Need advice on the difficulty of cique terre

norwegianwood57

We are doing the Celebrity Cinque Terre Tour. How difficult/strenuous is this tour really? The tour description almost infers that you are risking your life and limb. Climbing insurmountable walls, vines, hundreds of slippery steps at a time.

If someone has done this tour, could you please let me know if all these descriptions are realistic and if they are, why would celebrity risk passengers being hurt. Are some more difficult areas optional while on tour? Has anyone done this tour and was not able to keep up or had difficulty completing any part of the walk or climb.

It really has me worried that this tour needs to be for those who are supper risk taking athletes.

It does say it is strenuous. Are there seniors on this tour? Or is a certain age and fitness level imperative?

Thank you for advice.

We are doing the Celebrity Cinque Terre Tour. How difficult/strenuous is this tour really? The tour description almost infers that you are risking your life and limb. Climbing insurmountable walls, vines, hundreds of slippery steps at a time.

If someone has done this tour, could you please let me know if all these descriptions are realistic and if they are, why would celebrity risk passengers being hurt. Are some more difficult areas optional while on tour? Has anyone done this tour and was not able to keep up or had difficulty completing any part of the walk or climb.

It really has me worried that this tour needs to be for those who are supper risk taking athletes.

It does say it is strenuous. Are there seniors on this tour? Or is a certain age and fitness level imperative?

Thank you for advice.

I wanted to do Cinque Terre but unfortunately I'm traveling with two people who are older (60 & 67, my parents) and do have slight back issues. I talked it over with the guides I use (and trust) in Italy and they advised it's not something for those individuals. So, I made the decision not to do it.

Ok, here are some thoughts. DW and I are well up in our 60s and always laugh at the "older" label since we routinely will walk for miles a day when traveling while many "young folks" cannot walk a block without being out of breath.

As to Cinque Terre, you do not need to be an athlete (unless you plan on hiking some of the longer trains between villages) but you must be mobile. Parts of the villages are hilly and involve walking up and down over some uneven steps. But if you can walk around the block you should be fine.

Hank

The only reason I could see Celebrity rating this one as "strenuous" is for the boat travel. You are only risking "life and limb" if you get out on the actual hiking trails in CT, which this excursion does not do. Sure, there are uphills you walk in a few of the towns, but no more than if you were to do some walking tours of San Francisco (IMHO).

The only part that would be a walk is the paved trail between Riomaggiore and Manarola. But, it is not yet re-opened from reconstruction from those horrible landslides a few years ago. I've seen pages where it says is could be open this summer and pages where it says it will not be open again in 2015, but I haven't hear anything definite yet. This path is about 1/2 mile long and is flat, and paved. There are benches along the path to stop and rest, and there is actually a little restaurant/bar along the path. There are some stairs at one of the ends (I can't remember which), but there is also an elevator one can take to avoid the steps. When I did this path as part of my hike of the entire Blue Route (Riomaggiore to Monterosso), I saw families, elderly, fit hikers, all on this part of the trail. I think that the problem would be if you could not keep up with the excursion herd - I don't know how they set the pace.

Our travel group includes some who are in their late 60s and while pretty healthy, at that age, some do have issues with knees, very hilly climbing etc. I spoke to our tour guide (one who is off the ship) that we have used in the past and she assured me that she could customize the tour to include trains/ferries etc so that we could still enjoy most of the beauty of the area. We have booked it for next summer and are confident that we will enjoy our excursion and not risk life or limb to do so!

Slidergirl raises a great issue about "keeping up with the tour." DW and I seldom take cruise line excursions (or any other tour) since we prefer to do things at our own pace without being stuck in a large (or even small) group. We have, too often, witnessed problems with tour groups that have folks who either hold-up the entire group or who must stop (and later meet the tour). We have also seen some frustrated folks just stay on a tour bus because they cannot handle the pace.

The only way to set your own pace is to either just go on your own or with a very small private tour. Cinque Terre is actually quite easy to DIY (Do it yourself). You must first get yourself from the port to Riomaggiore (there are a few options) from where you just do what works. If you want to go to some of the other villages you can take the train (easier getting on and off then small boats) or a small ferry. When you get tired walking you just sit at a cafe and relax with some Cappucino or tea.

Hank

Thank you. Seems like there is no reason not to do a ships tour. I am sure they will custom it for all the passengers.

No they will NOT customize it . That's the point Slidergirl is making .... an excursion can only go as fast as the slowest member of the group.

Consider DIY. My favorite view of CT was from the ferry. I thought it was far superior to the hikes. Seeing the villages from the sea was magical....

No they will NOT customize it . That's the point Slidergirl is making .... an excursion can only go as fast as the slowest member of the group.

Consider DIY. My favorite view of CT was from the ferry. I thought it was far superior to the hikes. Seeing the villages from the sea was magical....

