Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

My labrador had many, many ear infections until I started using Malacetic Otic wash once a week. Never had another one after that. You might consider it.

I am cruising Nov 8 with my friend and her seeing-eye dog. I am afraid Princess might send us to Nassau instead of Grand Turk. I am wondering the same thing...should we start Bahamas paperwork now?

Will they give us enough notice for another port? What if it is St. Kitts -- what I read was a 30 day quaranteen, which means we would cancel the cruise.

Do others have the same experience with St. Kitts? Mandatory 30 day quaranteen?

Thanks.

The paperwork that got you onboard the cruise ship should be good for the various ports, even if they're asking for something different or special! If they insist, then the dog and one of you can be left onboard while you take turns in port. As was said, you may NOT leave the dog in the cabin alone!!!!!

Remember: Unless you are traveling to a third world country, no one has the right to SEPERATE you [or your friend] from your Service Dog. No one will take your dog to be placed in quarantine EVER!

My past experience with Princess, they obtained the Bahama permit a few weeks prior of sailing when we were at Princess Cay's. They had all the information from Access Dept. Don't no if same procedure for Nassau. We don't get off on British Islands, because of the Rabies Titter. Even though test results are in compliance, another Rabies shot is required. We canceled our Royal Princess ABC islands for Dec. 03, because final payment was due day after Irma. We are about 30 mi North directly on the Gulf where she made land fall and thought for sure we may be wiped out if she came in more westerly plus the storm surge. We are about 100' from the Gulf. Luck was with us as winds were NE and SW. We evacuated with Snickers. Gathered up some wood chips in a bag and a plastic drop cloth for Snickers to use inside a garage during the storm. Very stressful.

Oh! No! I bet it was stressful. I'm so glad that the laws for rescuing and sheltering pets was changed after Hurricane Katrina. Now, your pet can go where you go.

Please take care, we are all thinking of you and wishing you well!

Vet gave me a cleaning solution, too, since I live in a hot climate that promotes ear infections. I use it whenever I groom Raylene. She hates it, but I sweeten the deal with peanut butter in a Kong.

I found refills for the ear solution online at a much lower cost than the vet charges. No prescription needed.

I did the same thing - my vet prescribed the cleaning solution and after the first bottle was gone I started buying it on-line a a lower cost.

Danne

Roz,

We use TrizULTRA + Keto. I think I bought the last bottle at EntirelyPets.com.

Glad to hear you are back on your feet!

Dianne

Wexler is the king of ear infections. Depending if it's bacteria or yeast, we also use the trizultra. Well we did use that, now that I went and got the bottle. Ours is PhytoVet Ket flush, which as I understood was just a different manufacturer than Trizultra. Now I'm curious to know because I'm paying alot for something I thought was an RX. I will ask Wednesday because of course he's got an infection. They now have this gel for the bacteria infection that they put in once and that's it.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Forums mobile app

So I booked a cruise over a year ago...and guess what - It's almost here! We fly out to Miami next Thursday and board Celebrity Equinox on Friday for a 10 day cruise to the ABC islands. We have an aft cabin - our favorite and 4 perks!...premium beverage package, pre-paid gratuities, $600 in credit and the internet package. The frustrating thing about Celebrity is their website only shows about half of these so I have printed out everything I can think of in case of any issues when we board.

Key West has been replaced by Jamaica so I see a relaxing day on board for that port...I do hope all the ports that have experienced severe damage can recover as quickly as possible, but a lot of work to do.

The worst part is leaving Lucy - but our neighbors take good care of her; she sleeps at night with their youngest son - she is lonely as she lost her BFF a few months ago - I haven't even been able to tell you all about that passing, and just a couple of weeks ago our cat Silly also left us - the boss of the house so we are still adjusting.

I'll try to post from the ship but honestly we are just planning on taking it easy.

Keith

Roz,

We use TrizULTRA + Keto. I think I bought the last bottle at EntirelyPets.com.

Glad to hear you are back on your feet!

Dianne

Thanks Dianne, I feel much better.

