Costa vs. MSC for Western Mediterranean (cross post)

Mickeddie

Hi there,

I am going to post this on both MSC and Costa boards because I don't know where a "middle ground" board would be.

We are considering a Western Mediterranean cruise in March and I see only Costa and MSC have itineraries there at that time of year. I don't see great reviews for either and I don't know much about either. The only thing I know about Costa is that is the one whose ship ran aground a few years back so I am naturally hesitant about that line.

Any thoughts on what is great or not-so-great about either MSC or Costa? We are taking my 13-yr old daughter with us.

Thank you!

Michelle

MSC, I have only done MSC Divina from Miami. The food service for sure, and possibly the entertainment, were changed for the Caribbean sailings.

The ship is the same size as the larger Costa ships. The Divina had the most uncomfortable lounge furniture I can recall seeing on a ship. The dance floors were tile, Costa's are wood.

The passenger mix I believe is similar. If you travel during European school vacation or kids-travel-free promotions, expect LOTS of kids. Off-season will be a much different experience. I've heard that the number of English-speaking teenagers can be limited, for the teen programs.

You don't say if you're from the USA. Will this be your first Europe trip?

I'll be doing Western Med on Costa Diadema end of November, I'll be posting a review of that ship.

I like both cruise lines so just cannot decide if one is better than the other. It depends on the ship sometimes. We get better deals with Costa so tend to book cruises with them. MSC offer better drinks on their all inclusive package and nice ice cream included too!

Caryl

I tend to favour Costa. I find MSC's shore side customer service to be despicable. Costa's is far from perfect but they do listen.

I do prefer MSC's décor but Costa's cabins are bigger.

MSC shade it on entertainment and a big plus for them is that their buffet is open in the evening allowing a more flexible dining option.

I don't like Costa's policy on no tea / coffee outside breakfast and afternoon tea time.

Both have the dreadful - not jugs of water at dinner policy.

Costa do have better rates if travelling with kids!

Hi there,

I am going to post this on both MSC and Costa boards because I don't know where a "middle ground" board would be.

We are considering a Western Mediterranean cruise in March and I see only Costa and MSC have itineraries there at that time of year. I don't see great reviews for either and I don't know much about either. The only thing I know about Costa is that is the one whose ship ran aground a few years back so I am naturally hesitant about that line.

Any thoughts on what is great or not-so-great about either MSC or Costa? We are taking my 13-yr old daughter with us.

Thank you!

Michelle

An alternative in March in West Med is Norwegian Epic 12 ds/859E.

• 3 weeks later...

We've done both. Prefer Costa.

But thats because the MSC ships were bigger and less friendly. Costa ships at present, are smaller, and as someone said above, prices are generally a bit better for us here in Europe. Basically they are the same product.

The only 2 things better on MSC.....Entertainment. But by the time I get to the lounge, im quite well fed and mellow so Costa are fine. The other thing is MSC have Ice Cream on the all inclusive package!