What should we expect?

dce85

I've read that upgrades don't come with the perks of the new category but rather what came with the cabin originally booked. Considering we booked a premium balcony guarantee and have been given a P S instead, I'm guessing we will get the room service perk and choice of dining (which we have). I'm not expecting anything else. Since we have never used room service, what tip is suggested for room service? I figure we'll start our day with breakfast on the balcony. Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

They only do a continental breakfast on Room service, cereals, yogurts and pastries but no bacon or eggs. Its up to you whether you tip or not but a couple of euros is adequate as you pay a service charge added to your onboard account everyday, which cannot be altered or removed.

• 3 weeks later...

Just finished our cruise and truly enjoyed it. We were upgraded to a suite, our first. We had a bottle of champagne waiting and a fresh fruit basket each day. Room service was included but we only used it for one breakfast. The breakfast options DID include several egg options, even eggs Benedict. We ate in the specialty restaurant once and the charge was waived. Plus, we were invited to the Captain's cocktail reception and we think it was because we were in a suite.

Dce,

We experienced the same as you. I don't know why we got the upgrade. When I called Costa directly to request late seating, they told me that while we got the upgraded room, we would not get the upgraded services.

Apparently, the onboard crew is not made aware of who is upgraded and we were treated wonderfully by both the butler and cabin steward. I was very surprised to see that bottle of champagne, as well as the daily fruit basket. Periodic treats awaited us when we got back to the room at the end of the day. And yes, apparently there is an upgraded breakfast menu including hot dishes for premium balconies. We used it several times. We also received a complimentary dinner in the specialty restaurant and were at the cocktail party.

So far, Costa has upgraded us on both cruises we've taken with them. It makes cruising with Costa a yearly tradition when they come to the Caribbean in the winter months. Their unique itineraries and great prices make it hard to pass them up, despite some of their shortcomings. Bottomline, if you know what to expect, you shouldn't be as disappointed, and you should have a great cruising experience.

• 8 months later...