Viking Lyon & Provence

sondi 14

Just finished that cruise on the 13th. Yes, you are actually docked at Lyon. The only place we were not docked at was Arles, and that was a short and beautiful drive past fields of sunflowers. The only thing that we didn't do was the cruising up to Macon France. I think there was some damage to a bridge that we would not be able to pass under, so we did not get to move from our port for the first three days. It was disappointing, but even more exciting when we finally got to move. :-). Maybe that will not be a problem for you when you start your cruise. It was our first Viking cruise and we will definitely do another.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Just finished that cruise on the 13th. Yes, you are actually docked at Lyon. The only place we were not docked at was Arles, and that was a short and beautiful drive past fields of sunflowers. The only thing that we didn't do was the cruising up to Macon France. I think there was some damage to a bridge that we would not be able to pass under, so we did not get to move from our port for the first three days. It was disappointing, but even more exciting when we finally got to move. :-). Maybe that will not be a problem for you when you start your cruise. It was our first Viking cruise and we will definitely do another.

Were you on the Heimdal? If so, we are on the 8/17 cruise from Avignon to Lyon. Any insights, thoughts and opinions on the shore excursions, food, ship, etc. are greatly appreciated.

Were you on the Heimdal? If so, we are on the 8/17 cruise from Avignon to Lyon. Any insights, thoughts and opinions on the shore excursions, food, ship, etc. are greatly appreciated.

We were on the Delling. We saw the Heimdal more than once and were docked next to them at port. Our sistership. :-) Our cruise started in Lyon and ended in Avignon. We were especially happy with the food and our program director and all of the staff. We enjoyed all of the included excursions except for the steam train ride. I think we would have enjoyed just simply staying at the town we were docked in and exploring some more. The train was uncomfortable, and hot being open air. We have done tours before and have learned to not try to do two excursions in one day. Some had no problem with it, but it makes for a very very long day if you do. Some of the optional excursions I hear are fantastic, such as the aqueducts. It will more than likely be very hot on the southern portion of your cruise, so attending an excursion in the morning is recommended versus afternoon.

That is great info...thanks. We were actually excited about the steam train so we may want to temper our expectations. Also good info about doing 2 excursions in one day as we are contemplating that. Hope we can sail to Macon instead of busing it but with water levels and bridge work I guess you never know. Thanks and if you have any other tidbits let them fly:)

Thanks for the information, Katjoy 56. We are thinking of taking that cruise

next June. On some of the reviews from last year, it seems that they boarded in Chalon Sur Saone which is a ways out of Lyon, but on the Viking website it says Lyon. It sounds like you enjoyed the cruise.

We took the Viking Rhine cruise this year and loved it. The boat was beautiful and the food and service were great. We did have a problem at the end of the cruise with the high levels of the river, but we knew to expect that there may be problems.

That is great info...thanks. We were actually excited about the steam train so we may want to temper our expectations. Also good info about doing 2 excursions in one day as we are contemplating that. Hope we can sail to Macon instead of busing it but with water levels and bridge work I guess you never know. Thanks and if you have any other tidbits let them fly:)

If you are a Railfan you may enjoy the train ride. DH is a huge Railfan, and I enjoy coming along for the ride. We have taken many a train trip that others found boring and/or too expensive and we loved it. Of course nearly everyone says the seats on this particular train trip are uncomfortable.

We are doing this cruise next year, along with three days in Paris-Can't wait!

We are on the Heimdal the week before you - Lyon to Avignon. We will try not to drink up all the wine.:)

We are on the Heimdal the week before you - Lyon to Avignon. We will try not to drink up all the wine.:)

And please leave some food for us! Hope you have a great trip. We are excited for our first river cruise after about 20 ocean cruises.

And please leave some food for us! Hope you have a great trip. We are excited for our first river cruise after about 20 ocean cruises.

I'm sure you will love it. We did our 1st river cruise in 2014 (Budapest to Amsterdam) on Viking after about 30 ocean cruises and it was our best cruise experience ever.

We were on the Delling. We saw the Heimdal more than once and were docked next to them at port. Our sistership. :-) Our cruise started in Lyon and ended in Avignon. We were especially happy with the food and our program director and all of the staff. We enjoyed all of the included excursions except for the steam train ride. I think we would have enjoyed just simply staying at the town we were docked in and exploring some more. The train was uncomfortable, and hot being open air.

We took the steam train when Uniworld added it due to high river itinerary change. We like riding the rails, too -- just completed Canadian Rockies partly by rail. However, this train was exceedingly uncomfortable. I decided to stand in the outside vestibule most of the way. DH had to have a massage afterward to ease his back pain. The scenery down the canyon was pretty but not spectacular. I think everyone was glad when it as over. Poking around the little port would have been better, for sure.

We took the steam train when Uniworld added it due to high river itinerary change. We like riding the rails, too -- just completed Canadian Rockies partly by rail. However, this train was exceedingly uncomfortable. I decided to stand in the outside vestibule most of the way. DH had to have a massage afterward to ease his back pain. The scenery down the canyon was pretty but not spectacular. I think everyone was glad when it as over. Poking around the little port would have been better, for sure.

That excursion has gotten bad reviews on several river cruise line threads. Luckily there are generally alternatives -- on AMA you could choose Red Wine & Chocolate (ok reviews) or Hermitage Wine Tasting (the one we did, which was excellent).

On some of the reviews from last year, it seems that they boarded in Chalon Sur Saone which is a ways out of Lyon, but on the Viking website it says Lyon. .

This trip chnaged slightly from previous years.

Prior to 2016 from arriving in Lyon you were bussed to the boat moored at Chalonne sur Saone and the boat headed south to Avignon.

From 2016 the boat is moored at Lyon, then cruises north to Chalonne sur Saone then heads south to Avignon.

Last year there was a trip to Beaune with a tasting of Burgundy, from 2016 that's replaced by a visit to Beaujolais and a Beaujolais tasting

pontac,

Thank you for the information. We are thinking of booking this cruise next June and I've been reading the reviews and looking for information on what it offers.

I hope that anyone who is taking it this year will report back on their experience.

This trip chnaged slightly from previous years.

Prior to 2016 from arriving in Lyon you were bussed to the boat moored at Chalonne sur Saone and the boat headed south to Avignon.

From 2016 the boat is moored at Lyon, then cruises north to Chalonne sur Saone then heads south to Avignon.

Last year there was a trip to Beaune with a tasting of Burgundy, from 2016 that's replaced by a visit to Beaujolais and a Beaujolais tasting

Spot on. We were at Chalonne sur Saone but Lyon would be better.

Photos

We hit Arles on May Day, hence the populace dressed up.

• 4 months later...