Choice For River Cruise in France

westerngardener

We've cruised on ocean liners and now looking to experience our first river cruise. There are so many choices out there that it's proving quite the task to decide where and which river cruise line.:confused: Thinking of September/October 2017. Based on our likes/dislikes, I'm looking for suggestions and input.

Not particularly interested in touring churches or hiking.

Hoping to find a great price once we decide on an itinerary.

Help, please:)

Howdy there Westergardener,

We are Lisa and Gary LoneStarCruisinCouple from Sugar Land,Texas

If you should get a chance as yes there are lots and lots of various different cruise line companies, but if you are looking for a truly remarkable All Inclusive company then check out Scenic.

We cruised with them last year Amsterdam to Budapest and if not spending time in Hawaii this year would have done again this year. We are currently booked for Spectacular South of France with Paris and Monte Carlo September 24,2017 and then on there brand new currently being built Eclipse for October of 2018 Cuba in Depth.

Their website is scenicusa.com

Check it out as is an Australian company and yes the Aussies normally outnumber the rest, but great as those folks seem to have a knack for enjoying to the fullest. We are on the remodeled Sapphire for 2017 and adding a Vitality Pool, a Culinary Area as to take French Cooking Classes from some of the best French Chefs and a new cabin category called Royal Owners Suite. We are in one of these and can't wait.

We do have another couple from Ontario Canada also cruising with us. Had met them last year on a Scenic Cruise and they shall be joining us this year as well as next..

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

Hey there, Lisa. I have heard fantastic things about Scenic and your itinerary (Paris/Monte Carlo) sounds like a dream come true. We were in Paris a few years ago and enjoyed it tremendously. This year, we've traveled extensively and hoping to cut back for 2017. Our most recent cruise (December 2015) was out of Sydney and met a wonderful couple who actually visited with us this past June. It's amazing how friendship bonds are formed on cruise critic forums and from there at the cruise lines' Meet & Mingle.:)

Howdy there Westergardener,

We are Lisa and Gary LoneStarCruisinCouple from Sugar Land,Texas

If you should get a chance as yes there are lots and lots of various different cruise line companies, but if you are looking for a truly remarkable All Inclusive company then check out Scenic.

We cruised with them last year Amsterdam to Budapest and if not spending time in Hawaii this year would have done again this year. We are currently booked for Spectacular South of France with Paris and Monte Carlo September 24,2017 and then on there brand new currently being built Eclipse for October of 2018 Cuba in Depth.

Their website is scenicusa.com

Check it out as is an Australian company and yes the Aussies normally outnumber the rest, but great as those folks seem to have a knack for enjoying to the fullest. We are on the remodeled Sapphire for 2017 and adding a Vitality Pool, a Culinary Area as to take French Cooking Classes from some of the best French Chefs and a new cabin category called Royal Owners Suite. We are in one of these and can't wait.

We do have another couple from Ontario Canada also cruising with us. Had met them last year on a Scenic Cruise and they shall be joining us this year as well as next..

Ah so you guys have had the pleasure of meeting some folks from Down Under.

My mom was Australian and I spent most of my younger years growing up in Melbourne.

Re on our cruise with Scenic was about 100 Aussies 40 Canadians and the rest of us a mix.

See that you love food and the new Culinary that they are introducing for 2017 on board our ship should be right up your Alley.

We are also planning in Paris Le Jules Verne at the top of the Eiffel Tower and would love in having another wonderful Canadian couple joining us. We are also doing and get this Lisa's idea Moulin Rouge.

If you should look up scenicusa.com and where it says brouchers scroll down to where it says European River Cruises 2017 view online version and I think page 29 gives you an idea of our living room in our cabin. Can see a few Cocktail Parties before dinner.

I am 65 retired from Continental Airlines and Lisa 61 and a Neo Nurse Practitioner at Texas Children's Hospital.

Spent a month in AU -- barely enough time to explore all we wanted to but did get the 'flavor' of the country. DH is into diving big time and thought his experience on the Great Barrier Reef to be spectacular. On our upcoming cruise this December, he'll get to compare it to Bonaire and Curacao.

Since my last post here, I've been checking out Scenic. I think I'll subscribe and see what offerings might pop up for 2017. Who knows.;)

Aaah. Retired from the airlines, huh. Do you still get 'free' flights?

Ah so you guys have had the pleasure of meeting some folks from Down Under.

My mom was Australian and I spent most of my younger years growing up in Melbourne.

Re on our cruise with Scenic was about 100 Aussies 40 Canadians and the rest of us a mix.

See that you love food and the new Culinary that they are introducing for 2017 on board our ship should be right up your Alley.

We are also planning in Paris Le Jules Verne at the top of the Eiffel Tower and would love in having another wonderful Canadian couple joining us. We are also doing and get this Lisa's idea Moulin Rouge.

If you should look up scenicusa.com and where it says brouchers scroll down to where it says European River Cruises 2017 view online version and I think page 29 gives you an idea of our living room in our cabin. Can see a few Cocktail Parties before dinner.

