Jewel - June 11, 2017 Chartered

• 2 weeks later...

I am so sorry for you! The same thing happened to those of us on a March 19, 2017 cruise and some people lost their airfare and hotels booked in San Juan. RC offered nothing unless you were able to switch to a cruise in mid April. Somehow this just doesn't seem fair and bad business for RC not to somehow compensate everyone, not just those with open schedules. I hope you make out better than we did!!

What is going on with RC :mad:

I had two friends who were booked on this cruise, one of whom had already been bumped from 2 cruises earlier this year.

I was bumped from Legend next May after they announced they had sold it to Tui (only a few weeks after I booked it - as if they weren't already in advanced negotations at that time :rolleyes:). I rebooked onto Brilliance for next June and that cruise has been showing as sold out for over 3 weeks - so fully expecting that one to be cancelled too.

There is an ongoing thread about Navigation being chartered by a Zumba group next April.

The constant issue with all these cruises seems to be that the cruise disappears from sale, guests try to find out what's happening and are given that old chestnut 'inventory maintenance' as an excuse and then weeks later are finally told the ship has been sold/chartered/redeployed.

I'm sure the cheerleaders/shareholders will claim it's all good business sense but some people have booked air and some have booked B2Bs which will now cause rescheduling issues.

Come on Royal, start treating your guests with some courtesy and stop messing so many people around.

Edited by Bobal

I am so sorry for you! The same thing happened to those of us on a March 19, 2017 cruise and some people lost their airfare and hotels booked in San Juan.

RC offered nothing unless you were able to switch to a cruise in mid April.

Somehow this just doesn't seem fair and bad business for RC not to somehow compensate everyone, not just those with open schedules. Agree

I hope you make out better than we did!!

I have a feeling that they r chartering only popular ships, like Jewel :confused:

I've started booking 2 cruises during the time we want to cruise instead of one in case one gets chartered. An aft balcony cabin is important to us and if our cruise gets chartered we know aft cabins won't be around when Royal gives us alternative weeks/ships to choose from.

I've had two chartered out from under us in the short time we've been cruising. I will be prepared for Royal's shenanigans in the future.

I wonder if this thread will be any different than all the other chartered/cancelled cruise stories.

Snarky. Just move on and ignore it. It may not matter to you but it does to some :p

I know it's disappointing, but you wouldn't want to be on a "chartered" cruise, unless you're part of that group! While there are groups on EVERY cruise, a charter will be a different kettle of fish....everything revolves around that particular activity or interest!

I would be angry also. Especially since this was not something I was aware of until recently.

No more booking far in advance for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's a Catch-22 situation though. We were booked on the chartered June 11th cruise and I was the first one who warned everyone on our Roll Call what might happen when our cruise showed up as "Sold Out." We cancelled the cruise--and were penalized by our travel agent to the tune of a $100 cancellation fee--but we were able to book another cruise at an advantageous price. Had we waited to get the cancellation notice from RCI, we would have been given $200 OBC on a cruise of their choice (not ours)...but by that time, the sale under which we booked our 2nd substitution cruise was over, and guess what, the prices were up, up, up. So we'd have been out of pocket.

I would be angry also. Especially since this was not something I was aware of until recently.

No more booking far in advance for me.

You can book the cruise in advance - just don't pay for anything non refundable till much closer to the sailing. Other than the recent Empress cancellations, most of the time you get 6+ month notice.

We have only been on a dozen or so cruises and twice we have had cruises cancelled on us as they redeployed the ships. We were disappointed but found other cruises to replaced the cancelled ones. They gave us $250 per cruise OBC, nothing like free money.

It happens, oh well.

Just received news that this has now been chartered. So disappointed as we cancelled a Celebrity cruise to switch to this one. We all know it happens, but as I am such a planner it has just sent me into a tailspin.

We had this cruised booked and they called to cancel as well. Royal re-booked us for June 25th 2017 with the same price and also gave us a $200 on-board credit.

What was worse is that flights had opened up for June 11, and it is likely that some people would have already bought them before RCI admitted that the cruise was cancelled

I asked about this and she said if we were charged anything for changing our flights/hotel, they would refund that money as well. Doesn't matter if the flight/hotel was booked through them or not. I'm not 100% sure I trust that, but we hadn't booked yet so it's no worry to us.