Using a Walker

budisal

Has anyone used a walker (with 4 wheels) on a European river cruise? Was it difficult to navigate the cobbled streets? My wife just had a knee replacement awhile ago and may have to use one on our river cruise in September. Any information would be appreciated. Getting on and off the boat will not be a problem... just walking distances.

Edited by budisal

My mom brought a monopod walking stick and was mostly ok - but slow (she probably needs more but won't admit it). I can imagine small wheels on a walker could be problematic in some areas (as well as steps) What itinerary?

In some ports (like Heidelberg) if you did not want to or were not able to walk from the Castle down to the town after the Castle tour, you could ride the bus. We didn't (we didn't even do the tour with the group - we just wanted a ride to the Castle and then we walked down ourselves after exploring the Christmas market).

Edited by Hoyaheel

My friend is sofa surfing here presently and on a walker from new hip. We walk the backstreets of Aspen, just regular paving. He keeps getting stuck on tiny holes. No way could he walk cobblestone in Europe.I would wait till she is fully ambulatory. And more water in Rivers so no busing.

Edited by zoncom

We're on Scenic's Amber September 2nd, Budapest to Amsterdam. My wife is actually pretty ambulatory. I just worry about her pain and getting overly tired. It's also been suggested that she should carry one of those canes with a pop down seat like you see people sitting on at golf tournaments. This is our first river cruise. We're seasoned ocean cruisers and love sea days that give you a day to recover from the excursions of the day before. I worry that the daily activity of a river cruise will be too much for us - especially my wife. However, it will be what it will be and, I'm sure it will be fabulous. We'll do what we are capable of doing and love the heck out of our experiences. A two week Caribbean ocean cruise is going to be booked for February or March once we get back. We can relax then. In the meantime, we will love the river. Thanks for everyone's help and suggestions.

The cobblestones will definitely present a challenge for a walker. So often there are missing or broken ones where wheels could get stuck, I imagine that your tour director will be helpful in deciding what is possible. Gentle walker tours, if offered, will be a good fit and if need be you could leave the tours early and get a cab back to the ship.

Wishing you a great trip. You are going to see some beautiful sights!

Oh, I'm absolutely certain it will be a great, fun trip. I've heard nothing but great things about Scenic. And who can beat a 15 day river cruise through Europe in September? We will definitely be joining the gentle walker group and we'll just pace ourselves. Thanks for everyone's responses.

I held off a hip replacement until after our river cruise

in retrospect

I would not have liked to see those streets for 6 months after my surgery

but everyone responds differently

there was on our last river using a light weight 'scooter'

it did not handle the cobbles well

Boy, I don't know what's wrong with my dating apparatus. I keep saying September 2nd when the actual cruise is the 5th. We're leaving Toronto on the 2nd. Geez, get it right Al!

I understand -- my calendar says the trip begins on the 2nd, and that's what sticks in my mind [and a good thing, because that way I get my affairs and packing in order in time for the 2nd!]

I do hope your wife is recovering from the operation. I had my left knee replaced on 17th March and am off to Paris and the Seine next Friday (5th). My only concern for this trip is the walking excursions but as they are optional I may spend time relaxing on board for a change. Good luck with the cobble stones they are something I am not looking forward to. I will be using my trusty chair stick which has served me well for the past 3 years and keeping my fingers crossed for decent weather.

I understand -- my calendar says the trip begins on the 2nd, and that's what sticks in my mind [and a good thing, because that way I get my affairs and packing in order in time for the 2nd!]

Are you on our cruise (Amber, Sept 5th, Budapest to Amsterdam)? Or am I reading something incorrect into your answer? If you're on our cruise, we'll be in stateroom 332 on Diamond Deck. Look us up. We'll buy you a drink... oh, right, drinks are included. OK, we'll order you a drink.

Are you on our cruise (Amber, Sept 5th, Budapest to Amsterdam)? Or am I reading something incorrect into your answer? If you're on our cruise, we'll be in stateroom 332 on Diamond Deck. Look us up. We'll buy you a drink... oh, right, drinks are included. OK, we'll order you a drink.

Sorry, that was just a general agreement about confusion, not referring to any specific cruise! :o

On Avalon we had Gentle walkers group and the Cruise Director on a couple of occasions arranged a little train or trolley for those folks. She reminded us gently that those seats were intended for her special group and the rest of us could enjoy our stroll into town :)

We also had 2 couple who stayed with the boat most of the time and really enjoyed this because the boat often moved while we toured all day.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I normally use a cane. When I travel I take a collapsible wheelchair and use it as a walker; if I get tired, somebody pushes me. The wheels on the wheelchair are larger than a walker; a wheelchair doesn't absorb the bumps as much as a walker or a transport chair. A collapsible wheelchair can be placed under the tour bus.

I had hip replacement on June 9 and our Emerald river cruise starts in Budapest Aug 6. I still have to use a cane and I'm worried how much walking I can do. But the pain before the surgery was intolerable so I will make the best of it. Cobblestones will be difficult and will need to take my time.

I had hip replacement on June 9 and our Emerald river cruise starts in Budapest Aug 6. I still have to use a cane and I'm worried how much walking I can do. But the pain before the surgery was intolerable so I will make the best of it. Cobblestones will be difficult and will need to take my time.

I think most cruise lines have 'gentle walkers' groups - make sure you sign up for them. Often they are smaller groups and the Cruise Director and guides want to make sure that you enjoy your visit. Take your time, enjoy yourself, and don't feel like you have to be doing everything everyday!

In my limited experience using a cane, I was on 2 Uniworld cruises this summer in France and the staff and cruise director couldn't have been more solicitous and the tour guides were very accommodating. At some stops (Rouen, Avignon and Tain-Hermitage for example), the gentle walkers had a tourist train included in their morning tour. In Viviers the CD arranged a van ride to/from the cathedral at the top of the hill city. The added benefit is that the gentle walkers group was often only 6 - 10 people - even smaller than Uniworld's normal groups of about 15.

I hope your recovery continues and you have a wonderful, memorable cruise!

Edited by capriccio