Russian rivers question

claret300

We're interested in taking a Russian river cruise St Petersburg-Moscow (or vice versa). However, we'd prefer to spend just the 7 days or so of cruising on the ship and the exploring days in St P & Moscow in hotels - mostly to give us some independence and also to avoid the commuting to and from where the ship's docked. Does anyone know/can anyone recommend lines that have that kind of itinerary? It looks like everyone wants you to take 12-14 days so that you have to stay on board the boat for several days in both those cities. Any help, suggestions or advice much appreciated.

We're interested in taking a Russian river cruise St Petersburg-Moscow (or vice versa). However, we'd prefer to spend just the 7 days or so of cruising on the ship and the exploring days in St P & Moscow in hotels - mostly to give us some independence and also to avoid the commuting to and from where the ship's docked. Does anyone know/can anyone recommend lines that have that kind of itinerary? It looks like everyone wants you to take 12-14 days so that you have to stay on board the boat for several days in both those cities. Any help, suggestions or advice much appreciated.

Russian River cruises have pulled back quite a bit and several who used to do them are no longer doing them. I haven't looked recently but the past few years, I don't think any company provided this.

I have done a land trip in Russia spending time in St. Petersburg (Leningrad back in the day) and did the train to Moscow (on a high school trip) and then have also done a river cruise on AMA years later. We did not stay in a hotel on the AMA trip.

I have to tell you if I had to do it again, I would skip the river cruise and stay in hotels and just visit Moscow and St. Petersburg. So much to do there and we saw far more on my cheap high school trip then I did on the river cruise that cost a $$$. Also, a lot of the ports along the Volga, the stops are only a few hours a piece and they didn't provide that much more to my trip, most of the time I wish I had skipped that area and had more time in St. Petersburg and Moscow.

I would do a land trip and spend time in hotels near the center of the city and skip the river cruise. Find a company that does land trips. Just my opinion (speaking from a perspective who has done it both ways).

While AMA no longer does Russian trips, AMA in Russia was on a ship that included 2 AMA employees and the rest were Vodohod employees on a Vodohod ship. The experience was mediocre, at best. I believe the only company that owns their ships in Russia is Viking.

We did the Russian River Cruise in 2011 and loved it. At that time, Vantage was the only company that had 5 star hotels in STP and Moscow while in those cities, with 7 days on the cruise. Vantage doesn't do that cruise anymore.

You can check Viking, Uniworld, Avalon and Grand Circle, not sure if any have such a deal.

We liked the cruise and most of the places on the cruise were very interesting, especially Kitzi Island in the far north.

We also, did a pre tour of Kiev and post tour of the Baltics, which was wonderful.

If you go to Russia, recommend going to see the ballet in STP as well as the Russian Army show.

I would love to see the palaces in St. Petersburg but I refuse to spend money on a government that abuses human rights - think the Ukraine and Crimea for starters.

It is a matter of personal choice.

You can check Viking, Uniworld, Avalon and Grand Circle, not sure if any have such a deal.

Avalon has never had a ship there. They planned one once but cancelled it way before it was ever deployed.

I would love to see the palaces in St. Petersburg but I refuse to spend money on a government that abuses human rights - think the Ukraine and Crimea for starters.

I understand your position. However, if I took the same position, I would not have been able to have visited Russia, China and a couple of other places that I just had to see.

While working for the US Army from 87-91, I did visit Poland, East Germany and Czechoslovakia, which were still Communist countries. I was glad that I was able to visit those countries prior to their freedom from Communism. It was a real education to see how low those countries had dropped in standard of living and pathetic infrastructure under the old system.

Going to Russia and later China, we learned quite a bit about how those countries have evolved since the collapse of the Soviet Union and in China the transition to largely a free market country.

It I s and you might want to c h beck out Celebrity Baltic Caps and st. Petersburg. Sails from and returns to Southamton for about 12 days. St Petersburg is exquisite and I can't wait to go back.

In addition to Viking, I can find offerings on Scenic, Uniworld and Gate1. It is never clear to me if any of these companies owns their ships. Pretty sure that Gate1 charters (by the cruise, less than full time), while I think the others lease (at least for a full season with some painting rights), but possible there is some ownership. There are also internet ads in English that seem to be Russian companies that offer to sell to US passengers.

Thom

When I went a few years ago the tour operator in the UK used Vodohod which I believe was the biggest operator of ships in Russia. I know they offered just the cruise part of my trip on some of their ships. One of the sister ships traveling with us most of the time was full of US travellers on a Gate1 trip.

In addition to Viking, I can find offerings on Scenic, Uniworld and Gate1. It is never clear to me if any of these companies owns their ships. Pretty sure that Gate1 charters (by the cruise, less than full time), while I think the others lease (at least for a full season with some painting rights), but possible there is some ownership. There are also internet ads in English that seem to be Russian companies that offer to sell to US passengers.

Thom

I think only Viking owns their ships.

