Outerwear - Europe in November

Roz

Taking my first river this coming November - Budapest to Passau on Uniworld. Have been to Europe once before, but it was in the summer. My understanding is that November tends to be cool/cold and rainy. I was thinking of buying an all weather coat/jacket with a button or zip out liner. Mid thigh length to cut down on bulk and weight in suitcase.

Thought? Suggestions? Am I on the right track?

Roz

I remember my first visit to Amsterdam and Paris was in November, and it was cold. But I think it varies from year to year, and place to place.

I'll be in Paris again this mid-October. I'm taking my leather jacket (hip length), and an umbrella. No lining, but I'll have a sweater or two.

Taking my first river this coming November - Budapest to Passau on Uniworld. Have been to Europe once before, but it was in the summer. My understanding is that November tends to be cool/cold and rainy. I was thinking of buying an all weather coat/jacket with a button or zip out liner. Mid thigh length to cut down on bulk and weight in suitcase.

Thought? Suggestions? Am I on the right track?

Roz

We are in Europe late November very often as it is our anniversary and that is our favorite place to be.

An all weather coat with zip out lining is a practical choice. I am a fan of packable down and will be bringing my thigh length Tumi Tek packable down quilted jacket this year for our November Rhine cruise. DH has the men's T-Tech thigh length jacket and loves it.

I would also pack a lighter jacket (I take a Columbia Omnishield waterproof lined zip jacket) as we have experienced some weather that was almost balmy.

http://www.columbia.com/womens-kruser-ridge--softshell-jacket-1558161.html?cgid=women-jacketsVests&dwvar_1558161_variationColor=010#start=12

Always bring layers so you can add and subtract as needed. I would throw in small umbrella, gloves and a scarf just in case. Waterproof boots are my choice of footwear, with an alternate pair of walking shoes (also waterproof).

I don't pack sweaters except for a silk ribbed turtleneck that I wear some evenings for dinner. Too bulky and I prefer thinner layers. I do wear a sweatshirt on the plane that comes in handy on deck as well.

Edited by caviargal

Having done a similar cruise before, on Viking, about two years ago at the same time of year, it sounds like you're on the right track, though it wouldn't hurt to pack for a little bit cooler than what you are normally comfortable with. I personally went with two jackets - a lighter all-weather jacket that was comfortable enough during the day and a heavier overcoat for the evenings. That said, two years back things had gotten cold enough by Thanksgiving-time that I wore the overcoat almost exclusively for the first half of the trip. It was only really on the second half, that weather had gotten temperate enough to make the lighter jacket a practical move for me. The overcoat went on again after the cruise when I did the post-cruise extension in Prague.

It can really drops at night, and it might not be a bad move to pack a heavier piece (a proper winter jacket or overcoat of some sort) if you plan on doing anything on your own, either pre- or post-cruise late into the evenings, or spending extra time after dark ashore instead of staying aboard.

This comes from both personal experience (Danube 2013, Main 2014), as well as anecdotes from close friends that live in the region.

The last time I was in Europe in November, I brought my pea coat. Lesson learned on that - it's heavy and it soaks up the rain. :o

This November, I plan to bring my lightweight rain coat. I've found that rain is the one thing I'll be dealing with most. If I need more warmth, I'll wear a sweater or a turtleneck under a blouse. I also plan to bring mittens, a scarf or two, a great umbrella from Magellan's and a lightweight jacket similar to the link above that caviargirl provided. I've learned the hard way that layers work best. ;)

Be prepared for rain, wear fleece or wool underneath a rain jacket/coat, bring a scarf and, just in case, gloves.

That's the ticket. With a water proof brimmed hat. Just as important is to have two long sleeve layers to wear under the rainwear and fleece.

Edited by CPT Trips

Packable down, knee length, It's water resistant, warm and makes a great pillow on the plane. Also gloves, scarf and a water resistant brimmed hat (I hate hoods). Couple that with layers that are not bulky and I'm all set.

Forgot to add-- if you are visiting the Christmas Markets in Nov and Dec a waterproof hat and coat work much better than an umbrella in the crowded market areas.

