Decaf on European Cruises?

uilleann

I got a habit for decaf Lattes that I make at home. MMMMmmm I make them very well. Caffeinated is not good for me. I noticed that our Avalon waterways ship has a machine that has caf and decaf cappuccinos. They are probably ok. But what about the ports. Last time we were in Europe, if you asked for decaf you got nescafe decaf mixed in hot water with some milk for a cafe a lait or cafe con leche.

Has Europe changed now to the point where you can go to a cafe and get a decaf latte or similar?

...Has Europe changed now to the point where you can go to a cafe and get a decaf latte or similar?
IME in restaurants or standard cafes you get Nescafe. I assume that there are places in Europe with brewed decaf, but I haven't run into them (nor was I specifically trying to find them).

Thom

IME in restaurants or standard cafes you get Nescafe. I assume that there are places in Europe with brewed decaf, but I haven't run into them (nor was I specifically trying to find them).

Thom

I second Thom..we drink caffeinated in the morning and decaf at dinner and it's always been a cup or pitcher of boiling water with a packet of Nescafe no matter what country we were in. So we just stopped drinking coffee at night and stick with the wine. On board the ships we've been on, the coffee dispenser always dispensed both caffeinated and decaf.

Hummmm - I guess that's your story and you are sticking with it:D

Unavailability of brewed decaf sounds like as good excuse as any to drink wine:p

Excuses??? Excuses!!! I don't got to show you no stinking excuses!!!

I live in Denmark and have traveled extensively in Europe and decaf just isn't part of the culture here. I'm an American and when I first moved here and started asking for decaf in the evening, I quickly learned that it just isn't the done thing in Europe. "So American," they'd say.

My wine consumption has gone way up since expatriating :D

Edited by ExpatBride

It's difficult even finding regular American style coffee in Europe. Haha. But all the river cruise ships have the fancy coffee machines. First world problems solved

Actually I find the European brewed coffee is much better than American style..not talking about the espresso of course, that stuff makes me shake!!! I also find I can drink a lot more wine in Europe than here because the wine doesn't have sulfides in it (preservative) and that's what gives you the awful headache and hangover. Just another reason to travel. :D

Actually I find the European brewed coffee is much better than American style..not talking about the espresso of course, that stuff makes me shake!!! I also find I can drink a lot more wine in Europe than here because the wine doesn't have sulfides in it (preservative) and that's what gives you the awful headache and hangover. Just another reason to travel. :D

I love the coffee in most European countries as I prefer rich and full bodied. Here at home, my husband brews me a daily espresso around 4pm. My afternoon pick me up! We have a Nespresso coffee maker and it makes great coffee.

Agree about the wine as well. Wine, bread and cheese are my three major food groups. Red wine, crusty bread and stinky cheese, to be exact :)

Edited by caviargal

I love the coffee in most European countries and, here at home, my husband brews me a daily espresso around 4pm. My afternoon pick me up! We have a Nespresso coffee maker and it makes great coffee.

I remember when I could do that too, but now if I drink regular coffee after 12 noon I'm bouncing off the walls. It I drank espresso, I'd be bouncing off the walls for a week!!! :eek:

Agree about the wine as well. Wine, bread and cheese are my three major food groups :)

Ok there we differ, my 3 major food groups are chocolate, ice-cream and wine...not in that order of course. Vegetables, dairy and fruit..healthy right? :D

Have you tried asking for an Americano? It's obviously not an American drip coffee, but it's pretty close.

IME, at least in southern Europe, an Americano is espresso with hot water added. Nothing like American drip coffee.

IME, at least in southern Europe, an Americano is espresso with hot water added. Nothing like American drip coffee.

It is in most countries I have visited as well. When I order the occasional Cafe Americano it has never arrived as a cocktail.

Edited by caviargal

On our Douro River Cruise in Portugal in May, our cruise ship had brewed decaf as well as regular coffee.

And on all of our Vantage cruises the coffee station in the lounge had brewed decaf and regular as well as espresso and hot chocolate.