Reassigning Specialty Dining Package

beachbell

My family and I (me, DH, DD-15, DS-14, DS-7) are booked to sail on the Escape in April. We are booked in a H-4 2-bedroom family suite. The package we booked comes with the UBP and the 3 SDP for the first 2 passengers (my DH and I). We plan on purchasing the soda package for all 3 kids. My question is, I want to purchase a 5 SDP package for hubby and I. Can I transfer the included 3 SDP to my older 2 kids? I doubt the older 2 will want to eat at more than 3 or 4 seat down dinners with us, as I'm sure they will go to the buffet with new friends.

The 3SDP cannot be transferred. You can buy a smaller additional package for you and husband then pay à la carte for the rare occasional dinner with the kids.

Decide with your kids to see how many times they want to eat in the specialty restaurants with the parents. If they aren't interested, don't get the package for them. If they are likely to eat in the specialty restaurants, get a package for them.

I find the responses interesting. I agree with others that asking to transfer the promo SDP packages to the kids will likely result in a no answer.

Perhaps if the question was worded differently,perhaps it could be possible.

What if the OP wished to increase their promo SDP from 3 meals to 5? Would this be doable? I cannot see NCL turning their nose up at a guest wishing to spend more money.

If it were possible,,,then they would upgrade the two adults SDP from 3 to 5 and then purchase 3 meal SDP's for the kids.

Personally I think the OP's best chance at success with this would be on board. I find they are much more accommodating to requests once on the ship. What happens on the ship is often very different than what a guest will be told if they call and ask the land based offices.

Good luck and please let us know if you are able to manage this.

Rochelle

I did call Norwegian and asked about upgrading from a 3 SDP to a 5 and they said they can't do that :mad.

3 meals is the smallest SDP. There isn't a 2 meal plan that could be added on to make a total of 5 meals.

You could buy a 3 meal package to add on, making a total of 6 meals.

Edited by NMLady

What if the OP wished to increase their promo SDP from 3 meals to 5? Would this be doable? I cannot see NCL turning their nose up at a guest wishing to spend more money.

The OP can add more meals but the smallest package to buy is 3 meals.

If it were possible,,,then they would upgrade the two adults SDP from 3 to 5 and then purchase 3 meal SDP's for the kids.

It would be 3 to 6 for the parents then add 3 for the kids...if that is a better option than not buying a plan for the kids and going à la carte for the kids.

Personally I think the OP's best chance at success with this would be on board. I find they are much more accommodating to requests once on the ship. What happens on the ship is often very different than what a guest will be told if they call and ask the land based offices.
If the parents want more than the 3 that they have, it will cost them something. Buying on-board cost $10 more than buying in advance. If they want the kids to join, it will cost something since the parents can't transfer what they currently have.

It all comes down to how many SDP credits are wanted/needed and by whom.

The OP can add more meals but the smallest package to buy is 3 meals.

It would be 3 to 6 for the parents then add 3 for the kids...if that is a better option than not buying a plan for the kids and going à la carte for the kids.

If the parents want more than the 3 that they have, it will cost them something. Buying on-board cost $10 more than buying in advance. If they want the kids to join, it will cost something since the parents can't transfer what they currently have.

It all comes down to how many SDP credits are wanted/needed and by whom.

I do believe you are correct. I was just reading about something similar in another thread and the consensus seems to be that adding additional meals to a promo SDP is nor possible.

I think NCL is losing out on a potential revenue source here. Take the kids out of the equation and just think of a couple who happen to be Platinum. If they choose the SDP as a booking promo and then receive the two dinners for their Platinum perk there is no option for them to choose to eat in a Specialty restaurant every night of their cruise without going a la carte or purchasing a package for 3 nights of which they would only use two.

One would think NCL would want to encourage people to pay extra to dine every night. I think the vast majority of couples in my example would just then stick with the 5 nights and visit complimentary venues for the other two.

Perhaps NCL should re think their policy about upgrading promo SDP's.

Rochelle

You can easily break even on a 3-meal SDP after just two meals. Go to Cagney's or Le Bistro twice and order more than $42 worth of food each time. And you don't have to lose the 3rd meal. You can use more than one SDP meal per day.

I don't expect NCL to rethink their policy anytime soon. The vast majority of people are not going to pay for anything beyond their freebies anyway.

I do believe you are correct. I was just reading about something similar in another thread and the consensus seems to be that adding additional meals to a promo SDP is nor possible.

I think NCL is losing out on a potential revenue source here. Take the kids out of the equation and just think of a couple who happen to be Platinum. If they choose the SDP as a booking promo and then receive the two dinners for their Platinum perk there is no option for them to choose to eat in a Specialty restaurant every night of their cruise without going a la carte or purchasing a package for 3 nights of which they would only use two.

One would think NCL would want to encourage people to pay extra to dine every night. I think the vast majority of couples in my example would just then stick with the 5 nights and visit complimentary venues for the other two.

Perhaps NCL should re think their policy about upgrading promo SDP's.

Rochelle

I know they will allow this on board for the wifi, get 100 minutes free and the cost is put towards the upgrade to unlimited or the 250 minute package.