Thanks for the words of wisdom and ideas. Don't own wool clothes anymore (not practical in Nashville) but can do the layering thing, having cruised in Alaska. Won't be visiting any Christmas markets. Land's End and Eddie Bauer are my friends. :D

Roz

We are big fans of layering fleece for warmth under waterproof outer layers for flexibility. We had snow in Vienna on Easter and subfreezing weather in Salzburg, but later in the same trip it was 80F in Prague. So layers are key in spring or fall.

We have found that windproof fleece vests and jackets, layered under a long waterproof outer jacket, are a good alternative to down which is also nice but can be pricey. Windproof fleece gloves and a warm scarf made a big difference in comfort when it was windy. I don't like the hat hair resulting from waterproof hats, so I go with a jacket with generous hood that's comfortable and has an extended front brim to keep water out of my eyes.

Most of this gear came from the outdoor gear store REI. Be sure whatever outwear you bring has taped seams or is otherwise water PROOF, not water 'resistant.' There is a meaningful difference. Have a wonderful trip!

Wow! Looks like I'm going to have to buy a lot of stuff I'm not going to wear again, or wear much at all. Isn't waterproof stuff hot? How does everyone pack all this fleece, down, quilted stuff? Doesn't it take up a lot of space? Is the weather really that bad? Now you're scaring me!

Roz

Wow! Looks like I'm going to have to buy a lot of stuff I'm not going to wear again, or wear much at all. Isn't waterproof stuff hot? How does everyone pack all this fleece, down, quilted stuff? Doesn't it take up a lot of space? Is the weather really that bad? Now you're scaring me!

Roz

No, no, don't worry at all. Your original idea of an all weather coat with a zip out liner would still be fine, if that's what works best for you. The benefit of the layering approach is you can wear the fleece or down jacket on its own if it isn't rainy, where liners of coats are not usually styled to be worn alone. In both cases you could wear the waterproof outer jacket alone if it wasn't cold but was wet.

Fleece is not overly expensive and weighs nothing - almost literally - and is very squishable and easy to pack, just like down. Both make good pillows on airplane or train rides.

You could have glorious fall weather or it could be cool and rainy, or most likely will be a combination. Budapest is a similar latitude to southern Canada, after all. Just think about what you would wear if you were outside walking around in Nashville in December or January, and plan accordingly. You'll have a blast!

My down thigh length jacket packs in a pouch I could easily fit in my day pack or a ziploc bag, and weighs nothing.

I don't pack fleece; for me, it is too bulky and too hot. I am a fan of Under Armour and Nike Dri Fit (or any quality athletic brand) layering pieces. They are moisture wicking, light weight and easy to layer. You can find them at TJ Maxx, etc. for very reasonable prices. They can be worn on their own or under other pieces.

I wear those same pieces for my outdoor workouts in winter here in central FL.

Ebay is another great source to buy a few of these items at very low prices.

Edited by caviargal

Pretty much all our waterproof stuff is goretex. Waterproof AND it breathes. Never hot, except when it's hot outside and you're wearing more layers than you want. But far from the rubber raincoat you might be imagining.

It was warmer than we thought for our Dec trip (2014). But my MIL was too cold (despite a year of us telling her what she needed to pack:rolleyes:) Merino t-shirts worked great for us, among other layers.\

I find down too hot and though I have an easily packable jacket, I don't normally travel with it unless the forecast is really really cold. And each of us has to gauge what that actual temp is based on individual thermometers.

Edited by Hoyaheel

Pretty much all our waterproof stuff is goretex. Waterproof AND it breathes. Never hot, except when it's hot outside and you're wearing more layers than you want. But far from the rubber raincoat you might be imagining.

It was warmer than we thought for our Dec trip (2014). But my MIL was too cold (despite a year of us telling her what she needed to pack:rolleyes:) Merino t-shirts worked great for us, among other layers.\

I find down too hot and though I have an easily packable jacket, I don't normally travel with it unless the forecast is really really cold. And each of us has to gauge what that actual temp is based on individual thermometers.

