Long wait between disembarking and flight home from FLL.. what to do ?

bottledweller

The cruise line excursions will get you to the airport way too early. Check (ask this question on your cruise line board) if they offer a luggage valet program where, for a fee, they collect your luggage the night before disembarkation and you next see it on the luggage carosel of your home airport. Without having to shelp around your luggage you are free to take the water taxi (www.watertaxi.com) and/or the sun trolley (www.suntrolley.com) to sightsee and have a late lunch in Fort Lauderdale.

Alternatively you could rent a car and put your luggage in the trunk and then do your sightseeing (check out www.sunny.org).

As a third alternative a few Fort Lauderdale hotels offer day rooms with access to hotel amenities (pool, etc.). Most often mentioned is the Rodeway Inn and Suites where you can reserve your room in advance. A much nicer hotel in a much better location (downtown Fort Lauderdale), the Riverside Hotel, has been reported on this board to offer day rooms but you can only call and reserve on the day you need it.

They have luggage storage at the airport, downstairs by the exit. We have been able to use curbside checkin for jet blue as early as 9:30am for a 6:30pm flight , we leave our carry on at the luggage storage. If your on RCL they offer luggage valet for 25.00 and that includes getting your boarding pass the last night of the cruise. You can also take the Sun Trolley from the airport to downtown.

Compare prices of a rental car, to a hotel room for the day, to changing to an earlier flight. Unless there is a HUGE price difference , get an earlier flight. You will be off the ship before 9am....probably much earlier than that! You can easily make a 10am flight.

They have luggage storage at the airport, downstairs by the exit. We have been able to use curbside checkin for jet blue as early as 9:30am for a 6:30pm flight , we leave our carry on at the luggage storage. If your on RCL they offer luggage valet for 25.00 and that includes getting your boarding pass the last night of the cruise. You can also take the Sun Trolley from the airport to downtown.

Good points:

• The Sun Trolley airport link (http://www.suntrolley.com/routes-schedules-fares/airport/) is available for free on weekends. I think the latest return is at 4:30 so you would still get back to the airport and have 2 1/2 hours before your flight - or just take a cab/Uber back from town an hour or so later. There have also been some reports in this forum that the trolley can fill up before reaching all 4 terminals, especially in the high season so have a plan B to take a cab/Uber wherever you want to go.

The Rodeway Inn is a total dump. I had a day room there last week waiting for a flight for non-cruise related travel. Total cost was $72.59.

I'm not sure how to even describe the place. Filthy, smells horrible, things are broken, etc. The negative reviews on TripAdvisor are absolutely correct, and whoever posts responses (Izzy?) for the hotel is an absolute lunatic. The over-the-top positive reviews must be fake.

I would consider another option.

The Rodeway Inn is a total dump. I had a day room there last week waiting for a flight for non-cruise related travel. Total cost was $72.59.

I'm not sure how to even describe the place. Filthy, smells horrible, things are broken, etc. The negative reviews on TripAdvisor are absolutely correct, and whoever posts responses (Izzy?) for the hotel is an absolute lunatic. The over-the-top positive reviews must be fake.

I would consider another option.

You would be doing a favor to many cruisers if you post this on the Florida Departures Board too since the topic of day rooms comes up frequently.

There is a reason there are bars in airports.

We have a 7:30pm flight home from Fort Lauderdale after our cruise. I wouldn't mind so much except I don't know what to do with our luggage ? any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

We are going on RCL. I have to look into this, thank you

Compare prices of a rental car, to a hotel room for the day, to changing to an earlier flight. Unless there is a HUGE price difference , get an earlier flight. You will be off the ship before 9am....probably much earlier than that! You can easily make a 10am flight.

You CAN make a 10 AM flight; but I'm not sure about "easily". FLL can get clogged - how many people will be debarking from your ship? How many from others coming in the same day? Will it be at the end of a vacation period when there might be many land vacationers flying home? Could the ship be delayed?

If you are CERTAIN that you will be off the ship BEFORE 9:00 AM, there is a reasonable CHANCE you can get to the airport, check your bags, clear security and get to the gate before they close the doors at 9:45 --- but no one in his right mind would bet on it without a good, affordable Plan B in mind.

We also had a late flight out of FLL a couple of years ago and we did the RCCL Land and Sea Tour. The first part was a tour of parts of FL by bus and then we got on a boat and toured the intracoastal waterway. I can't remember if we were able to use the luggage valet program or if we had to pick up our luggage at the airport but at least we didn't have to deal with it all day long. We enjoyed the tour.

I always do it out of San Juan. Ask your TA for help or try a Hyatt or Marriott. You might be better calling the hotel directly vs 1-800 number. I actually booked a night and made sure it says we won't be there till the morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That's a great idea! The hard part is finding a hotel with day rates that's not a dive.

Any helpful suggestions? Have you found one? :)

Some have posted that they were able to get a day room (especially in the off season) at the Riverside on Las Olas. That hotel is definitely not a dive! Plus it is in a great location within walking distance to lots of restaurants, galleries, etc. and the Carrie B (excursion boat with 1 1/2 hour tours of the intracoastal if you don't want to spend the entire day by the pool). The problem is that most report they don't take reservations in advance; you have to call on the day you want the room but I think there has been at least one report this summer that when called a week early the hotel was able to confirm that there would be no issue.