Freedom of Seas dinner attire, non-formal nights

Is it acceptable to wear nice cargo shorts with polo shirts on normal dinner nights? We went on cruise for honeymoon 20 years ago and do not remember wearing pants to dinner other than the formal nights.

OK, HERE WE GO....... :rolleyes:

Think of a "Dinner Party" at a nice "White Tablecloth" restaurant where you live. How would you dress?

If you answer, "Cargo Shorts", your wife needs to elbow you and make you "rethink" your answer. ;)

There is a rule "No Shorts In Dining Room at Dinner". I have seen them turn people away at the door, and I have seen them not.

Hope This Helps.

The answer will depend partly upon your interpretation of the meaning of "acceptable." It is specifically requested that shorts not be worn to the main dining room in the evening. In general, they do not have clothing police going around kicking people out for ignoring such requests, though.

So, if you think not being kicked out mean it's "acceptable," the answer is most likely a yes. If you think respecting the requested guidelines is required to meet "acceptable," then no. :D

I'm not against wearing pants to dinner; I just don't remember, for the life of me, having pants on the last cruise other than my suit. I guess that's what having kids will do to you. The brain starts to slowly slip away. Thanks

My thought is that 20 years ago we did not have the it's all about me and MY vacation and I'll dress as I please group. People just respected the cruise line 's guidelines and their fellow cruisers. Don't remember questioning the dress codes. It was what it was and people dressed accordingly. DH would be happy to wear cargo shorts every night - not on my watch!

The first night of our July 3rd cruise they were a little lax about the dress code in the dining room because they knew some of the people hadn't gotten their luggage delivered yet. I took two pairs of pants and just changed into shorts after dinner. My feeling is that I didn't want to be the guy they turned away at the front. Have a great trip!

Is it acceptable to wear nice cargo shorts with polo shirts on normal dinner nights? We went on cruise for honeymoon 20 years ago and do not remember wearing pants to dinner other than the formal nights.

Not in my family. DH and DS wear khakis (pants) generally for dinner on the non-formal nights.

Same with DH in 2003 on our honeymoon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As others have said there is a "no shorts at dinner" rule. Can you get away with it? Maybe. Should you try? Guess that's up to you. I'm a rule follower. I'd never try it. Personally it's not that hard to put a pair of Dockers on for dinner. But that's just me. It's my vacation. On my vacation I choose to respect the wishes of the cruise line and respect others around me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by papaflamingo

IMO the OP merely asked what the rules are, presumably so that they can pack the requested attire. No need to ask what the rules are if you have no intention of following them. The implications that the OP is trying to get away with something seem out of line.

IMO the OP merely asked what the rules are, presumably so that they can pack the requested attire. No need to ask what the rules are if you have no intention of following them. The implications that the OP is trying to get away with something seem out of line.

I wouldn't bet on it. lots of people read the rules then ask if it is okay to disregard them. ( look at al the recent threads about the Grande restaurant: I want the free lobster/really like the menu but I don't wanna wear a jacket)

FTR, IMNSHO Cargo shorts are NOT acceptable. I could possibly be talked into grudgingly conceding that Golf or Bermuda shorts are dressy enough. Belted, with socks and dress shoes. NOT sandals.

Basketball shorts are RIGHT OUT and should be banned anywhere not by the pool or basketball court.

Edited by spookwife

The answer will depend partly upon your interpretation of the meaning of "acceptable." It is specifically requested that shorts not be worn to the main dining room in the evening. In general, they do not have clothing police going around kicking people out for ignoring such requests, though.

So, if you think not being kicked out mean it's "acceptable," the answer is most likely a yes. If you think respecting the requested guidelines is required to meet "acceptable," then no. :D

Not Completely Right:

There are "requested guidelines" for Formal Night attire.

There is a RULE, and it is plainly posted, "No Shorts Allowed In Dining Room During Dinner"

Hope This Helps.

Edited by DHADEN

On my June 26 thru July 3 trip there was no dress code . Saw people in shorts and t-shirt every night at the main dining room . The best one was the bathing suit and sleeve less shirt . We complain to the head maitre ,dining staff and main dining manager. They basically turn a blind eye and did nothing. So good luck you'll should see everything at diner.

NO. except for first and last nights...

I'm not a dresser for formal night either. I and many will not like this and think I'm strange, but on one of our last cruises, I virtually wore the same pants on all but 3 nights out of 14, and NO ONE NOTICED or cared, also they were just a dark colored easy wash/dry, yes I did have to wash them once LOL. We travel pretty light, I did have several matching, good looking shirts to wear with them.

Yes! Unless it is formal night. People get mad when there are shorts in the background of their picture. Have pizza that night. Otherwise, enjoy your vacation

I see a lot of really fussy people in this thread. Very amusing. If what someone else wears really interferes with your enjoyment of your cruise, you really need to rethink your priorities.

Edited by Lordnlkon

I see a lot of really fussy people in this thread. Very amusing. If what someone else wears really interferes with your enjoyment of your cruise, you really need to rethink your priorities.

I agree, these threads are always amusing. Some people worry way too much about what YOU do on YOUR vacation.

I personally would not wear shorts, probably nice jeans with a button down shirt and dress shoes, but I could care less if someone has shorts on at dinner.

As others have said, the cruiseline requests no shorts in the dining room. Polo shirts are fine. Perhaps on your cruise 20 years ago you ate at an alternative to the main dining room where shorts were allowed? Or maybe it was a different cruiseline?

Either way, these boards are exactly for these kinds of questions, for clarification. If you're cruising again--have fun!!

Just off the July 17th sailing and while it is true the requesr no shorts at dinner there werd plsnty of peopld wearing shorts. Dress in the MDR was the most casual of any cruise I have ever been on.

While they did not seem to enforce the dress code at dinner we were going to eat breakfast one morning at they turned away a group wearing tank top. Found it kind of funny.

I agree, these threads are always amusing. Some people worry way too much about what YOU do on YOUR vacation.

I personally would not wear shorts, probably nice jeans with a button down shirt and dress shoes, but I could care less if someone has shorts on at dinner.

Exactly. I wear a suit and tie every day for work. I go on vacation so I don't have to wear them and I don't care at all what other people think I should wear. I usually wear a nice button down shirt and pair of expensive jeans to dinner with dress shoes. But honestly I really don't care what others wear. If you want to wear a tux, good for you. And the family in shorts with their kids in hats, who really cares? It's their vacation they paid for it.

My thought is that 20 years ago we did not have the it's all about me and MY vacation and I'll dress as I please group. People just respected the cruise line 's guidelines and their fellow cruisers. Don't remember questioning the dress codes. It was what it was and people dressed accordingly. DH would be happy to wear cargo shorts every night - not on my watch!

LOL! Could we possibly be married to the same guy? ;):D