Scenic Transport

budisal

I know Scenic mentions transport from airport to hotel, etc in their brochure, but could I ask something of those experienced with this aspect? We will be arriving in Budapest 2 days before the cruise.

Q 1 - Will Scenic pick us up from the airport and take us to the hotel (I assume so)? It's the Marriott.

Q 2 - Will they pick us up from the hotel two days later and take us to the boat? It's also a Marriott.

Q 3 - When we finish the cruise in Amsterdam, will they provide transport to the hotel we are staying at for the two days at the finish of the cruise?

Q 4 - after the extra two days at the hotel in Amsterdam, will they pick us up at the hotel and deliver us to the airport for our trip home.

Note: We are staying at the two hotels recommended by Scenic.

We traveled with Scenic last year but booked the Marriott on our own. Scenic does provide transport from the hotel to the ship. The exact information will be included in your cruise documents.

Why not give them a call directly?

Thanks Nancy. Never thought to actually call them.... duh!!! Did you take forints or euros with you or were your credit cards enough in most places.

1. Since we made our own arrangements before the cruise we took a taxi from

the airport. Every easy. You walk up to a dispatch windown, tell them

where you want to go and pay them. I think we paid with a credit card.

We had the name of the hotel written on a card to avoid any language

confusion.

2. There is an ATM in the lobby of the Marriott. Look at it carefully since you

can choose the denomination of the currency that you want. Choose small

denominations since (I have read) shop keepers and other may not want

to break large bills.

3. We had executive lounge access which was great. The executive lounge

has a large terrace with views up and down the river and views of castle

hill. We got something to eat when we arrived and there was enough

food put out in the evening that we didn't have to go out to eat. There

were bottles of liquor, beer and soft drinks to. Ate breakfast out on the

terrace the next morning.

4. We took the hop on hop off bus on arrival day and the next morning

(boarding day). For our Scenic tour option we chose the bath which

was a lot of fun. A tour was included before we were dropped off and

a mini bus picked us up at the end of our time at the baths.

Let me know if you want more details.

Glad there's an ATM at the Marriott. That'll make things easy. I'm assuming scenic will get us to the hotel as part of the deal. If not, well, there's always a taxi. We'll wait and see what our documents say. We're going to be in Budapest for a couple of days so the hop on hop off bus sounds ideal. I think we've booked the city tour. Might just change our minds though since we'll have a couple of days to do our tours on our own and not need the one offered by scenic. Did scenic provide the executive lounge or was that because you'd booked a more expensive room? We're on diamond deck, but just in a regular suite.

Thanks for your answers. Much appreciated. Al

We booked a standard room at the Marriott with a senior discount. Since I have Gold level "membership" the executive lounge access is complimentary.

On the afternoon of arrival day we took the HOHO bus. At the castle hill stop we toured the Hospital in the Rock which is very interesting. Saw the nearby Fishermen's Bastion and the craft market there. The ticket line for St. Matthias church was too long but we did visit the first day we were onboard the ship.

After returning from the baths the ship's staff called a taxi for us. Only 7 forints to get up the hill to St. Matthias which rather interesting wall paintings and interior.

From the Fishermen's Bastion we headed downhill and back to the ship. The neighborhood seemed safe. I like to get off the regular tourist path.

Glad there's an ATM at the Marriott. That'll make things easy. I'm assuming scenic will get us to the hotel as part of the deal. If not, well, there's always a taxi. We'll wait and see what our documents say. We're going to be in Budapest for a couple of days so the hop on hop off bus sounds ideal. I think we've booked the city tour. Might just change our minds though since we'll have a couple of days to do our tours on our own and not need the one offered by scenic. Did scenic provide the executive lounge or was that because you'd booked a more expensive room? We're on diamond deck, but just in a regular suite.

Thanks for your answers. Much appreciated. Al

We only use bank ATM's at major banks when in Europe. Private ATM's have lower exchange rates as the hotels, etc. are paid a commission to have them on site. Well worth the small effort to find a real bank ATM, IMO.

We got forints for Budapest as when you pay in Euro you leave money on the table. The best value is to use the currency of the country you are in.

We had very very few expenses in Budapest so we withdrew a very modest amount at the ATM at the Marriott. We had forint left over which we left with our hard working Scenic room steward even though you don't have to tip.

We are in the US and I have seen where some or our traveling friends in other parts of the world get pick up at there home and transported to the airport. Does anyone one have any info on this?? I will call Scenic and ask them also.

Also might note, we are with Scenic in October Prague on our own and our travel agent as already made arrangements for transfer to the Marriott. As far as the executive level it can be book prior (More cost) and also at the time of check in the front desk has the ability to upgrade to Marriott rewards members as far as there rewards level. We to are booked in Budapest for our final night and one extra and scenic is to provide our transfer as booking though Scenic was a better deal than Prague to book though Scenic.

Edited by 515kitty

We traveled with Scenic last year but booked the Marriott on our own. Scenic does provide transport from the hotel to the ship. The exact information will be included in your cruise documents.

Why not give them a call directly?

We are also staying at the hotels that Scenic arranges for you but even if you do them on your own they will still do the transfers, all I had to do was give Scenic my confirmation numbers at the hotels.

Marlster

I got hold of Scenic and they answered within 5 minutes --- that's customer service folks! Apparently all transfers are included and will be shown in my documents when I receive them. I'm impressed!!!