I am 65 retired from Continental Airlines and Lisa 61 and a Neo Nurse Practitioner at Texas Children's Hospital.

Have you read the 'New to River Cruising' sticky at the top of this forum? Lots of good info for river cruising newbies.

If you are looking for a high-end, all inclusive experience, Scenic is certainly a good choice. They are currently offering free airfare for all 2017 itineraries in France.

Have you read the 'New to River Cruising' sticky at the top of this forum? Lots of good info for river cruising newbies.

If you are looking for a high-end, all inclusive experience, Scenic is certainly a good choice. They are currently offering free airfare for all 2017 itineraries in France.

Thanks. Just starting my research today. Lots to cover. Every little bit helps.

We are Scuba Divers and have done Bonaire ( Captain Dons Habitat) had my underwater camera stolen in Miami but folks in Bonaire gave me one to use.

If you see that you may like give me a shout at dakota242@windstream.net

I can steer you in the right direction as to whom to talk with..

Can also give you our friends name and phone number in Oakville Ontario if you might like to ask a fellow Canadian.

DH, Roger, has booked diving with Roland of VIP Diving in Bonaire. They came with excellent references.

My nephew lives in Oakville. Sister from Erin, Ontario, currently visiting. I grew up in Mississauga. BTW, ever cruised the Lower Mississippi? Checking out the Queen of Mississippi as another option.

Edited by westerngardener
additional info

Can't say that we have ever done the Missippi. If the water that comes along the Texas coast is any indication then I would pass. Really very muddy and makes Galveston Terrible.

With the Free Airfare with the $300 cabin credit that you use in the Spa and with the Food and Wine that one finds in France then by all means Oolala and Paris and The Eiffel Tower and The Arch DeTriumph, and the Lourve, The City of Lights and Love. Celebrating a Wedding Anniversary while cruising..

Just so excited as so much to see..

Gary

Thanks. Just starting my research today. Lots to cover. Every little bit helps.

With our CDN dollar being so weak against the USD, I find that Scenic/Emerald are better value for the money. Scenic is higher end - truly all inclusive. We have traveled with them twice before - and have booked Emerald for our next river cruise.

Scenic does have (included) alternative dining options which are quite nice.

Fran

With our CDN dollar being so weak against the USD, I find that Scenic/Emerald are better value for the money. Scenic is higher end - truly all inclusive. We have traveled with them twice before - and have booked Emerald for our next river cruise.

Scenic does have (included) alternative dining options which are quite nice.

Fran

So right, Fran. I did notice that their pricing was in Cdn $'s.

As we're also considering the Memphis/New Orleans river cruise, I'm trying to ascertain whether we'd be better off with the euro pricing on-board for extras vs U.S. $'s on the paddlewheelers. Of course, there's the travel time getting to Paris once again vs New Orleans. Have spent quite a bit of time in Paris and did visit the 'must's' when we were there, whereas we've never been down South. And . . . we do love spicy food and jazz . . . much to take into account before our final decision.

Thanks to all for your continued input.

Diving and beaches are tough to come by on European river cruises regardless of which company you choose. ;) But be prepared for walking several miles daily.

Completely agree though our Bordeaux cruise did include a visit to Arcachon, which is a lovely coastal town with a very nice beach.

Our favorite France itinerary was the Rhone, and we cruised once Avignon to Lyon and once in reverse. We hopped a train to Marseille for the day, which is on the coast as well. The Rhone wines are more enjoyable to us than those produced in Bordeaux and we preferred the beauty and variety of the ports on the Rhone to Bordeaux. We spent more time in port and the cities and towns were charming and very accessible. The excursions also were more varied and appealing on the Rhone.

We very much enjoyed the city of Bordeaux itself and spent several days there. We did the same in Lyon, another favorite in France.

We have now done three river cruises in France: AMA, Uniworld and Scenic and enjoyed them in that order. In terms of luxury, Uniworld's SS Catherine tops that list. For food, excursions and entertainment, we enjoyed AMA on the Rhone the best of the three, followed by Uniworld. For staff and service, AMA and Scenic share first place.

Edited by caviargal

... Based on our likes/dislikes, I'm looking for suggestions and input.

Not particularly interested in touring churches or hiking.

Hoping to find a great price once we decide on an itinerary...

I have done close to 20 river cruises around the world, including 4 in France. Looking at your likes and not interesteds I have a hard time thinking that a river cruise on any line will be a good fit. River cruises are considerably more expensive than ocean; you are unlikely to find anything that is remotely a good price relative to ocean. We each have different likes and dislikes, nothing wrong with that, but IMO a river cruise does not look like a good fit. If I were you, I'd take the same money, get a place at the beach in the south of France and enjoy wonderful meals; since I'm me, I'd use the money for another river trip.

Thom

Completely agree though our Bordeaux cruise did include a visit to Arcachon, which is a lovely coastal town with a very nice beach.