I've been using ear drops that were created by a friend, who's a pharmacist in Arizona. They aren't even FDA approved. But, after his Lab had recurring ear infections and he seemed to be spinning his wheels with Vet appointments and treatments, he decided to go into his own laboratory and create a solution. He did. The drops are absolutely amazing and have kept Horton free from ear infections since 2012. He suffered horribly before I started these drops. I can't even get a RX for them because their privately made. I keep a supply in my refrigerator at home and ALWAYS take a bottle with me when we go on a cruise. When I run out I call him and he sends me more........sounds ridiculous doesn't it. Honestly, I'd do anything to keep Horton from suffering like he used to.

That said, what if my pharmacist friend decides he's not going to get a patent on his creation and stops making it? I need to know of other solutions. I'm willing to try your ear cleaning stuff, if it works for Horton, that would be wonderful.

So I booked a cruise over a year ago...and guess what - It's almost here! We fly out to Miami next Thursday and board Celebrity Equinox on Friday for a 10 day cruise to the ABC islands. We have an aft cabin - our favorite and 4 perks!...premium beverage package, pre-paid gratuities, $600 in credit and the internet package. The frustrating thing about Celebrity is their website only shows about half of these so I have printed out everything I can think of in case of any issues when we board.

Key West has been replaced by Jamaica so I see a relaxing day on board for that port...I do hope all the ports that have experienced severe damage can recover as quickly as possible, but a lot of work to do.

The worst part is leaving Lucy - but our neighbors take good care of her; she sleeps at night with their youngest son - she is lonely as she lost her BFF a few months ago - I haven't even been able to tell you all about that passing, and just a couple of weeks ago our cat Silly also left us - the boss of the house so we are still adjusting.

I'll try to post from the ship but honestly we are just planning on taking it easy.

Keith

Keith, your cruise sounds wonderful, even though there are some changes, it won't matter once you're onboard.

I'm so sorry to hear about the losses in your life. Please know that I understand the pain and am saddened for you. It's so amazing how their lives are so inner-twined with ours. They're locked into our souls and the immense grief that the loss of them brings us can only be quelled by looking into the eyes of another. I know you know what I mean......as do the rest of you who have felt this loss!!!! I send my warm and loving hugs to you ♥

Try to have a relaxing and meaningful cruise experience!

Keith

Keith - as Roz said we all understand how you and your family must be feeling right now. Lucy will miss you when you're on holiday but it sounds like she will have a great time herself with lots of cuddles from her young human friend.

Please don't worry about posting from the ship - we would only be jealous anyway! ;p :cool:. But it would be nice to hear from you that you are having a lovely time!

Keith - Wishing you a fabulous cruise, a super relaxing time, in the sunshine, enjoying your beverage package - ha ha ha - definitively my sort of cruise! Bon Voyage!

Keith, your cruise sounds wonderful, even though there are some changes, it won't matter once you're onboard.

I'm so sorry to hear about the losses in your life. Please know that I understand the pain and am saddened for you. It's so amazing how their lives are so inner-twined with ours. They're locked into our souls and the immense grief that the loss of them brings us can only be quelled by looking into the eyes of another. I know you know what I mean......as do the rest of you who have felt this loss!!!! I send my warm and loving hugs to you ♥

Try to have a relaxing and meaningful cruise experience!

Thanks Roz...I am sure we will have a great time.

Keith - as Roz said we all understand how you and your family must be feeling right now. Lucy will miss you when you're on holiday but it sounds like she will have a great time herself with lots of cuddles from her young human friend.

Please don't worry about posting from the ship - we would only be jealous anyway! ;p :cool:. But it would be nice to hear from you that you are having a lovely time!

Keith - Wishing you a fabulous cruise, a super relaxing time, in the sunshine, enjoying your beverage package - ha ha ha - definitively my sort of cruise! Bon Voyage!

Thank you Fairbourne - I definitely plan on keeping the bartenders busy!

If you are from Canada you should look at the requirements of the Canadian Food Inspection Agency. They have a different International Health Certificate than the US version. This website looks like it is a good place to start your research:

http://www.inspection.gc.ca/animals/terrestrial-animals/exports/live-animals/health-certificates/pets/eng/1321265624789/1321281361100

If it were me, I would contact NCL and tell them that sand will not work for your dog (it is a huge mess and will be tracked all over). I would definitely practice with your dog ahead of time. My dog has a box in our backyard that she always uses so its no big deal and she is trained to go on any surface.

