Cruise safety in the middle east

daveb714

We are currently booked on Royal Caribbean's Mariner of the Seas on a re-positioning cruise. It begins in Dubai and goes through the Gulf of Aden, Red Sea, Suez Canal and into the Mediterranean. It ends in Barcelona. Now we saw the recent story in the news about the Princess Cruise where they were blacked out every night for 10 nights because of the threat of pirates. We also read a story about an incident in Israel where shrapnel ended up on a cruise ship while docked there (where we also stop). We are now considering cancelling and taking a cruise from Sydney, Australia to Fiji. We think the mid-east cruise would be fascinating but we are now worried. Any thoughts on what we should do?

We sailed between Dubai and the Med four times on the Ocean Princess. We never had any problems. We did have a Pirate Drill prior to entering the area where there are pirates.

We did not have to blackout like one person reported on this recent cruise.

We sailed between Dubai and the Med four times on the Ocean Princess. We never had any problems. We did have a Pirate Drill prior to entering the area where there are pirates.

We did not have to blackout like one person reported on this recent cruise.

Hi Paul, I'm wondering when you sailed to the region. Has the environment gotten better or worse since you were last there?

I've been through the region several times and never had any issues. The last time was earlier this year. Will be there again Sept/Oct. Israel would not be my concern, in the scheme of things. I find the area fascinating. However, if you are uncomfortable to the point you would worry and not enjoy the cruise, I'd opt for something else. No need for stress on a vacation.

Our friends who sailed from Dubai through the Suez Canal and on to Barcelona last year had a "Safe Drill" when they left Dubai where they practiced sitting on the stairways in the event of a pirate attack. Lights inside the ship were on but all curtains were to be kept closed and no one was allowed out on the open decks at night. Otherwise, things were as normal at night.

They introduced 18 armed guards who would be cruising with them until they reached the Suez Canal.

They had a WONDERFUL time and so glad they went! :D

We are currently booked on Royal Caribbean's Mariner of the Seas on a re-positioning cruise. It begins in Dubai and goes through the Gulf of Aden, Red Sea, Suez Canal and into the Mediterranean. It ends in Barcelona. Now we saw the recent story in the news about the Princess Cruise where they were blacked out every night for 10 nights because of the threat of pirates. We also read a story about an incident in Israel where shrapnel ended up on a cruise ship while docked there (where we also stop). We are now considering cancelling and taking a cruise from Sydney, Australia to Fiji. We think the mid-east cruise would be fascinating but we are now worried. Any thoughts on what we should do?

The real question is how much risk are you willing to accept. Likely nothing worrisome will occur, but if it does are you willing to deal with it. Right now we are not happy cruising anywhere in that area, but we simply have decided that for us the risks outwigh any benefits that we might gain by being in that part of the word as Americans right now.

I have sailed that area a few times and have never seen anything like the Princess situation.

I would have no concern sailing the area.

Thing happen but I have to tell you since you mentioned Israel that overall it is a very safe area to visit and its cruise ship terminals are safer then most around the world.

Keith

We did a Black Sea cruise with Vantage, visiting all six Black Sea countries, including Odessa, Ukraine and Sochi, Russia) just a few months after Russia annexed the Crimea. (Tension in the area was high and all other cruise ships had cancelled). Ours was the only passenger ship encountered once out of Turkey and in each of those countries, we were welcomed with open arms and never once felt unsafe. It was a once in a lifetime experience, and if this cruise is an area you really want to experience, go for it!

We recently sailed from Venice to Dubai. Our stop in Israel was an incredible experience...we felt safe the 2 days we were there. Yes, we did the drill after going through the Suez Canal and Red Sea...pirates are known to be near Somalia.

The drill was new to us and did not mind sailing on a ship with all the lights turned off in the evening...less visible for the pirates to see the cruise ship. In addition, there were at least 5 (that we observed) expert/highly trained, security personnel onboard, walking and making sure passengers were safe.

Ultimately, it is your decision.

Note: Dubai is one of the most fascinating...correction, amazing...cities in the world. We would sail on the Mariner just so we can go back to Dubai.

Your second option is not bad either...we found Sydney to be one of the easiest cities to get around in...purchase an Opal Card...gets you on the bus, train, and ferries. And of course, the South Pacific is breathtaking.

Happy Sailing. :)

Barcelona just had a terrorist attack, too. I don't think any of that area could be considered "safe"....sure, the odds are with you being fine...but there are so many other places that are not under constant attack...just saying.

Of course, you could walk out of your door tomorrow and get caught up in a "drive by shooting", car accident, or fall down the stairs and break your neck....life isn't safe at all!

Barcelona just had a terrorist attack, too. I don't think any of that area could be considered "safe"....sure, the odds are with you being fine...but there are so many other places that are not under constant attack...just saying.

Of course, you could walk out of your door tomorrow and get caught up in a "drive by shooting", car accident, or fall down the stairs and break your neck....life isn't safe at all!

And what, exactly, is "that area"? Barcelona? Dubai? Everything in between?

Where did you hear that any of these places are under "constant atrack"? Honestly, I wonder where you get your world news from.

OP, disregard any misinformed fear mongering. But DO make your decision based on your own comfort level. The risk really is slight. If it was high, the cruise line wouldn't be doing it. If the idea of the transit to and through the Suez makes you uneasy, though, then pick an alternate cruise with which you ARE comfortable. This is your vacation.

We are now considering cancelling and taking a cruise from Sydney, Australia to Fiji.

With the North Koreans testing missiles in that region and threatening Guam in the South Pacific I don't see what could possibly go wrong.

With the North Koreans testing missiles in that region and threatening Guam in the South Pacific I don't see what could possibly go wrong.

Well the distance between Guam and Fiji is very very very close, only 5,023 kilometers. Or for you Americans 3,121 miles.

:rolleyes:

Hi Paul, I'm wondering when you sailed to the region. Has the environment gotten better or worse since you were last there?

We were there roughly 2010 thru 2013. I am not sure how the region has changed since then.

We almost always had a naval vessel in sight.

P&O Oceana is to be "homed" in Dubai in winter 2019 for a series of cruises round that area, and they're hoping to continue the following autumn/winter. As a million Brits go to Dubai for holidays each year, P&O thought this would be popular- and yes, we're thinking about it.It will only be the Gulf, Red Sea etc, and they're expecting that people will have a few days in Dubai added on. My friends take their child to Dubai at least once a year.