I would think it would be worth the trip to guest services to see if they would put the value of the 3SDP towards the cost of a 5SDP.

I don't think it can be done shoreside though

It's true that they don't usually ask for everyone's card, so they don't know who's actually sitting at the table. I assume that when they swipe the one card, they get access to that person's dining account, and the accounts of everyone else in their cabin. But you're right, who knows what they actually do with this info. Maybe they pool everyone in the room's credits together and anyone in the room can use them. I kind of doubt it, though.

When it comes to SDP, does it really matter who it belongs to in the cabin? I understand it's non-transferable, but since they only ask for one room key, do they really check who has it?

This! There have been reports of the wait staff being very generous when it comes to splitting the bill between SDP and non-SDP guests under the a la carte pricing - putting all the apps and desserts on the SDP persons card and just charging non-SDP for entrees. This would be even simpler with a family that would probably all be on the same onboard account.

This! There have been reports of the wait staff being very generous when it comes to splitting the bill between SDP and non-SDP guests under the a la carte pricing - putting all the apps and desserts on the SDP persons card and just charging non-SDP for entrees. This would be even simpler with a family that would probably all be on the same onboard account.

This exactly. Put the apps and desserts on your cards and you and the kids order the entrees they want. And then just use the most expensive meals for the SDP and pay for the other 2 you want.

When it comes to SDP, does it really matter who it belongs to in the cabin? I understand it's non-transferable, but since theyy only ask for one room key, do they really check who has it?

Sorry, I cannot accept this. That is no different than using your UBP to buy drinks for other non-UBP passengers in your cabin.

Edited by Até

Sorry, I cannot accept this. That is no different than using your UBP to buy drinks for other non-UBP passengers in your cabin.

Of course it's different. UBP is unlimited. We are talking about a limited number of meals pre-purchased. Why should it matter who in the cabin uses it?

Of course it's different. UBP is unlimited. We are talking about a limited number of meals pre-purchased. Why should it matter who in the cabin uses it?

Because the terms and conditions state it is non-transferable. You agree to that.

That is no different than using your UBP to buy drinks for other non-UBP passengers in your cabin.
It is different, as beachbell said, because the UBP is unlimited (i.e. if several people somehow share one UBP, the total amount of alcohol consumed increases), whereas the SDP is for a pre-determined number of meals, which stays the same whether the same person eats all the meals or if it's a different person for each meal.

I don't think anybody is contesting the fact that the SDP is non-transferable according to the terms and conditions. In fact that has been stated several times in this thread already. TheDougOut was only pointing out (correctly) that they don't enforce this very strictly.

Put the apps and desserts on your cards and you and the kids order the entrees they want.
This suggestion, on the other hand, is no different from sharing the UBP, because each individual meal under the SDP is unlimited. So it cannot be shared with others. An SDP holder orders food for him/herself, not for others at the table so that they can avoid paying for their own food.

I know that in the past the waitstaff have gone along with this scheme, or even suggested it themselves. I don't know if they still do that.

Edited by hawkeyetlse

I don't think anybody is contesting the fact that the SDP is non-transferable according to the terms and conditions. In fact that has been stated several times in this thread already. TheDougOut was only pointing out (correctly) that they don't enforce this very strictly.

This suggestion, on the other hand, is no different from sharing the UBP, because each individual meal under the SDP is unlimited. So it cannot be shared with others. An SDP holder orders food for him/herself, not for others at the table so that they can avoid paying for their own food.

I know that in the past the waitstaff have gone along with this scheme, or even suggested it themselves. I don't know if they still do that.

Each SDP meal is not unlimited? I'll assume that is a typo. I am guilty of sharing my UBP with other non-UBP passengers based on the unlimited/limited hypothesis, and I am sure the staff were aware of this and were complicit. I freely admit my human nature overrode my moral knowledge that it was against what I had agreed to. That still does not make it okay. I see the point and the occasion may present itself that I might be tempted to share my SDP. But SDP sharing is no different. Irregardless, I will continue to value your posts as overall very morally correct.

I view it differently. Parents who have 3SDP want to PURCHASE additional SDP in order to dine with their children. Your UBP comparison is someone avoiding purchase in order to get something for nothing.

Any possibility of getting your 3SDP switched to the free DSC? This way you could then purchase the 5SDP that you want and use the money that would have gone for the DSC towards it.
The OP's family is booked in a suite, so they get all the perks. Depending on when they booked, this would include the free gratuities. But they would get the 3SDP on top of that, so the issue would remain.
Each SDP meal is not unlimited? I'll assume that is a typo.
It's not a typo: The number of meals is limited, but at each meal, the number of apps, sides, and desserts is unlimited. So there are two different types of "sharing". One is you don't go to the restaurant and someone else uses one of your SDP meals in your place. The other is you go to the restaurant and have your meal covered by the SDP, and in addition to that, you order extra food for other people at the table so that parts of their meal are covered by your SDP, too.

Each SDP meal is not unlimited? I'll assume that is a typo. ... .

Not a typo. Although only one entree is included, the appetizers, sides, and desserts ARE unlimited. Diner can order as many as desired. But the understanding is they are for the diner with the SDP not transferred to someone else.