Dianne

THanks Dianne, I will check out that link. Just got the new itinerary today so can do all my homework for various ports now. I will make the request for no sand. Thanks for that tip as well.

I don't remember if we've discussed this before or not, but it does bear repeating:

I have decided that I hate going to the pet store to pick up Horton's Eukanuba kibble and then going online to get ALL his other supplies so I made the decision a few months ago to have everything delivered to my work. I throw it in the back of my car and go straight home.

I use Chewy.com for his kibble and C.E.T. chews, they keep a copy of my credit card on file and notify me when it's going to be delivered.

I use EntirelyPets.com for his JointMax and Salmon Oil and since they're cheaper for the chews I will buy a few more bags of them. They deliver within a few days.

Horton is crazy for these chews and they seem to keep his teeth, gums and breath in good shape. Although, I do notice that he still gets tarter on the back teeth, which need to be brushed by me and a visit to the Vet for professional cleaning about every 6 months.

I DON'T pay shipping on either delivery and it's so darn convenient.

I swear his upkeep is catching up to mine! :o

Cruise itinerary changes came out today and we finally know our new ports. I'm Canadian and will be driving down to sail out of New York.

We've sailed before, but our son's service dog is new and this will be our first trip. I'm trying to get as much info and paperwork done right away as I know Dec will come quickly. But I have to admit, now that I''m looking into it, it's a bit overwhelming and intimidating. Starting to wonder how many ports we will actually all be able to go to as a full family with our dog. I'm trying to remain positive and get everything completed as quickly as possible.

I'll list our ports, in hopes that some of you may know some info or have some feedback about them.

Port Canaveral, Florida

Great Stirrup Cay, Bahamas

Nassau, Bahamas

Costa Maya, Mexico

George Town, Grand Cayman

Ocho Rios, Jamaica

Back to New York

NFLDpenguin, I see you're Canadian. What do the cruise lines say when you tell them you want to bring a service dog aboard? Have you ever been turned down? I am aware that Canadian provincial and national laws do not address the right of a Canadian to bring a service dog on a cruise ship the way the U.S. laws do, but I believe that some cruise lines simply extend the courtesy to Canadians that they give U.S. cruisers with service dogs. I'm deeply interested in your experience.

NFLDpenguin, I see you're Canadian. What do the cruise lines say when you tell them you want to bring a service dog aboard? Have you ever been turned down? I am aware that Canadian provincial and national laws do not address the right of a Canadian to bring a service dog on a cruise ship the way the U.S. laws do, but I believe that some cruise lines simply extend the courtesy to Canadians that they give U.S. cruisers with service dogs. I'm deeply interested in your experience.

Although we are experienced cruisers, our service dog is new so it will be the first cruise with the service dog. There was no issue with NCL at all, They just told me to provide the same required documentation. That's what I'm looking into now. Trying to make sure I have all the correct documents for the ship as well as any ports we're stopping at.

Cruise itinerary changes came out today and we finally know our new ports. I'm Canadian and will be driving down to sail out of New York.

We've sailed before, but our son's service dog is new and this will be our first trip. I'm trying to get as much info and paperwork done right away as I know Dec will come quickly. But I have to admit, now that I''m looking into it, it's a bit overwhelming and intimidating. Starting to wonder how many ports we will actually all be able to go to as a full family with our dog. I'm trying to remain positive and get everything completed as quickly as possible.

I'll list our ports, in hopes that some of you may know some info or have some feedback about them.

Port Canaveral, Florida

Great Stirrup Cay, Bahamas

Nassau, Bahamas

Costa Maya, Mexico

George Town, Grand Cayman

Ocho Rios, Jamaica

Back to New York

First: You're going on a cruise how bad/difficult or intimidating can anything be to ruin that glorious feeling?