Our favorite France itinerary was the Rhone, and we cruised once Avignon to Lyon and once in reverse. We hopped a train to Marseille for the day, which is on the coast as well. The Rhone wines are more enjoyable to us than those produced in Bordeaux and we preferred the beauty and variety of the ports on the Rhone to Bordeaux. We spent more time in port and the cities and towns were charming and very accessible. The excursions also were more varied and appealing on the Rhone.

We very much enjoyed the city of Bordeaux itself and spent several days there. We did the same in Lyon, another favorite in France.

We have now done three river cruises in France: AMA, Uniworld and Scenic and enjoyed them in that order. In terms of luxury, Uniworld's SS Catherine tops that list. For food, excursions and entertainment, we enjoyed AMA on the Rhone the best of the three, followed by Uniworld. For staff and service, AMA and Scenic share first place.

Thanks, Caviargal. Excellent info to take into consideration for our river cruise.

What about the Rhone wines in comparison to Bordeaux. We prefer big reds. We especially like Zins, Cabs, Sangiovese ...whites: buttery chards.

Anyone else wishing to share comments on the Rhone and Lyon?:)

Edited by westerngardener
additional info

What about the Rhone wines in comparison to Bordeaux. We prefer big reds. We especially like Zins, Cabs, Sangiovese ...whites: buttery chards.

Anyone else wishing to share comments on the Rhone and Lyon?:)

We really enjoyed our Rhone cruise last year on Uniworld's SS Catherine. Lots to do; in fact, so much to do that we need to revisit the area to hit up all the places that we missed. :D

If you want great food and wine then a higher-end cruise line such as Uniworld or AMA might be more to your liking. Several friends have spoken highly of AMA and we really enjoy the offerings on Uniworld. I can't say that other cruise lines have bad food and wine because I haven't tried them, so this comment isn't intended to be a negative review of any other cruise line.

I would not describe the Rhone reds as big (though some are), and I don't remember any buttery Chardonnays so the wine may be different from what you say that you especially like. The closest we got to Chardonnay was the very beginning of the trip in Burgundy.

Reds are most often GSM blends (more Syrah in the North, more blends in the South) which are very food friendly but have a little more fruit and can be drunk younger than a big Bordeaux blend. Whites vary significantly from North to South (Viogner, Marsanne-Roussanne in the north, and more unusual varietals in the south). On Uniworld, the offered nightly wines were sourced locally and changed every day.

That said, it's fun to try different wines (IMO) for variety's sake.

Lyon is a fun city with lots of history and plenty to do. It's a world-famous gastronomic destination and I could wander the food market all day if I had the time. You should make the time, if you go. Afterwards, there are hills and river banks to walk along so you can burn off a few of the calories, as well as museums and Roman ruins to visit.

I did a detailed day by day blog of our Rhone trip if you want more details about what this cruise entails. The link is in my signature below.

Châteauneuf-du-Pape is a long time favorite of ours and we enjoyed lots of it on our Rhone cruise. Uniworld included a very nice one in addition to other choices. The included wines were quite impressive IMO.

We are also fond of several Cote du Rhone varietals, including a few from Chapoutier. They have a lovely tasting room we spent some time in, but would not ship to the states.

Edited by caviargal

California-style winemaking was developed as a deliberate contrast to old-world styles to make best use of the Cali climate -- big, fruity, no aging required [except at the very high end]. Some of the younger European winemakers are trying to copy the Cali style, but on a river cruise you are likely to get typical regional wines rather than these nouveaus. On the Rhone, the biggest wine is Chateauneuf du Pape which in many vintages requires aging to develop its potential [not as much as Bordeaux, but it never gets as "big" either] -- see if you can find a 2011 to taste an accessible vintage that is drinking very well right now. Buttery Chardonnay is definitely a Cali style -- in France you will get unoaked Chardonnay which reveals the taste of the grape and the minerals of the soil.

Thanks for everyone's input.

Jpalbny's Burgundy & Provence trip review is certainly enlightening and the accompanying photos make all the difference.

HostJazzbean's wine info--much appreciated. We've mostly visited wine appellations in British Columbia, Washington, Oregon and California -- not so much Europe. Dining on a European river cruise would certainly open up a whole new world of varietals to us.

Thanks for everyone's input.

Jpalbny's Burgundy & Provence trip review is certainly enlightening and the accompanying photos make all the difference.

HostJazzbean's wine info--much appreciated. We've mostly visited wine appellations in British Columbia, Washington, Oregon and California -- not so much Europe. Dining on a European river cruise would certainly open up a whole new world of varietals to us.

Depending on the company you sail with, some more than others. We had very good included options with Uniworld and Scenic. AMA has generally one white and one red chosen for that evening, but we have generally been able to request a wine previously served if we do not care for that evening's selection. Or we bring our own if in a good wine region.

Depending on the company you sail with, some more than others. We had very good included options with Uniworld and Scenic. AMA has generally one white and one red chosen for that evening, but we have generally been able to request a wine previously served if we do not care for that evening's selection. Or we bring our own if in a good wine region.

We weren't time-limited -- once I expressed dislike for a night's wine I was immediately offered a choice from all the wines that would be daily offerings. From then on, as soon as we sat down the wine server brought "my" wine to our table.