All Things Avalon

FuelScience

Hope you have a great time. Like Riversanddale, we had 77/138 passengers during our recent Budapest - Prague journey, while I understand the reverse trip from Prague - Budapest following ours had even fewer. It was great for us, but probably not so for the places we visited. Never the less, hope you have the same luck as Riversanddale & I.

Be safe.

Thanks. Right now it looks like 52 of 64 cabins are taken, so we're looking at maybe 104 assuming no singles.

FuelSciene

Our most recent was the inaugural on Imagery II and there was nothing that we could suggest to improve our experience. The staff was outstanding, food unbelievable (both taste and presentation) and no, men do not need to wear sports jackets for dinner, even on the special evenings. We saw one sports jacket and that was probably because there was a large group who had never sailed on a river cruise and it was a carryover impression from the big ship cruises. If you are considering Avalon, I wouldn't hesitate to tell you to do it. Cole

Hello B. Cole,

I just started reading this Avalon thread. Sue & I are doing our first river cruise on Avalon Imagery II, December 10, Christmas Market, Amsterdam to Basel...

Noticed you were onboard for the inaugural cruise. We were wondering when that was...

Thanks

Dennis & Sue

We did the Romantic Rhine on the inaugural mid-April and wrote a short review which is on this board, but if you have any specific questions that no one else can answer, I would be happy to answer. If I had to use one word to describe the trip the word would be "excellent" in every way.

Cole

My previous post's been answered... Mid April... TKS..

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

High maintenance traveler here!

Can you let me know how one gets coffee/tea in the am? I like to have a cup of tea before I head out.

On ocean cruises I bring a hot pot and brew a cup in the cabin in the am, but if it's easy to get in the am (and with the ship being much smaller!), I may save the suitcase space!

Thanks,

Chris

Hi All,

High maintenance traveler here!

Can you let me know how one gets coffee/tea in the am? I like to have a cup of tea before I head out.

On ocean cruises I bring a hot pot and brew a cup in the cabin in the am, but if it's easy to get in the am (and with the ship being much smaller!), I may save the suitcase space!

Thanks,

Chris

There is a coffee bar that is available 24 hours. I would imagine that there is always hot water and tea bags. They have cookies there too.

We had coffee delivered every morning along with croissants and a fruit plate. But the coffee station was just steps away regardless of where your cabin is. Front of the boat, back of the boat.... Boats are not very big!

We loved starting our morning with room service, the same cheery young lady brought it each morning and it was lovely.

• 2 weeks later...

Another question!

How are the blow dryers?

I've never traveled on ocean cruises without mine because it's so good.

But whenever we have gone abroad it just seems even with the converter & adapter a US one just doesn't work quite as well as at home....

I'm really thinking of just leaving mine at home this time. Are the ones on the ships pretty good?

Thanks,

Chris

We're leaving in two weeks for a cruise on the Artistry II. Does anyone recall whether Avalon's Quietvox (or other tour radios) units use a standard headphone connector or is it a proprietary connector. We've cruised Viking and Vantage and both used a proprietary connector.

THanks,

FuelScience

Another question!

How are the blow dryers?

But whenever we have gone abroad it just seems even with the converter & adapter a US one just doesn't work quite as well as at home....

I'm really thinking of just leaving mine at home this time. Are the ones on the ships pretty good?

Thanks,

Chris

The hair dryer works fine on our recent trip on the Luminary.

Any single plug headset will work. I've used my own ear buds and my iphone head set with Avalon's system. The new colour coded sets are so much better. They can now easily fit into a pocket so you don't have to hang them around your neck.

Thanks gentlemancruiser! I'm partial to my own ear buds, and glad to know that I'll be able to use them.

FuelScience

Another question!

How are the blow dryers?

Thanks,

Chris

Hair dryer on Expression was great and also the dryers in hotels. I left my hair dryer at home.

Have a great trip.

I just returned from a week on the Passion. While neither my wife or I used the salon we did meet the hair dresser. Small space but looked to be a very efficient set up. I don't foresee any issue with getting an appointment. Was only being used once when I walked by. The salon was on the third deck (same as our room) and just forward of the rear lounge.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Looking for opinions on a couple included excursions on our Rhine and Moselle cruise in October. Black Forest and cuckoo clock or Black Forest and open air museum? Roman Trier or Trier sightseeing? Sayn Manor House or Koblenz walking tour? Horne walking tour or Edam and Beemster Polder?

Thanks.