NCL Discretionary charge! when does NCL say NO?

spanishguy1970

Recently i read a thread where someone can remove those charges as many times as they want to just because they are not mandatory which makes me wonder two things;

1) how long until NCL catches on and decides to not grant these people their petition because of the amount of times they ask for it.

2) i wonder if NCL bans them from their fleet completely if it gets out of hand :eek:

I used to work in retail many many years ago in a particular high end store. I remember 2 people that always returned merchandise and ask for refunds until the store manager decided not to grant them their refunds and in particular case banned him from the store entirely.

So I am wondering if NCL pays attention to these things! no flaming please just curious :D

Edited by qtaromar1970

I also have read a thread AND some posts in another thread ... and agree with you.

3) NCL might blacklist these people during their next cruise (which is coming up in 2 days) and their room steward will see it on his list

I wonder what reason(s) they put down on the forms for wanting their DSC refunded.

Edited by bluesea777

I suppose NCL can always learn from that other mass-market cruiseline COSTA Cruises whose service charges/tips/gratuity are MANDATORY even in the US market.

As long as NCL's official policy is that these charges are DISCRETIONARY, well......you get the drift, OP. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

maybe not! but is it fun being NCL threads constant flamer?:D satisfy that curiosity :confused:

Flamer?

I think not.

"flame" - probably one of the most misunderstood and over-used terms in modern internet lexicon. Disagree != flame... troll != flame...

Speaking of troll... it's pretty clear that's what you've done here... amiright?

Charters have MANDATORY service charges with NCL or at least the charter I've done with them have always had it MANDATORY and the upcoming charter is again MANDATORY as it's on NCL. Sometimes NCL does make it mandatory... just not on their regular cruises I guess. :cool:

Similar to a restaurant imposing a mandatory tip on parties of x number or more.

Until they do make it mandatory, they cannot say "no". You will always have the people that prefer to tip in cash. That won't change.

Maybe they can't say no, but they can all of a sudden a sailing can be fully booked, or NCL simply tell the passenger that they are not allowed on NCL

Maybe they can't say no, but they can all of a sudden a sailing can be fully booked, or NCL simply tell the passenger that they are not allowed on NCL

I'm pretty sure they would need to fill more cabins before that happens! It's beyond absurd to even insinuate that NCL would tell someone they can't sail anymore for removing a service charge that they allow the passengers to remove :rolleyes:

Hilton hotels have a 100% satisfaction guarantee. Not happy with your stay? Here's your refund. No questions asked. However, if one person makes too many of these requests, they receive a letter saying Hilton is probably not the chain for them since they've been so unhappy.

I hope NCL does something similar.

Sent from my SM-S820L using Forums mobile app

Twice we have had the charges removed, because the dining and buffet service was horrible. We then paid the room stewards in cash. We made multiple complaints daily in the box and to the managers about the service and cold food. No improvements, all the food on the buffet was cold and you could go an entire meal without any water refills. The staff was wandering around carrying a pile of napkins or tablecloths. Many people on the cruise were doing the same thing. I am not demanding, but I do think, I should have my water refilled after asking multiple times and the food on the buffet to be at the correct temps.

Hilton hotels have a 100% satisfaction guarantee. Not happy with your stay? Here's your refund. No questions asked. However, if one person makes too many of these requests, they receive a letter saying Hilton is probably not the chain for them since they've been so unhappy.

I bet you are speaking from frist-hand experience...Hilton sent you that letter? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Really?

So just because I dont want to tip the dishwasher and the guest services staff and the knob polisher and whomever else ....via the dsc....and remove it and give the steward and wait staff generous tips for their exceptional personalized service...

Ncl no longer wants me as a pax?

Interesting way to run a business

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by Crusin6

Ugh, I need serious restraint from posting what I really think here - it will only get nuked anyway. :rolleyes:

I am with ya.

Anyone who says they do not want to pay rhe portion of the service charge for the dishwasher should bring their own paper plates IMHO.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The DSC doesn't tip anyone.

Most or all of it ends up in NCL's pocket.

They pay these workers less than minimum wage, and then use the DSC to pay the difference.

It is also my strong belief that removing it doesn't affect staff pay.

So which is it? Does the DSC end up in NCL's pocket or does NCL pay the DSC to the employees to pay the difference? I personally think it is paid to the employees and not put in their pocket. If it wasn't then I would think you would see a lot more upset employees. I leave the DSC on and forget about it. It is a convenience to me over the old days of passing out envelopes.

I am with ya.

Anyone who says they do not want to pay rhe portion of the service charge for the dishwasher should bring their own paper plates IMHO.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Are you in the habit of walking into the kitchen and tipping the dishwasher in local restaurants?

When you pick up your dry cleaning do you just pay the bill? Or do you pay it and add 20% tip to it?

When I cruise going forward...I am removing dsc and tipping waiters and stewards for their helpful efficient personal service

My cruise fare covers the dishwashers the laundry staff the guest services staff and the knob polishers

Oh and I've stopped tipping my sanitation workers at home too at Christmas

Why? Because they have gone from 4 men on the truck who would come into your yard and drag your garbage out and dump it and then bring the empty can back...to....

To one guy on a truck that presses a button that brings a huge metal arm down to Grab your can and dump it into the truck...which I have brought out to the street along with a similar recyclable can for the arm to grab...which I then drag back

I'm not complaining but I'm also not tipping a driver who presses a button.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by Crusin6