It I s and you might want to c h beck out Celebrity Baltic Caps and st. Petersburg. Sails from and returns to Southamton for about 12 days. St Petersburg is exquisite and I can't wait to go back.

Many cruise lines have Baltic cruises that stop in St. Petersburg for 2-3 days as part of their itinerary - not limited to Celebrity. I personally think Moscow is also amazing and worth seeing.

Many cruise lines have Baltic cruises that stop in St. Petersburg for 2-3 days as part of their itinerary - not limited to Celebrity. I personally think Moscow is also amazing and worth seeing.

We are leaving in a few hours for our Grand Circle small ship cruise to the Baltics. We will spend two days in St. Petersburg. I am anxious to see how close to town we dock since we are on a small ship (98 people capacity).

We only need to get a visa this time if we planned on going off on our own. If we stay with the GC guides we do not need one.

We did Russian Revealed with GC a few years ago. Coral, I agree with visiting Moscow. I really enjoyed our stay there.

We are leaving in a few hours for our Grand Circle small ship cruise to the Baltics. We will spend two days in St. Petersburg. I am anxious to see how close to town we dock since we are on a small ship (98 people capacity).
Please come back and tell us where you docked. Some years ago I was on Azamara (~700 passengers) and we docked downtown (Lt. Schmidt embankment) and could see Hermitage and Cathedral from the ship. MUCH nicer than out in the main cruise port.

Thom

Going to Russia today would likely be less expensive than when we visited in 2011. When we were there the Ruble was at 27-28 per US dollar. Today the rate is 65 to the dollar.

Several years ago I remember it was costing $500 for a hotel near Red Square. A few months ago I remember looking and could get a 5 Star hotel for $150. We are talking really, really nice hotels.

We only need to get a visa this time if we planned on going off on our own. If we stay with the GC guides we do not need one.

We did Russian Revealed with GC a few years ago. Coral, I agree with visiting Moscow. I really enjoyed our stay there.

Report back. I will be very curious!

Have a great trip!

Edited by Coral

Thanks, everyone, for your responses. I agree with the dilemma about putting money into an unconscionably corrupt regime, and we're still weighing that up. And thanks for the thoughts and tips about cruises vs city visits. It sounds like the reduction in cruises is a reflection of the general downturn in people's willingness to visit.

Brett

..po

Absolutely agree....we did the river cruise with Vantage from Moscow to St. Petersburg and Moscow is indeed amazing and worth seeing....but poster was interested in St. Petersburg without rest of Russia and I was offering an alternative. I mentioned Celebrity 'cause that's the one I'm taking. :D

Edited by Hydrokitty

Thanks, everyone, for your responses. I agree with the dilemma about putting money into an unconscionably corrupt regime, and we're still weighing that up. And thanks for the thoughts and tips about cruises vs city visits. It sounds like the reduction in cruises is a reflection of the general downturn in people's willingness to visit.

Brett

Yes - several lines have pulled back, others have reduced sailings.

I still think it is worth visiting and honestly, it was so dang expensive the last time I was there, it would be worth it to visit when the dollar is strong. I visited once when it was the Soviet Union when it was "un-cool to visit". So glad I saw it then as it is a completely different place now (can you say traffic!).

Yes - several lines have pulled back, others have reduced sailings.

I still think it is worth visiting and honestly, it was so dang expensive the last time I was there, it would be worth it to visit when the dollar is strong. I visited once when it was the Soviet Union when it was "un-cool to visit". So glad I saw it then as it is a completely different place now (can you say traffic!).

You mean O.M.G. TRAFFIC..:D We did this trip with Vantage because they were the only one that had us in hotels in Moscow and in St. Petersburg to avoid what could be a very long bus ride from boat to city. It has gotten so bad that now they have underground walkways for crossing streets in both cities...downside to that is the tunnels are where the thieves hang out. We're going back to St. Petersburg next August and I can't wait to go there again. I absolutely loved that city! There was enough left from the old days that made me glad I didn't see it then.....very depressing.

There was enough left from the old days that made me glad I didn't see it then.....very depressing.

Let's see - we went to the Hermitage with out crowds, we went to Peterhof with out crowds, saw Grand Palace there with out crowds, walked around downtown of both cities and didn't notice any crime, no one in our group was pickpocketed. From a tourism stand point - it was easier to see.

Please come back and tell us where you docked. Some years ago I was on Azamara (~700 passengers) and we docked downtown (Lt. Schmidt embankment) and could see Hermitage and Cathedral from the ship. MUCH nicer than out in the main cruise port.

Thom

I am currently on the ship in St. Petersburg. We are docked by the first bridge coming into the Neva River from the sea. There was a Seven Seas ship across the river from us, but they left this evening. That ship was small enough that it could turn around in the river. Our location is about 3/4 mile from The Hermitage.

Have a cherry bliny for me....too die for. Never mind the meat or potato filled...go straight for the fruit!!!! :D If Peterhof is offered as an optional, it's worth the cost....absolutely magnificent, make you understand what really caused the revolution!!!