Specific info on DYI from Sorrento to Herculaneum

shoreboy

We want to go to Herculaneum from Sorrento. I would not mind doing the train, however, would appreciate any advise on alternatives.

If taking the train, where do I get it, where do I but tickets, where do I get off and how long is the ride. I assume to get back I just backtrack. If not, please let me know.

Once at Herculaneum, are there guides, audio guides? How much time should we allow ourselves at the site.

Do the trains run pretty regularly on the way back.

Any other info you think I may need would be greatly appreciated.

A huge thanks.

Trains run from Sorrento rail station, which is a three minute walk from the town centre. This is all at the higher level of Sorrento, the harbour is below & you can get from harbour to town by a little one-euro shuttlebus or (somewhere) there's an elevator.

Trains are half-hourly, 7 days a week, the route is called the Circumvesuviana. Buy your ticket (to Naples if that's where your ship is berthed) at Sorrento rail station. With that ticket, you can break your journey (eg at Pompeii or Herculaneum) as long as you complete the train journey within 6 hours. Unless your ship is moored off Sorrento you don't need to back-track to Sorrento, you simply continue to Naples on the train.

I forget how long the journey Sorrento to Herculaneum, I guess around 40 to 50 minutes. The route, with station names, is displayed above carriage doors throughout the train & stations are clearly signed.

If you want to get off at Pompeii, the station is Pompeii Scavi, its then a very short walk to Pompeii ruins.

If you want to get off at Herculaneum, the station is Ercolano Scavi. It's then a 20 to 25 minute walk down to Herculaneum ruins, or there's likely to be a shuttlevan on the station forecourt - about 4 euros return.

There are guides & audio guides available at the site.

You can rush round in an hour, two hours or more is more sensible.

Back to Ercolano Scavi station for the same train back to a ship at Sorrento or to continue to Naples - Napoli Centrale station. Another guess on time - 20 - 25 minutes to Naples?

Italian railways have a reputation for strikes - their reputation on Cruise Critic is far worse than the reality but it does happen. However, these are not wildcat strikes, they're pre-planned & publicised. If you're unlucky you may have to change your plans - but you won't be stranded by a sudden down-tools.

JB :)

Edited by John Bull