What do do around EWR/Cape Liberty with time to burn?

geomancer

We're flying into EWR on a Friday (6-29-18) and the plane lands at 8:48 AM. Cruise leaves at 3 PM.

So we have roughly 6 hours, provided no flight delays. Not sure when we'll be able to check in for the cruise, but surely not THAT early. We were planning on using Uber to get to the port?

Then on the return it's worse .... but it saved a heck of a lot of money (and stress, we don't have to rush at all). Ship is scheduled to arrive at 7 AM and the flight out isn't until 4:50 PM. So again, we'll have 6-7 hours even taking our time getting off the ship. Again, planning on Uber to return to EWR?

Is there anything at all to do to pass the time? Having luggage in tow I'm sure limits the options considerably.

You won't get off if the plane until after 9, and probably not in an uber before 9:30 if you checked luggage. Then you have leftover rush hour traffic, so you will probably arrive at Cape Liberty after 10. They start boarding around 11/11:30, so by the time you go through the line for security, and the next line, you won't have much waiting to do. You need to be on the ship at least 1 1/2 hour before sailing.

Yes, I'm not too worried about the arrival, I might have to wait to check in, and wait again to board, but not for too long.

The return though, we'll have a couple hours, even accounting for arriving 2 hours early to the airport. Not sure what to do, aside from sitting in the airport reading a book.

Yes, I'm not too worried about the arrival, I might have to wait to check in, and wait again to board, but not for too long.

The return though, we'll have a couple hours, even accounting for arriving 2 hours early to the airport. Not sure what to do, aside from sitting in the airport reading a book.

Just about your only choice with luggage is to take the NY tour bus excursion with the airport dropoff for $99/pp. Another option would be to take an Uber to Jersey Gardens Mall and hang out there with luggage before taking an Uber to the terminal.

Another option on your return would be shuttle to EWR, rent a car to store your luggage and sightsee. Liberty State Park is very close to EWR, park the rental and take the ferry to Ellis island and Statue of Liberty. I was going to suggest a drive to the shore but it would be 90 minutes each way, so not viable.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If you are with Royal on Antham, we just got back. We had a 4:00 flight so we booked their excursion, Manhattan highlights and transfer to EWR. We left the ship with our luggage and got on the bus at 8:30. We toured all over Manhattan with one 30 minute stop at Ground Zero. They got us to the airport at about 1:45 for our 4:00 p.m. Flight. I would recommend it.