelled because the ship was being chartered out.

At least it was well over a year away so you could make alternate plans

Most cruise lines will charter their ships at one point or another

It is a guaranteed booking & big penalties if they cancel

At least it was well over a year away so you could make alternate plans

Yes, agreed, but so is the OP's cruise on Azamara - he said it was for November, 2018, which is still 15 months away. I was not complaining, just pointing out that he could very well have a similar experience on O or any other cruise line for that matter. It apparently happens and so I don't see it as a reason to abandon a cruise line.

Yes, agreed, but so is the OP's cruise on Azamara - he said it was for November, 2018, which is still 15 months away. I was not complaining, just pointing out that he could very well have a similar experience on O or any other cruise line for that matter. It apparently happens and so I don't see it as a reason to abandon a cruise line.

I think with the OP's cruise as I understand it the time frame was changed & the length of the cruise was shortened, ports changed

So maybe the new cruise did not fit in their schedule

Some people have more flexible schedules or were planning on doing some land tours before or after the cruise

At least when the schedule is changed that far out you have a choice to stick with the new schedule or change

I have read where some lines have chartered the ship less than 6 mths out & then it is a sticky situation

Just saying

I think with the OP's cruise as I understand it the time frame was changed & the length of the cruise was shortened, ports changed

So maybe the new cruise did not fit in their schedule

Some people have more flexible schedules or were planning on doing some land tours before or after the cruise

At least when the schedule is changed that far out you have a choice to stick with the new schedule or change

I have read where some lines have chartered the ship less than 6 mths out & then it is a sticky situation

Just saying

Agreed. Changes made within 320 days of sailing could present an issue for people who book their own airfare & do so as soon as the airline schedule opens up.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Real question;

It is currently mid August 2017. In another thread, we have people clamoring for Oceania to release its late 2019 and 2020 schedule. Does one think it is reasonable that a schedule, released that far in advance, be cast in stone and not subject to any change? As stated above, anything beyond the 330 date actually shouldn't provide problems , unless you're looking to be annoyed!

As I recall, liquor was included... unless you want a premium wine with dinner. We've been 3 times and loved the smaller ships. There was never the cattle call you get on the other big ships. Don't go expecting this to be a carnival spring break type atmosphere, but then that's why we loved it. Regent does a nice job too.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums