Costa Mediterranea...wow!

Amelie1214

Was on the CM this last week and had an awesome time! We booked an interior but were upgraded to a balcony..nice. I'm so glad the reviews on here didn't put me off from going with Costa because it was a really great trip and awesome value. We have spend 3x as much at mediocre resorts so this was really a surprise. So you know where I'm coming from...I'm American and my husband is Italian, I have lived in Italy and France the last 10 years just to give you an idea of my background. I thought the food was great (I wasn't expecting Michelan star fare though) and even my husband who is the worlds biggest food critic loved it too. The breakfast buffet isn't your American brunch but I didn't have trouble finding something to eat at all (donuts, croissants, fruits...) if you do want American stuff get room service. I did it one morning just to try and got a huge amount of French toast, pancakes and eggs Benedict for just 5 euro. The drink package is defintely worth it even if you don't drink tons of alcohol. I had no problems paying for a few bottles of water here and there for the room, but could easily get glasses of water free with my drink package from any bar or in the mdr. I didn't notice the "lack of personal space" or rude cultural differences everyone always mentions..but maybe after living here so long I don't notice it. Everyone stayed in the lines and were patient. The staff were awesome! Everyone always smiling and greeting you by name. That was impressive. I do wonder if I had a better time because I speak Italian and French though. I got to know a lot of people and staff because of that. But there were other English only speakers around and seemed to be having a great time too. We also had no problem asking the maitre d to change us to late dinner when we saw we were assigned to the early seating. He also happily changed us to an Italian speaking table (you can request anything language wise or just a table for 2). The gala night was fun and people dressed up in everything from gowns to just nice pants/ dress shirts or even just normal clothes. It was a great time. The only bummer was the club medusa. We paid to eat there one night with our table mates from the mdr and the food was just ok...I actually liked the menu in the mdr a lot more, so I don't recommended it. Everything else was fabulous and we booked our next cruise on the diadema the 3rd day in on this cruise lol. I say you need to try it for yourself..some of the reviews on here sound so crazy after I have actually been on the ship now. Someone said on here people must have hugh and unrealistic expectations to leave such extremely negative reviews. It was my first cruise but not my last with Costa!

Edited by Amelie1214

Yeah I was so bummed about club medusa. Our table mates had been there previously and said it was great! They were extremely disappointed this time and felt so bad we had to pay (they were pearl so it was no big loss for them). It was very quiet and pretty but the service was very slow (and I'm used to hours long meals) and the food was just awful looking. My husband's pesto had 2 cups of oil in it! I was sad we missed out on the flavors of Marche night downstairs lol. I think it was probably a fluke because everything else was fantastic on this cruise!

Love the CM a few months back. The Adriatic is so port intensive, that we say it was just this wonderful hotel following us around some the best scenery in Europe. The drink pkg was great an convenient. Our table mates were a riot. If I were to change one thing...ADD SOME MEAT to the breakfast buffet.

Costa%20Med_zpsffibsy6i.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I've never sailed on Costa, but here are two videos I made of the Costa Mediterranea, from the balcony of our cabin of MSC Preziosa. We were in Palermo and the Costa ship was just pulling in. Nice.

[YOUTUBE]qCZNzgd_9es[/YOUTUBE]

This was our sail away.

[YOUTUBE]1MmRU-OTCWw[/YOUTUBE]