Excursions in Cozumel and Grand Cayman

MomDeb

We are cruising in a couple of weeks on Carnival Princess going into Cozumel and Grand Cayman. What excursions would you suggest? My husband would like to see some sort of ruins in Cozumel, but doesn't want to spend 5 hours driving to/from. Thanks!

OP, you may have better luck posting this on the Port of Call forums. Also, there are no real ruins worthy of an excursion on Cozumel. They would require a trip to the mainland, and you should count on the excursion lasting the entire time the ship is docked there (unless it's Coz+).

We are cruising in a couple of weeks on Carnival Princess going into Cozumel and Grand Cayman. What excursions would you suggest? My husband would like to see some sort of ruins in Cozumel, but doesn't want to spend 5 hours driving to/from. Thanks!

You and hubby will have to make a choice on the ruins. You can see the ones on the island but they will not compare to what is available on the mainland. It will be a full day.

If you do not wish to do either ruins, we have enjoyed Chankanaab park. They have a few recreated buildings teaching about Mayan history as well as excellent animal encounter programs and great snorkeling from shore.

In Grand Caymen we have enjoyed snorkeling after sting rays, as well as string rays combined with an island tour including the turtle farm and hell.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I would definitely not see the mainland ruins from Cozumel. Way too far and too long to get there to be worth doing on a port day. Either do the small ruins on the island or something different. We did a snorkeling excursion there and then went into town for lunch. Grand cayman I definitely recommend string ray city. We've done it in a couple places and grand cayman is the best.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

IF this is your first cruise, and you really like it, then do a cruise either out of Mobile or New Orleans that goes to Progreso MX and go the Chichen Itza or Uxmal. These are ruins to see. Your present cruise is all about the water, Cozumel has great beach or snorkeling opportunities, as does Grand Cayman. Have a great cruise!

Stingray City is one of those must do things! We use Moby Dick and have used them twice over the years. https://www.mobydicktours.com/

And in Cozumel, we usually go to Chakanaab. It is a National Park, entry is about $21 per adult ($2 off discount coupon avail on the web, use Google) and has most everything you could want. The food is good, the drinks cheap and is about a $12 taxi ride from the port. (That is $12 for the Taxi, not $12 per person). There are lots of different things to do, snorkel, swim with the dolphins, a Tequila tasting, lay out on the sand or under a palapa. Their website does not do the place justice. http://www.cozumelparks.com/eng/chankanaab.cfm I'm headed there again in about 70 days, will make my 7th time!

IF this is your first cruise, and you really like it, then do a cruise either out of Mobile or New Orleans that goes to Progreso MX and go the Chichen Itza or Uxmal. These are ruins to see. Your present cruise is all about the water, Cozumel has great beach or snorkeling opportunities, as does Grand Cayman. Have a great cruise!

Ooooh! Thank you for the idea! We are going to Cozumel next year and want to see Chichen Itza, but it's sooo far away! But now gonna look for a 2019 cruise to Progreso! :D

• 3 months later...
For the Grand Caymans, we really enjoyed the stingray excursion. It takes you out to a natural sandbar where the stingrays are.

I don't recommend the Turtle, Stingray Land and Sea Adventure - we Got 10 minutes at each stop and the day was just frustrating. The captain got the boat stuck on the sand bar and we almost didn't make it back to the ship.

There are ruins on Cozumel called San Gervasio. It's prob not as impressive as the ones you would travel to the main land for but they are nice. You pay a small fee to enter the park and walk around.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Forums mobile app

When we are in Cozumel we rent a Jeep for the day and tour the island at our own pace. You can visit the small temple ruins you mentioned and so much more. It only costs about $125 a day with insurance included and you can see the whole island.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Stingray City is one of those must do things! We use Moby Dick and have used them twice over the years. https://www.mobydicktours.com/

And in Cozumel, we usually go to Chakanaab. It is a National Park, entry is about $21 per adult ($2 off discount coupon avail on the web, use Google) and has most everything you could want. The food is good, the drinks cheap and is about a $12 taxi ride from the port. (That is $12 for the Taxi, not $12 per person). There are lots of different things to do, snorkel, swim with the dolphins, a Tequila tasting, lay out on the sand or under a palapa. Their website does not do the place justice. http://www.cozumelparks.com/eng/chankanaab.cfm I'm headed there again in about 70 days, will make my 7th time!

My exact recommendations. Awesome excursions. Moby dick was a great experience .

Chankanaab is sprawling and beautiful with a nature path with well done replica ruins and there is a free Sea Lion show. You can also book an excursion to swim with dolphins, sea lions or manatees.

I don't recommend the Turtle, Stingray Land and Sea Adventure - we Got 10 minutes at each stop and the day was just frustrating. The captain got the boat stuck on the sand bar and we almost didn't make it back to the ship.

I just booked this through Shore Excursioneer. Was the one you went on thru Carnival or an outside company?