November and December on the Danube, Elbe, Main and Rhine is very changeable. Also, it can be warm at one end of the river and freezing at the other. We have been on all of these rivers in late Nov and early Dec. last year it was warmish, 2013 was cold with some snow, 2010 had extremely cold temps and unbelievable snow. All during the lady week of Nov and first week of Dec. Each year is different- it's the weather- it changes- pack a little bit for all types of weather. Just remember that with all of the walking tours you will likely be outdoors a lot, and tours don't stop for warming up or getting dry generally until the end of the proposed program. Complaining walkers are annoying, so plan to dress to keep yourself warm, dry and comfortable, that includes shoes and boots also, please break them in before leaving home.

+1 on the comment about keeping your feet warm. I wished I had taken waterproof shoes or boots along, but I do not have any which are also comfortable for a full day of walking. I ended up with damp feet on occasion but with thicker socks at least they were not overly cold.

If you don't have comfortable waterproof shoes, it's helpful to have at least two pairs of good walking shoes. That way if your trip gets rainy you can leave one pair in your cabin to dry out while you wear the others.

The person in our group who had brought polypropylene long underwear (very thin and warm) was the envy of all when it got really cold. Hopefully in November it won't be overly chilly, unlike the Christmastime cruises when it can be seriously cold.

We did the Christmas markets on the Rhine the day after Thanksgiving 2011. There was never snow although I brought short warm boots & wool socks that I wore Dansko clogs. I wore a 3/4 wool coat that I wore on the plane with a scarf & I had gloves. I was perfectly comfortable at the markets & warmed up with gluwein(sp) & hot chocolate. I brought so many things I didn't wear that this year when we do the Danube December 4-16 I'm scaling back. I have purchased a packable waterproof down coat that goes past my hips on clearance. Costco had some lightweight packable down vests that fit in a tiny pouch that would work with long sleeved turtlenecks and your long coat. What you wear out and about will be covered with your coat so its not going to get dirty and you probably won't sweat so you can wear one outfit more than once. I took clothes to change into for dinner then wore the next day to travel but 1/2 way through since I hadn't taken my coat off all day I just dressed up what I wore with a scarf or jewelry.

1) I find that warmth base layers (uniqlo heattech, silk, cuddl duds, merino wool etc) are much easier to pack and layer with than heavy coats.

2) You can always use a waterproof spray on shoes/boots if you don't have (or want to buy) goretex shoes or boots. I had a pair of Keen nubuck ankle boots that traveled all over with me because they were SOOOOOO comfortable. I used a silicone waterproof spray on them (re-spray once a year) and that did great. I do have goretex walking shoes and another pair of knee high waterproof & insulated Keen boots I can travel with - but if I wanted to bring shoes with me that weren't, I'd just spray.

Boy do I miss those ankle boots:o

Roz,

just before you go, check the long range weather forecast online for the start point and end point of your trip. That should give you an idea of what to expect, and what your comfort level is. Not everyone needs long underwear :D

And if you have a hooded waterproof coat with zip in lining you will probably have an interior set of pockets to 'hide' your cash and room key. Leave your purse and umbrella in your cabin and feel the freedom of having your hand free! Don't forget to stash your gloves in the outer coat pockets...in case you need them.

Finally, if you are concerned about the bulk of your extra layers in your suitcase, use the large zip type storage bags. Put a folded sweater or two in a bag, sit on the bag while zipping it shut and you've eliminated all that bulky air.

Have a great trip.

Finally, if you are concerned about the bulk of your extra layers in your suitcase, use the large zip type storage bags. Put a folded sweater or two in a bag, sit on the bag while zipping it shut and you've eliminated all that bulky air.

Have a great trip.

Or use a Space bag, available at stores like Walmart. DH brings more clothes than I do and uses these for sweaters and down.

I would buy as little as possible. Try to be as simple as possible, and do think about layering. Surely you have a sweater or two.

What part of November are you going? Quite a difference between early November and late I would think.