Totally agree with all of this. This is a view from the ferry - in the rain :mad: but I still loved the day ! All the best, Tony

[YOUTUBE]MPZfm28F_lc[/YOUTUBE]

Thank you. Seems like there is no reason not to do a ships tour. I am sure they will custom it for all the passengers.

We assume you mean customize. Cruise line excursions are large groups (often 50+) with a single guide and usually a ship's crew member to watch fro stragglers. Tours have an itinerary and folks need to keep up with the group. Even private tours with a group can have this kind of issue where most on a group (even a small group) may not want to slow down because of one slow group member. If you want a true customized tour you need to hire your own private driver/guide which then allows you to set the pace and itinerary.

This is why some travelers (such as moi) do not like groups or tours. Being on your own gives you total freedom to make your own decisions without regard to anyone else. But the downside is that being on your own means you must do your own pre trip "homework," organize your own itinerary, transportation, etc.

Hank

We assume you mean customize. Cruise line excursions are large groups (often 50+) with a single guide and usually a ship's crew member to watch fro stragglers. Tours have an itinerary and folks need to keep up with the group. Even private tours with a group can have this kind of issue where most on a group (even a small group) may not want to slow down because of one slow group member. If you want a true customized tour you need to hire your own private driver/guide which then allows you to set the pace and itinerary.

This is why some travelers (such as moi) do not like groups or tours. Being on your own gives you total freedom to make your own decisions without regard to anyone else. But the downside is that being on your own means you must do your own pre trip "homework," organize your own itinerary, transportation, etc.

Hank

Hank hit this square between the eyes. Plus, I think doing CT in a ships excursion with 40-50 people in your herd would be miserable. CT is small walkways and "streets." An excursion group will clog up a walkway for yards and yards in any of the CT villages. No time to duck into that cute shop you see - you must keep up with the group.

I also don't do any excursions or tours (unless it is required for a particular place). A ship excursion doesn't customize - a guest is expected to be able to keep up. The private excursions would be OK IF it is only your travel companions and not something cobbled together in a Roll Call - again, I see the issue with someone not being able to keep up with others and them becoming frustrated at the stragglers.

I saw quite a few group tours in Rome and Florence when I was there a few days ago. All those people with the receivers on lanyards and ear pieces (had to use them because they would never be able to hear their guide from the back of the pack), following the guide who was holding the flag in the air - just didn't look like fun. They were basically just looking at the head ahead of them (to be sure they didn't run into them), and not really having a chance to see their surroundings.

I am not explaining myself very well.

We are travelling with friends who feel this tour will be too strenuous for them. The reason for the cruise ship tour in the first place is to be guaranteed return to ship. Of course the ships tour will not customize to each individual, but I am also hoping they will not leave anyone behind and opt for the easier paths rather than those that some may have difficulty doing.

Our only hesitation in not doing this with a private group is the worry of making it back to ship. We were on Celeb last time the buses were several hours late making it back from CT. It was raining and it was just very difficult to get back.

I am asking if anyone that has done a ships tour, found it very difficult and strenuous.

We are travelling with friends who feel this tour will be too strenuous for them. The reason for the cruise ship tour in the first place is to be guaranteed return to ship. Of course the ships tour will not customize to each individual, but I am also hoping they will not leave anyone behind and opt for the easier paths rather than those that some may have difficulty doing.

Our only hesitation in not doing this with a private group is the worry of making it back to ship. We were on Celeb last time the buses were several hours late making it back from CT. It was raining and it was just very difficult to get back.

I am asking if anyone that has done a ships tour, found it very difficult and strenuous.

Traveling with "friends" can in itself be quite strenuous. We actually witnessed a tablemate (on a recent cruise) break down in tears at dinner as she described the frustration of trying to deal with friends (who refused to dine in the MDR) at the various ports. So, if you want to take an excursion and your friends do not think its wise for them...go your separate ways that day and agree to meet over cocktails that evening. You can then all chat about your day.

Hank

I looked at the description for this tour. The only "trail/path" listed to take was the one between Riomaggiore and Manarolo. That is the one that is the .5 mile paved, largely very flat path. It is also the one still closed and that the tour description says would be substituted with a "tasting" (doesn't say of what) in Monterosso al Mare. So, the 2 hours of walking listed is cut by at least 30 minutes. In the villages, you will be on cobblestone walkways and streets. In Vernazza, you do have to walk stairs if you want to go up to the Fort. Yes, there are some uphills, they are uphills on streets, not a trail. If it is rainy, then, yes, it can be a little slippery on the cobbles. The rest of the travel between the villages would be via small ferry boats or trains.

Honesty, it sounds like you really don't want to take your friends on this one. If they are slow walkers, they probably aren't good candidates for any kind of tour where they will have to keep up - there are no alternate streets to use in the villages for people who can't keep up. Those ferries and trains run on a schedule and they will not wait for stragglers on any ship's tours.

