Thomson Cruises Dress Question

Just beginning to think about clothes for my first Thomson cruises. I am booked on a four day cruise from Newcastle on the Celebration. As I am travelling to the cruise by train I would like to minimise my luggage.

Normally on a cruise, for a casual evening, I wear dark trousers, a shirt, tie and light brown blazer. Please could I ask if that be appropriate for a Thompson cruise? Also I am not sure if we will have a formal evening my cruise. Ideally I would not take a suit or dinner jacket. Do you think my blazer style jacket will suffice if we have a formal night?

I usually cruise from the UK so Thomsons is relatively unknown to me. I was in Naples last summer and we docked next to Discovery and she looked rather good with her wave blue hull.

Thank you, Stephen.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Tried to find out from Thomson if there would be a Formal Night (see my other post) but no joy.

You will find Celebration much different to Discovery, but very enjoyable as a more traditional ship.

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk

I read your thread about formal night. It got me thinking about what to pack. I do not think we will know until we are on Celebration. I hope there is a formal night.

I am finding it a bit odd not knowing my cabin. I booked a single inside so there is relatively few for them to choose for me.

Best wishes, Stephen.

This is the reply from Thomson. Can't make any sense of it:

Thank you for your email

We cannot guarantee that there would be a formal night normally on a 4night cruise there is not a formal night but this cannot be guaranteed,

Apologies

Kind Regards

Cheryl

This is the reply from Thomson. Can't make any sense of it:

Thank you for your email

We cannot guarantee that there would be a formal night normally on a 4night cruise there is not a formal night but this cannot be guaranteed,

Apologies

Kind Regards

Cheryl

I think it should read -

We cannot guarantee that there will be a formal night.

Normally, on a 4 night cruise, there is not a formal night, but this cannot be guaranteed.

Not very informative is it?

I did think about my dinner suit or dark suit. I would take it if I was sure there was going to be a formal night.

Do you think Jacket and Tie is too much for other nights. It is my first Thomson cruise so I was only going CMV, Fred Olsen, P and O and Cunard. I find it is a mixture on those lines with quite a few in Jacket and Tie.

Thank you, Stephen.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Do you think Jacket and Tie is too much for other nights
Short answer, as PC says above, is yes.

Most men go open neck shirt, short or long sleeve as preferred, or smart polo neck.

Incidentally, shorts are acceptable in the MDR for breakfast, as well as in the buffet restaurant - the MDR is choice of self service or waiter.

Stephen,

Here is the News:

(After several emails back and forth)

To

Message body

Good Afternoon,

Thank you for your response.

I can confirm there will be a formal night.

I have had this checked with our operations team also.

I do hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Laura.

TUI Cruise.

Yes, this time next week we will be boarding. One of the good things about Thomson is that they serve lunch in the Lido buffet on deck 5 aft from the start of boarding, so you can grab some lunch whilst waiting for your suitcases to arrive in your cabin. The free tea and coffee are also to be found in the buffet.

Any questions please ask and I will try to help.

See you next Friday.

Malc.

Thank you that is really useful to know. I was not sure if I should get lunch in Newcastle or at the terminal. I will have a good breakfast in the hotel and then have lunch on Celebration. Hopefully I can use my all inclusive package for a nice glass of wine in the sun on deck.

It is years since I cruised from Newcastle but I seem to remember the terminal was quite good compared to some others. There was a proper coffee shop. Embarkation took a bit longer as there was a bus ride to the ship from the terminal. It may have all changed of course.

See you next week.

Best wishes, Stephen.

You used to be able to walk the 400 to 500 yards to the ship if you wanted. There was also a free shuttle to Newcastle Central station on disembarkation day. For my Discovery cruise next year I will stay in the nearby Premier Inn so it is a gentle stroll to the terminal. It will rain of course.

Thank you that is really useful to know. I was not sure if I should get lunch in Newcastle or at the terminal. I will have a good breakfast in the hotel and then have lunch on Celebration. Hopefully I can use my all inclusive package for a nice glass of wine in the sun on deck.

It is years since I cruised from Newcastle but I seem to remember the terminal was quite good compared to some others. There was a proper coffee shop. Embarkation took a bit longer as there was a bus ride to the ship from the terminal. It may have all changed of course.

See you next week.

Best wishes, Stephen.

Yes, Newcastle cruise terminal is still as you remember with refreshment facilities etc. I think this may be because it is also the terminal for the ferries to Europe so it is well used.

We sailed from "London Cruise Terminal" (Tilbury) in May and the refreshment facilities there were non-existent. It was abysmal after a long drive down from Yorkshire.

You will be able to use your AI as soon as you board. It will be marked on your boarding card which you receive at check-in.

There is a short bus ride between check-in and the dock but I think this is for H&S reasons because pedestrian movements conflict with traffic in the dock area.

Regards,

Malc.