I'm assuming you're flying to New York. Your dog will be in the cabin of the plane with you. Do NOT let anyone convince you that your dog must be crated in the luggage compartment. A Service Dog stays with his handler and is NEVER separated from him/her!

Please contact your Vet, make an appointment within 30 days of leaving and ask if they have the equivalent to the Aphis 7001 form used in the U.S. There is a separate form used by the Bahama's [although, I must tell you when we went there I did NOT get any special form and was allowed to enter with no problem.] I was onboard a Celebrity ship at the time. Your Vet will write down all current immunizations, check your dogs over-all health and write down that your dog has no skin problems and is on Flea and Tick abatement meds, along with HeartGuard. [The Aphis Form has all the necessary information for your Vet to fill out.]

You will have to meet with Immigration officials, either every time you enter a new port or, at least, a few times during your cruise. You will be called by the Purser's Desk early in the morning and they'll tell you where to go. I got so frustrated on our 19 day Panama Canal cruise that I told the officer who called that they need to come and get Horton and take him to meet with the official because I was too tired! It was 6:00am......I'm at my worst at that time!!!! They said OK and an officer came to get him and brought him back within the hour.

If you have a veranda you can INSIST that the potty box be placed on it. Ask that the bag of filler be left near the box [so you can add some if need be] and that they leave a trash receptacle for you to drop the solids in. Bring lots of potty bags with you because they will only provide huge bags that are useless. Email and call the Special Needs/Access Dept. of NCL:1-800-327-7030 and tell them to have Cypress Mulch or an equivalent for the box. NO SAND [you're not bringing a cat onboard!]

If your dog has been formally trained by a certain training org. make sure you bring the training paperwork too. CCI gives us a card with a picture of us and our dog, along with what Service he does and when his next evaluation is due. It just makes travel life so much easier.

The more paperwork you have about your dog the better. Have 3 copies ready. Give one to the folks at registration, give one to the Purser's Desk, have one on you when you go to the various ports [just in case an official asks about your dog] keep the originals in your cabin safe.

Be prepared for strays in different ports and watch-out for strangers who will distract your dog and ask a myriad of questions. Be ready to be stopped by your fellow passengers who are missing their furbabies and want to know; WHERE DOES YOUR DOG GO TO THE BATHROOM? Do allow some time for patting your dog. Everyone is in awe of the Service Dog and how brilliant they are! Because they know if they brought their pet onboard it would be a disaster for everyone!!!! ;p

Keith

So sorry to hear about your fur babies - so heartbreaking to lose a beloved family member.

Have a great time on your cruise. I always do the same thing with Celebrity - take a copy of the paperwork showing the perks. So far I haven't had any problems.

Dianne

I use Chewy.com for his kibble and C.E.T. chews, they keep a copy of my credit card on file and notify me when it's going to be delivered.

I use EntirelyPets.com for his JointMax and Salmon Oil and since they're cheaper for the chews I will buy a few more bags of them. They deliver within a few days.

I do the same thing Roz - I have Henri's food and chews on autoship from Chewy. So darn convenient! I buy her Salmon Oil capsules at Costco. I have her cans of organic pumpkin delivered from Amazon. I buy the pouches of pumpkin for travel from Chewy too.

Henri has used the CET chews since I have had her, but recently has been throwing them up so I am not sure what is going on there.

Dianne

I do the same thing Roz - I have Henri's food and chews on autoship from Chewy. So darn convenient! I buy her Salmon Oil capsules at Costco. I have her cans of organic pumpkin delivered from Amazon. I buy the pouches of pumpkin for travel from Chewy too.

Henri has used the CET chews since I have had her, but recently has been throwing them up so I am not sure what is going on there.

Dianne

Dianne, I love the pumpkin pouches, I'm going to look into those.

It was CCI that recommended the C.E.T. Chews and I've consistently used them since I came home with Brenda in 2002. I find that if the chew is too thick that Horton will have loose stools, and this may be causing Henri to throw up. So, I'm now buying the medium size chews instead of the large. They're not quite as thick and I may even go to the small size. I used to cut them in halves or thirds but we found that they were making our automatic cutting machine dull so my boss asked that I not use it anymore for Horty's chews. Oh! Brother!