Bologna vs. Ferrara

SOShrink

On one of our cruise days during the Venice and Gems of Northern Italy river cruise, we are offered a choice of a full day in Bologna or a half day in Ferrara. Whereas Ferrara is a Unesco-designated preserved Renaissance city, etc., Bologna is celebrated for its cuisine, having Europe's oldest university, and for its squares and architecture, etc. I know the answer is highly subjective, but perhaps we can some insight from a cruiser's perspective.

This is just one of those personal preferences. But for us, its an easy recommendation. DW and I both have a strong dislike of Bologna (and we have stayed there a few days) and really enjoy visiting Ferrara. Bologna also remains the only place that I have ever hit a woman (with a tote umbrella) in my life (I am a senior). So if you do go to Bologna and happen to run into a female gypsy pickpocket I hope she still has the bruises on her chest and upper arm. And no, she got nothing from us other then the physical bruises and her bruised pride (she failed).

I will say that Bologna has some interesting architecture (lots of colonnades and their own leaning tower). The food thing is more legend then reality. Bologna has some fine restaurants (and many more that are not so fine) but these days we do not think their cuisine is as good as many other places around Italy. And the reality is that the really excellent restaurants are not visited by large tours....and most of the really top places are only open for dinner. In fact, the last time we looked there was only a single Michelin starred restaurant in Bologna and it is only open in the evening.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner