rental car to Cinque Terre

aamechs2

Our family of 4 will be in Livorno on July 6, since we have been to Florence and Pisa twice before (and since it's a Monday, the museums are closed which is the only reason I might go back to Florence) . I would really really like to go to Cinque Terre. My DH is fine with driving and it looks like a pretty straight forward route. Has anyone done it? We will have 12 hours (well technically 11 1/2) to get it done. Is that enough time? I know that's not wander around and have meals time but enough to get a little bit of the beauty.

Yes, we have driven to Riomaggiore several times. From Livorno this means getting from the port onto the AutoRoute (A12/E80) until you near La Spezia from where you must deal with the rural 2 lane roads. A GPS sure helps avoid the stress of reading maps and signs, but it is not difficult. Once at Riomaggiore the big decision is whether to look for free parking along the road (this can have you a long way from town) or to just drive into town and follow the blue "P" sign to the paid parking area.

As to rental cars, we usually suggest contacting the local Hertz franchise which can be found at sifracar.com. They actually have a place on their web page to click for cruise port rentals. They do cost a little more, but will usually deliver a car to the pier (where you can also drop). Keep in mind that getting a car right at the ship can save you about 50 Euros in taxi fares getting to and from rental car offices in town.

Hank