MDR first night dress

phoneman69

What is the dress code for first night dinning in the MDR. DW and I are sailing Fascination in Sept and would like to know dress for first night. Do you sit at your assigned table first night ?

Thanks

Yes, you sit at your table number. Since many will not have had the chance to unpack, the dress is casual, many usually spiff up a bit by changing shoes or putting on a clean shirt from traveling.

What is the dress code for first night dinning in the MDR. DW and I are sailing Fascination in Sept and would like to know dress for first night. Do you sit at your assigned table first night ?

Thanks

Anything goes on Carnival.

It has always been my experience that the first night and the last night are the most casual since on the first night many won't have had a chance to pack, and on the last night they are all packed up (or out of clean clothes). For the first night I usually do capris and the most casual of the tops I've brought along, and semi-dressy sandals. My husband does the khaki shorts and polo and boat shoes. I have seen all levels of dress on the first and last nights so as long as you look nice you will be fine.

So I've reserved the chefs table and received confirmation that it's on the first night. Should I be disappointed that it'll be casual dress? I thought this would be on the elegant night....

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The attire of others won't change your meal quality. It's also been our experience that people don't short change their attire here, even on casual nights.

Seriously, why worry about others and what they wear on your vacation?

Thanks

I will say this, first night in the MDR is casual, but as for sitting at your assigned table the first night???? My DW and I was on the Carnival Valor out of San Juan we did not sit at our assigned table the first night. I wish we were though because that group the first night we all hit it off great. The table we finally ended up at (rest of the cruise) was BAD. One couple came like the 3rd night all the guy was saying was "look at how small everything was", portion wise they never came back. the only other couple at this 8 top was on their honeymoon :), but by the 3rd night I think they were getting divorced:eek:, one night it was just him the next night just her. Worst dinning experience on a cruise ever.

So I've reserved the chefs table and received confirmation that it's on the first night. Should I be disappointed that it'll be casual dress? I thought this would be on the elegant night....

Are you sure? I don't think they ever have the Chef's Table on elegant nights. We received a note in our cabin about Chef's table the second or third day. How did they inform you, what about clothes? There is no way I would show up to the Chef's Table in shorts, T and flip flops

Are you sure? I don't think they ever have the Chef's Table on elegant nights. We received a note in our cabin about Chef's table the second or third day. How did they inform you, what about clothes? There is no way I would show up to the Chef's Table in shorts, T and flip flops

Yes, I received an email. It says my reservation date is 9/30 (same as sail date) and time is 6pm.

You bet bring a nice outfit in your carry on. Close toed shoes are required, I would not go in shorts, and you probably want a button down shirt, of course, if you are a guy. Roofergal is probably not a guy (LOL) so pack something nice in your carry on

Anything goes on Carnival.

LOL....these days 'anything DOES go on CCL" in MDR, not just on 1st night. But to answer OP, generally it is acceptable to wear what you wore upon boarding on the 1st night....but since rules are so lax these days, it seems that that mode of dress is OK on all the other nights too these days!! :D

I didn't read all the postings so far, but I believe you have a "sample" of how most people dress for the first night at the MDR.

For me, I "normally" dress up a tad, as we have nice dinnerware, glasses, along with the table cloth, etc. (Generally for the last night of the cruise, I dress down (slacks/blouse), as I am doing packing then.). I continue dressing up a tad, until formal nights, and then I really "dress up." :)

As noted, you'll see just about everything the first night, because a lot of folks haven't even received their luggage yet. (Especially if they opted for early seating.) Bottom line, don't stress too much the first evening. Just enjoy being aboard the ship, and getting ready for a FUN cruise.

"SKY"

I do not agree that "anything goes", depends on the Maitre'd. On the Magic in January, the Maitre'd was not allowing gentlemen in the MDR on Elegant night. Two couple in front of us were denied entry, The wives quickly replied "I told you so" We did same them return to the MDR in slacks.

Yes, I received an email. It says my reservation date is 9/30 (same as sail date) and time is 6pm.

Ok im confused, im on the fascination 10/1/17 sailing. Also chefs table reserved for the cruise. No correspondence yet on what day this dinning event is scheduled. How is 9/30 (your sailing date) one day before mine on the same ship?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app

I didn't read all the postings so far, but I believe you have a "sample" of how most people dress for the first night at the MDR.

For me, I "normally" dress up a tad, as we have nice dinnerware, glasses, along with the table cloth, etc. (Generally for the last night of the cruise, I dress down (slacks/blouse), as I am doing packing then.). I continue dressing up a tad, until formal nights, and then I really "dress up." :)

I thought they only had tablecloths on elegant night?

Bill

When we've had assigned time/table dining, we were always seated at the assigned table from the first night. Dress is pretty casual - some people may still be waiting on their luggage.

Have any of your cruises been from San Juan where the ship left at 10pm?

I think that's where some ships used to have open seating the first night.:)

Bill

Ok im confused, im on the fascination 10/1/17 sailing. Also chefs table reserved for the cruise. No correspondence yet on what day this dinning event is scheduled. How is 9/30 (your sailing date) one day before mine on the same ship?

Roofergal is on the Triumph not Fascination :)

Bill

I do not agree that "anything goes", depends on the Maitre'd. On the Magic in January, the Maitre'd was not allowing gentlemen in the MDR on Elegant night. Two couple in front of us were denied entry, The wives quickly replied "I told you so" We did same them return to the MDR in slacks.

That must have been a fun evening in the MDR with just women.

Sounds a little sexist to me.:p

Bill

We're not on the same ship. I'm on the Triumph.

We're not on the same ship. I'm on the Triumph.

Gotcha. I was panicked thinking ive made some mistake on my flights etc...I Actually logged in and cked my booking after reading your post. Thanks for the clarification. Have a great cruise!