I saw quite a few group tours in Rome and Florence when I was there a few days ago. All those people with the receivers on lanyards and ear pieces (had to use them because they would never be able to hear their guide from the back of the pack), following the guide who was holding the flag in the air - just didn't look like fun. They were basically just looking at the head ahead of them (to be sure they didn't run into them), and not really having a chance to see their surroundings.

+1!!! We have done only a few group tours on our past cruises. The total of what I retained from 2 days of a guide talking in Egypt on a large bus tour....that the lower Nile is North and the upper Nile is South. :eek: From a small 6 person tour in St. Petersburg - I don't think I remember a thing that was said by the guide.

I would much rather walk the streets and experience the culture through my own senses rather than filtered through another person's perspective. And, I generally retain more when I've done the reading and planning about an area we are visiting.

You may have misunderstood my post; we are not doing a ship's tour. We are using one of the touring companies that I learned about from these boards. They have several organized tours, but if part of the tour is not to your liking, they can "customize" to your preference assuming the group you are with will not mind. They have groups of 4-6 and 8. Most of the companies I spoke to charge around 550 EU for the complete tour...so if you divide that cost by the number of people in your group, you will find even a group of 4 will work out to about what you would have paid for a ship's tour which is designed for the masses and you cannot change to your liking or physical needs. Also, they can get to areas that the large tour buses cannot manage. I have also found that these companies livelihood and reputations depend on their punctuality. They do everything in their power to insure that you return in more than enough time to board the ship before it sails. They are religious almost to a fault (in that we didn't want to leave and they kept prodding us to get moving!) about keeping to the schedule.

Edited by summer50
additional information

You may have misunderstood my post; we are not doing a ship's tour. We are using one of the touring companies that I learned about from these boards. They have several organized tours, but if part of the tour is not to your liking, they can "customize" to your preference assuming the group you are with will not mind. They have groups of 4-6 and 8. Most of the companies I spoke to charge around 550 EU for the complete tour...so if you divide that cost by the number of people in your group, you will find even a group of 4 will work out to about what you would have paid for a ship's tour which is designed for the masses and you cannot change to your liking or physical needs. Also, they can get to areas that the large tour buses cannot manage. I have also found that these companies livelihood and reputations depend on their punctuality. They do everything in their power to insure that you return in more than enough time to board the ship before it sails. They are religious almost to a fault (in that we didn't want to leave and they kept prodding us to get moving!) about keeping to the schedule.

They may be deceiving you on the part about getting into areas that the large tour busses cannot manage; in the CT everyone has to park in the designated lots at each village. No special privileges for those nasty little black vans. I hate those private tour vans now after this last trip. They clog up intersections, stop to drop off/pick up people on corners so that it prohibits others to see the traffic to safely cross a street. They totally inundate the Pantheon area, making it difficult to walk around it, let a long take some decent photos now.

I am asking if anyone that has done a ship's tour, found it very difficult and strenuous.

It seems no one has answered your question, so I will offer my opinion. My husband and I took this excursion from Livorno and were very happy with it. The ride is 90 minutes each way, and there isn't much of interest along the route, so keep that in mind if Livorno is your starting point.

As for activity level, these are my thoughts.

1. There are no shortcuts. Everyone follows the same narrow paths to enter and exit each village.
  2. It's a bit of a walk from the parking lot to the first village, Vernazza, and there are rocky steps and uneven surfaces along the way.
  3. The path from Monterosso, the last village, to the train station is uphill and without shade. On a very hot day, the walk could be taxing.
  4. Railings don't exist.
  5. Walkways to and from the ferry landings can be difficult to negotiate.
  6. There are very few flat planes.

That said, your friends wouldn't need to be Olympic athletes to take this excursion, but if they tire easily or have balance issues, they should probably choose a different one.

Regarding the ferry landings that is not an issue if one simply used the trains. But many excursions insist on dragging their charges on and off ferries, which can be fun but also difficult for those with mobility issues. So simply go on your own and use the trains to get between villages. Not only is the train the most efficient way to get between the villages, but its the easiest.

Hank

As others have said, ship's sponsored tours will not customize their tours, but I'll add some other issues. The excursion department sells tours on the basis of a description and if items are deleted or the time at a destination is shortened enough to be obvious, the complaints will be loud and justified. Customers would ask for their money back and likely get it.

The excursions follow a timed schedule. Whether arriving at a museum or botanical garden or site of antiquity, these typically involve a timed entry. Buses are arranged to be waiting for pick up at certain places at certain times. Traveling between the towns of the Cinque Terre requires being at the train stations or ferry ports at specific times. The tour providers cannot tinker too much with the time table without complications.

The ship's tours can be counted on to deliver as promised whether or not all the participants can keep up. If some cruisers cannot handle the pace or the terrain, the expectation is that those individuals will stay on the bus. If you have any doubt about your ability to keep up with the pace or the terrain, the best advice is to make private arrangements or risk the anger of your fellow tour members.

Edited by Pet Nit Noy