NCL Spirit at Port Liverno

SpokaneDan

Hi, I've read several informative threads re Port Liverno and understands we have to pay for shuttles from port to Liverno town center, and someone mentioned NCL also have shuttles directly to Liverno's train station (to Pisa/Florence etc.). I could not find anything on NCL website. Would someone confirm with his/her first hand experience? Much appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

You might try asking on the NCL board as well.

I think it's worth it if they take you to the train station and pick up there as well, but otherwise it's BS if they tell you their bus is the only option (which is what they did the one time I cruised on NCL). You can get a taxi right at the ship.

Hi, I've read several informative threads re Port Liverno and understands we have to pay for shuttles from port to Liverno town center, and someone mentioned NCL also have shuttles directly to Liverno's train station (to Pisa/Florence etc.). I could not find anything on NCL website. Would someone confirm with his/her first hand experience? Much appreciated.

Ncl Dailies from this season says there is a bus transfer from ship to train station in Livorno...$12 return,charged to your ships account.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/iz7c2aimbld0gpk/Dailies.pdf?dl=0

Edited by aussie cruzer
typo

Ncl Dailies from this season says there is a bus transfer from ship to train station in Livorno...$12 return,charged to your ships account.

Right. In February 2015, the shuttle fee for a RT from the ship to the train station was $12 US. Make sure to not be on the last train back because there is only one bus at the train station and it will get packed quickly(possibly missing the ship). Also, note where you are dropped off when arriving at the train station, because it is not the front of the station and you will need to catch the bus back to the ship at the same location. Have fun.

For what its worth, 4 sharing a taxi will cost about the same and you can be at the train station an hour before the first shuttle bus even leaves the pier. The last time we were in Livorno, if you could find a taxi willing to go the station they generally charged 25 Euros (which can be split 4 or more ways depending on the size of the vehicle). My problem with any bus to a train station is that you then have to deal with 50+ souls trying to buy tickets at the same time! Yuck! And I should add that in our more then a dozen visits to this port (never on NCL) we have never seen any shuttle bus to the train station. Perhaps NCL is more helpful,,,and then again perhaps not.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Was just reading an article on the livorno port website http://www.portolivorno2000.it/en/company/news/news-detail?id=367 which states that Norwegian Spirit managed to dock in the porto mediceo area (pier 61/62 calata sgarallino) that is normally used for smaller cruise ships and ferries. Hopefully more ships of this size will be able to dock on this pier as it allows you to walk in and out of the port easily without having to use the ships shuttle bus and also the pier has a bus stop with regular buses running to and from livorno train station, the pier is also just 1.3km walk away from the cathedral and the piazza grande in livorno city centre which makes it easier and will hopefully allow you to have longer for excursions as you won't have to wait for ship shuttle buses.

According to the article, it took a lot of teamwork from NCL and the port authority/ port captain/ pilot to dock on this pier which is 50m shorter than the norwegian spirit and also has a lower maximum draft (8.5m) than the cruise piers in the industrial port. Norwegian Spirit was originally scheduled to use the alto Fondale cruise terminal however a late change was made to use this pier in the old port which will hopefully be beneficial to people wanting to do independent excursions if they decide to use this pier again in the future