St Maarten ? RC or on your own

My sister wants to see both sides of the island, and of course visit the french bakery. Since we are visiting on a Sunday I know that most shops will be closed, so really don't want to spend a lot of money.

Should we do the RC excursion? a private tour? or try to find a taxi :eek: we've never done this before, to take us to both sides?

Thank s for any tips or advice!

My sister wants to see both sides of the island, and of course visit the french bakery. Since we are visiting on a Sunday I know that most shops will be closed, so really don't want to spend a lot of money.

Should we do the RC excursion? a private tour? or try to find a taxi :eek: we've never done this before, to take us to both sides?

We were just there in September and we went on a Sunday. We booked a tour through Bernard's Tours and we saw both sides of the island. It was a great tour, we went to the bakery, and I feel like we really got to see everything and got a lot of history. I don't know about the RC excursions since this was the only time we've ever been, but I can highly recommend Bernard's.

St. Maarten is one of my favorite islands. If you want to see both sides of the island, you can book a tour with Bernard's for a very reasonable price, and have a great day. They will take you to several places on the island, including some beach time at Orient Beach, a stop on the French side (yes, we went to the French bakery,) and Maho beach to watch the planes landing.

http://www.bernardstours.com/tours.html

Any of those choices will be fine, its an easy island to negotiate and with good taxi access. Take a look at Bernard's tours, it may be perfect for what you want.

St. Maarten is one of my favorite ports of call!

Every time I am there, I rent a car. There is a Hertz with an office right at the port and you can book in advance online. The cars are kept about a two minute shuttle ride away.

Very easy island to navigate, and the car gives you complete freedom and flexibility.

We used Bernard's Tours in February (our first visit to St. Maarten) and had a fun day. We picked the tour that included time at Orient Beach (not the "shopping tour"). We did have a little time in Marigot to grab some food at Sarafina's (the French bakery the OP mentioned); it was terribly disappointing. Half of the pastries we purchased were stale. Ended the tour with the obligatory visit to Maho Beach.

For first time visitors, we thought it was a good way to spend the day.

United%20over%20Maho%201024x697_zpsiynpsr8b.jpg

(photo by turtles06)

We really like orient beach so last 5 or 6 trips we just jump in a taxi and spend several hours there then go back to ship and shop in that area before getting on ship ( I have heard nothing but good things about Bernard's tours over the years )

We had never been there before, but we didn't sign up for a tour or excursion. We got a cab to Marigot and walked around there for a couple of hours, then we got a cab to Maho Beach, rented a lounger and stayed there for a couple of hours and watched the planes, waded in the water..... If you're at Maho (or maybe even the other beaches), you need to get a taxi to make sure your back at the ship on time - our on board times was 4:30 - the taxi driver recommended we be at the taxi area in Maho around 2:00-2:15.

This is one of the best islands for going on your own and not the cruise line.

Last time we went to St Maartin it was very quiet and we got a limo to chauffer us round the island and visit Maho beach for $90. A private limo, driver and choice of where to go for just over 3 hours. It would have been $60 for the two of us if we could have got another couple to share.

It was so quiet and we were the only ship in port and had a very small number of passengers so we paid the little extra for the limo.

The duty free in the port is amazing.

We rent a car and drive around the island at our leisure. It's very easy to get around.

Also very flexible and inexpensive especially if doing this with another couple. We typically find and prearrange our car rental online.

Go to the St. Martin forum on port of call board for the Caribbean for recommendations or do an online search to find other options.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2352917

Edited by robtulipe

I'll tell you what we did and it worked out GREAT!

We got off the ship late (after 10a) and went to get a taxi to Orient beach. As we were heading to Orient beach, the driver offered to be our tour guide/driver for the entire day. There were 6 of us and he offered a cost of $150. We agreed.

Here's what we ended up doing:

* Feeding iguanas (I don't know if that's the "iguana farm" Bernard's Tours talks about, it was a small roadside stop)

* Orient Beach (about 15-20 minutes)

* Grand Case Beach (about 90 minutes, had lunch at Scooby's ($55 for all of us)

* Marigot (Sarafina's Bakery, about 20 minutes)

* Maho Beach (about 60 minutes)

* Straw Market for souvenirs (about 15 minutes)

And we were back at port at 3:55p (all aboard was 4:30p).

We ended up tipping an extra $30, so $180 for 6 of us. Granted, no rum punch, but I never asked for any either (I'm sure he would have stopped).

I know everyone here has said they visited the bakery on a Sunday, so maybe we just went on an off day, but on our trip last summer to St Maarten, the bakery (and all other shops on the French side) were closed. We were the only ship in port and went in August which is a slow tourism time, so that might be why. A lot of the shops on the Dutch side right across from where the cruise ship docks were also closed, but not as many as on the french side.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums